Snap On Sockets, Ratchets and Wrenches?

Will I notice the performance difference over old US made, Craftsman tools? Now, the ratchets are an obvious huge upgrade, but what about the wrenches and sockets?

I'm not a professional wrench turner and money is not a factor in the decision.

You'll notice a difference if your craftsman sockets and wrenches are so old that they aren't flank drive.

But snap on isn't 'noticeably' better than other modern sockets and wrenches from Tekton, Sunex or Carlyle, etc with flank drive.

And I own like $6,000 of snap-on tools...
They are not flank drive. They are 1980s vintage Craftsman.

I have all three tools you are looking at from them. Not a full set of sockets though as I feel their sockets are very overpriced and overrated so I don’t buy them at least not the chrome ones. My hodgepodge mix of sockets will do me fine many of which are Craftsman USA. Here is my thoughts: Ratchets, love them nobody beats them in my opinion and preference. My Matco comes out occasionally but I will always grab Snap-on first. One of my 1/4 ratchets is so smooth you can’t hear it turning. Wrenches: also my go to. I have a backup set of Craftsman but I can’t tell you the last time I used those at work except when I need SAE because that’s all I have in SAE at work. At home I’ll use Craftsman but always grabbing my Snap-on at home if I have it in the size I need. Snap-on wrenches are excellent. If you choose not to buy their combination wrenches buy their line wrenches at least. Nobody period beats the line wrenches. But I love their combo wrenches. Everyone here told me I was crazy for buying the combo wrenches from Snap-on because of the price but I got them on sale so I was able to get the 10-19 set and the 20-24 set all for under what the 10-19 set goes for when not on sale. Best $500 I ever spent right there.

I feel their sockets are very overpriced and overrated so I don’t buy them at least not the chrome ones.

I really like chrome Snap-on 1/2" drive sockets, They're thin walled & very stout. Every lug nut I remove is with a SO Chrome Socket & have never busted one.

I have a Chrome SO 1-5/16" socket for Dana 60 Pinion Nuts, Requires a thin walled socket. Haven't found anything else that will stand up long term & fit into every Pinion Yoke.

Ive found that I like different brands for different things… You will feel a difference in the ratchet. Maybe there is something better out there but the snap on high tooth count ratchets are great. I like the plain metal or hard handles. Not a big fan of the comfort grip handles for that.

For sockets, I have some snap on and the less finished Williams type, but I like my US craftsman, Armstrong, SK, and proto as much.

Life is too short for cheap tools. Often used tools & sizes I like grabbing the best. Not just fit but the feel and looks are rewarding when working on something with Snap On tools. I do have craftsman still for something like a 32mm wrench that I need once every few years. Also I really like the Craftsman professional ratchets from early 2000s. If you have the standard 30 tooth or whatever cheap Craftsman ratchet or the clear plastic handle screwdrivers the best thing you will ever do is replace them with a quality item. Just an opinion of course.

There are so many good professional grade tools available, It's going to come down to your personnel preference. If you want Snap-on tools.....Try to find a local Rep.
I know it will vary, but typically, how much could I save by finding a local Snap On tool truck and purchase tools from him vs. purchasing though the Snap On website and paying full retail?

I know it will vary, but typically, how much could I save by finding a local Snap On tool truck and purchase tools from him vs. purchasing though the Snap On website and paying full retail?
Depends on the item, but on average, about 1/3 off if you work around their schedule and pay cash.

IMO, Snap On ratchets are excellent and so are their chrome sockets.

I don't think their wrenches are worth the extra coin.

Back