Snap On Sockets, Ratchets and Wrenches?

@JWC86 @Trav @The Critic
I want a Koken or Nepros 1/4" ratchet. No flex head, just a standard ratchet.
I got overwhelmed looking on line. I see Koken and Ko-Ken and who knows what.

Would you be so kind to make a recommendation with part number if possible, and maybe a vendor?
A thousand thank yous!
Are these both Japanese?

The Koken is backordered, 10 weeks out.

Last edited:
Jeff, the Nepros version of what you stated is the NBR290.

I’ll let someone more informed than me on Koken help you with that one.

@JWC86 @Trav @The Critic
I want a Koken or Nepros 1/4" ratchet. No flex head, just a standard ratchet.
I got overwhelmed looking on line. I see Koken and Ko-Ken and who knows what.

Would you be so kind to make a recommendation with part number if possible, and maybe a vendor?
A thousand thank yous!
Are these both Japanese?

The Koken is backordered, 10 weeks out.
I love this wrench:

Honestly what you'll notice is quality. I have a "collection" as I'm a shade tree and I do use Craftsman as many of the go to tools other than my Snap On S936's that I got from pawn shops. I paid around $40 each. But I also have Snap On 80 tooth and I think one might be 100 tooth? Cannot afford their sockets wrenches but do have some impact sockets all obtained used. Again, is it worth it to feel quality in your hands? Why not :ROFLMAO:

Always thought it was cool Snap On tools are date coded. I think I have some from the 50's-60's

Depends on the item, but on average, about 1/3 off if you work around their schedule and pay cash.

IMO, Snap On ratchets are excellent and so are their chrome sockets.

I don't think their wrenches are worth the extra coin.
My dad always liked SK. I bought some SK Superkromes around 2004. It's astounding how much the price went up. I also have Craftsman full polish which must be from around 2009 or so, I'd have to look if they still said USA at that time.

Just Gearwrench 90T locking flex heads. I thought having a set of locking flex heads would come in handy but it’s been VERY rare that I find myself in a situation where they are more useful than a non locking flex head.
Ditto. I tend to find a locking flex head annoying

My dad always liked SK. I bought some SK Superkromes around 2004. It's astounding how much the price went up. I also have Craftsman full polish which must be from around 2009 or so, I'd have to look if they still said USA at that time.
SK is dead to me. Somehow they royally screwed up the new LP90s which looked as sexy as Margot Robbie in Wolf of Wall Street but were as psychotic as Margot Robbie in Suicide Squad

SK was great once but there's simply been too much corporate and financial turmoil

I still have some old Craftsman full polished wrenches that are a little older than 2004 but if you look carefully there is a small K on them for SK.
Now SK seems to have gone to the dogs.

Just Gearwrench 90T locking flex heads. I thought having a set of locking flex heads would come in handy but it’s been VERY rare that I find myself in a situation where they are more useful than a non locking flex head.
Their new design 120 tooth locking flex-head ratchets are an improvement over their prior locking flex-head ratchets.

Will I notice the performance difference over old US made, Craftsman tools? Now, the ratchets are an obvious huge upgrade, but what about the wrenches and sockets?

I'm not a professional wrench turner and money is not a factor in the decision.
go with Pittsburgh professional.......they work good. "ICON" is another brand at harbor frieght.

Reactions: D60
Will I notice the performance difference over old US made, Craftsman tools? Now, the ratchets are an obvious huge upgrade, but what about the wrenches and sockets?

I'm not a professional wrench turner and money is not a factor in the decision.
I have a good bit of sockets that are craftsman. So far they are fine. I don't turn wrenches for a living, so those that do probably need better sockets. I have replaced some sockets i lost with newer craftsman. The easy read laser sockets seem to be fine. THE NEW RATCHETS SUCK.

I bought a new style craftsman socket set to keep in my travel trailer. It sucks. Ratchets have gigantic heads. The sockets seem thicker walled than previous taiwan sockets.

I have older craftsman ratches, blackhawk by proto ratchets, some snap on ratchets.

The snap on line wrenches are the way to go, i have a set they don't open up when you torque them.

Wright tool makes a great flank drive style wrench that is way better than any of my older craftsman wrenches. Wrightgrip 2.0. USA made.

Wright tool makes a great flank drive style wrench that is way better than any of my older craftsman wrenches. Wrightgrip 2.0. USA made.
Slightly OT, but other than for bleeder screws or to hold the nut (while turning the head), how often does one even use a combo wrench?

I use my flex-head Mountain ratcheting wrenches a ton, but combo wrenches are probably the biggest waste of space in my drawer.

Slightly OT, but other than for bleeder screws or to hold the nut (while turning the head), how often does one even use a combo wrench?

I use my flex-head Mountain ratcheting wrenches a ton, but combo wrenches are probably the biggest waste of space in my drawer.
Just as you state, backup a ratchet for bolt/nut tightening. Some times for hub bearing bolts where a socket won't fit.
I turn wrenches for myself, someone like you who does it for a living, space is probably a premium for all the specialty tools you need that I don't have.

I like wrenches better for bolts with short heads where a ratchet with more stand-off tends to not stay seated.

For some reason I like wrenches more for mower blades.

Your going to pay full retail and possibly more off the truck.
Why is that? I've read the tool truck guy's cost is about 2/3 of retail. He has lots of room to negotiate a price.

Why go to the hassle of tracking down a tool truck just to pay retail, when I can order online and have it delivered for the same price?

Why is that? I've read the tool truck guy's cost is about 2/3 of retail. He has lots of room to negotiate a price.

Why go to the hassle of tracking down a tool truck just to pay retail, when I can order online and have it delivered for the same price?
The tools trucks here seem to set their own prices which is more than the catalog price.

The made in USA Williams sockets do the trick for me. The Williams round head 72 tooth ratchets and long dual 80 Snap on are some of my favorites and relativity inexpensive in the case of the Williams for a USA made quality tool. Wrenches are Hazet, Stahlwille and old SK.
My tool box has many different brands but its all good stuff.
Yeah, l think my Williams deep USA impact set is as good as Snap On all day long.

I have all three tools you are looking at from them. Not a full set of sockets though as I feel their sockets are very overpriced and overrated so I don’t buy them at least not the chrome ones. My hodgepodge mix of sockets will do me fine many of which are Craftsman USA. Here is my thoughts: Ratchets, love them nobody beats them in my opinion and preference. My Matco comes out occasionally but I will always grab Snap-on first. One of my 1/4 ratchets is so smooth you can’t hear it turning. Wrenches: also my go to. I have a backup set of Craftsman but I can’t tell you the last time I used those at work except when I need SAE because that’s all I have in SAE at work. At home I’ll use Craftsman but always grabbing my Snap-on at home if I have it in the size I need. Snap-on wrenches are excellent. If you choose not to buy their combination wrenches buy their line wrenches at least. Nobody period beats the line wrenches. But I love their combo wrenches. Everyone here told me I was crazy for buying the combo wrenches from Snap-on because of the price but I got them on sale so I was able to get the 10-19 set and the 20-24 set all for under what the 10-19 set goes for when not on sale. Best $500 I ever spent right there.
I like their wrenches too!

Back