Craftsman ratchets from Lowes, two out of two, from two different states and purchased 18 months apart, very poor performers

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I travel a lot and am often unable to bring tools with me. I end up buying tools tools where I can.

Over the last 18 months I purchased two Craftsman ratchet/ socket sets from Lowes. On was 3/8, the last was 1/4. One set purchased in Texas, the other in Illinois. Same results with both sets- the ratchets were very poor performers. The lever to switch direction was very sticky and hard to move, and the engagement of the ratchet in the desired direction required supplemental effort.

Lesson learned- the Craftsman ratchets sold at Lowes appear to be very low functionality/ quality. On a plus note- the case they come in is pretty nice.

PXL_20230710_151820540.jpg

The new Craftsman stuff is hit and miss. The made in China stuff is pretty cheap. I broke a long reach 3/16 allen socket with little to no torque applied. I contacted their warranty support and after sending them a picture and the receipt, they sent me a whole new set. The new set appears to be made different and might be made in Taiwan.

I’ve been really disappointed in Craftsman tools lately.

Their boxes are OK, and I’ve bought several recently.

But the only Craftsman hand tools I’ve bought recently were from an antique store in Ivor, VA when I was up buying a Wilton vise. Found a nice 1/2” ratchet (made in the USA) and a good 7/8” (made in the USA) combination wrench.

So, for a guy flying in and then using tools, I’m not sure what to recommend - perhaps try Carlyle at NAPA? They seem decently made at a reasonable price.

I have yet to meet a Craftsman ratchet that I have been impressed with.
I'm not just talking about the new stuff, I'm talking about the old as well.
They have always been loose with lots of slop in the mechanisms.
I have always found the sockets, extensions, etc. to be fine.
Generally, a lot of value in the sets.
I'm still using and probably will never get rid of a couple of sets that my Grandmother bought me in the late 70's when I was in High School.
However, I have upgraded the ratchets.

So, for a guy flying in and then using tools, I’m not sure what to recommend - perhaps try Carlyle at NAPA? They seem decently made at a reasonable price.

I have found Kobalt (if the available store has a decent selection) to be a step up from Craftsman.
I have even found with some due diligence that some of the Husky stuff at HD is decent.

My primary sockets, extensions, combination wrenches are all from my circa-2000 Craftsman set. I no longer use the ratchets and haven't bought anything Craftsman in quite some time.

Honestly, while not impressive in anyway, I've had good luck with Husky tools. Good luck as in they seem to operate just fine and haven't broken yet. I'd buy them before I bought Craftsman, at this point.

The Pittsburg Pro ratchets from HF are not bad at all and priced low enough. Their newer style composite ratchets are great, when it is freezing and you need to do some work on broken down OPE you really appreciate it. They are strong enough for normal work without a cheater pipe. Carlyle are good but retail price is getting close to top tier and are also Taiwan made like the Pittsburg or Kobalt.

I travel a lot and am often unable to bring tools with me. I end up buying tools tools where I can.

Over the last 18 months I purchased two Craftsman ratchet/ socket sets from Lowes. On was 3/8, the last was 1/4. One set purchased in Texas, the other in Illinois. Same results with both sets- the ratchets were very poor performers. The lever to switch direction was very sticky and hard to move, and the engagement of the ratchet in the desired direction required supplemental effort.

Lesson learned- the Craftsman ratchets sold at Lowes appear to be very low functionality/ quality. On a plus note- the case they come in is pretty nice.
Maybe the ratchets just need to be used more and get "broken in"?

The inexpensive Husky ratchets from Home Depot or Pitt Pro from Harbor Freight might be a better bet for quick and cheap on the road.

The age old question: How important is quality to you?

Are you willing to spend massive amounts of money just so the ratchet is a pleasure to use?

If the answer is yes, I can pick one out for you and the UPS man will bring it to your door. :cool:

I have enough old USA Craftsman ratchets to last the rest of my lifetime, thank goodness. When my father in law passed he had half a buckets worth of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2's. I took 3 or 4 of the quarters, 3 or 4 of the halfs, and about 8 of the 3/8. Some were new and unused that he'd gotten from a Sears that closed here in the late 80's. Some were from when he'd owned a garage in the 70's.

Me and 2 of his son's sat and made sets of sockets from the loose ones that he had in buckets. I only took a couple of sets of each, I didn't account for my kids loosing a dozen (and me too....) so I have to replace a socket once in a while. But ratchets - I have them in spades. Even have a set of the polished ones. Those are quite nice, as Pablo mentioned.

He was a flea marketer and when a local business announced that it would close, he showed up with a wad of cash.

The age old question: How important is quality to you?

Are you willing to spend massive amounts of money just so the ratchet is a pleasure to use?

If the answer is yes, I can pick one out for you and the UPS man will bring it to your door. :cool:
Quality doesnt need to cost a lot of money. The Made in USA Williams 72t round head Superrachet is a great ratchet with some of the nicest knurling ever put on a ratchet. This is the 7 &10 inch 3/8 drive.

Many moons back my regular 1/2" died. Went to Sears, they were out of stock so they gave me this style. It's a darn fine ratchet.

View attachment 166370
I was going to mention those 75T's. They're pretty nice, but heavy.

The old school 60T's were actually really nice.

But yeah, if I were traveling and had to buy tools and there was a HF, I'd go there. Probably HD second, and maybe TSC third. If you're fortunate enough to be somewhere with Menard's, that might be another solid option.

I gave away or sold my made in China Craftman ratchets.

My go to ratchets are Tecton, Williams, Ko-ken and vintage Craftman. My Milwaukee 1/4 drive 9” handle and 3/8 drive 12” handle ratchets are useful very low back drag.

Back