Craftsman ratchets from Lowes, two out of two, from two different states and purchased 18 months apart, very poor performers

Around 8-10 years ago (when everyone knew it was coming but before it all fell apart) I was in the Sears tool department in Florence, KY to buy some small thing. There were two HS or college aged guys behind the counter. There was a bucket full of ratchets and a box of new parts. They told me that when they weren’t waiting on customers they were expected to refurbish all the broken ratchets customers brought in, and to hand out the rebuilt ones as exchanges.

Quality doesnt need to cost a lot of money. The Made in USA Williams 72t round head Superrachet is a great ratchet with some of the nicest knurling ever put on a ratchet. This is the 7 &10 inch 3/8 drive.

Oh yeah. Remember those now after seeing photo. They were very decent + priced tools.

I've given up on buying new cheap ratchets and tools. I use my tools too much to be frustrated by them. The China ratchets (didn't matter what brand) would work fine for a few months before they would start skipping teeth, and I'm not using them for anything extreme. I've been very happy with the old Craftsman, SK Tools, and Snap-on stuff I've bought used on ebay. It has all been flawless and very cheap, you just have to be patient and watch the auctions.

The only time I will buy a tool from Harbor Freight or a box store is when it is something that I will need to modify anyway, like a wrench I need to grind down or cut to fit in a tight spot and use once or twice.

Reactions: GON
Back