valvoline vs pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
why does it take so much longer for vwb to turn black on the stick?
i would say it wasnt cleaning but i have black specs of stuff in my filter now with gold oil.
i would say the pyb was just sludging up but look at my explorer its clean as new in there.
so i have proof that both clean but they work differently. i cant tel which one is working better because they are completely different

My completely un-educated opinion says both are the same and neither will allow any harm to come to your engine that the other would've prevented. No clue on cleaning, but I highly doubt either one will cause any sludging when changed regularly.

That being said, if I had a choice I'd probably go Valvoline. The only reason I say that is b/c Pennzoil *still* doesn't have their PDS files on their website. As people have pointed out, the PDS files are available on Shell's website if you search for them. But to me that makes it worse, it's not hard for them to add the files to their website, so what's taking so long?

off topic here, but i ONLY run VWB sae30 in my small engines, and nothing pours like it, i love the smell, and it takes forever to "discolor". Granted im comparing a sae30 in a 20hp air cooled kawasaki engine to a 200hp 5w20 in a ford, but i just notice these things

I think if you based it on somebody's UOA's really don't make any sense because everybody has a different vehicle.

They also say the cleaner the engine the more efficient and less wear.

But on a newer engine it don't matter since both are great oils.

Also if it's a short OCI then everything considered equal, then both would act the same in protection.

I went from Vavoline Durablend from the dealer to changing it myself to PU.

I think with both these oils its a placebo effect because they are both GREAT OILS.

Get whats on sale.

Originally Posted By: casperfun
Vavoline Durablend

How did you like the Durablend? I may give it a try. They have an oil change special with it at AAP.

PZLOLD.jpg

PZLZ.jpg

PZLNEW.jpg

PENNZOIL

This isn't scientific.......but here goes. At work like other shops we do oil changes. It brings people in to try to sell them stuff (everybody knows the game). Anyway, we use Valvoline everything. Engine oil, trans fluid, filters.

You know the few seconds (5 to 20 seconds) it takes to fill the oil filter up. Well the repeats that use Valvoline almost always tick, rattle or make some kind of sound for those 5 to 20 seconds. This is not every single make/model. I never hear this sound on my cars. I know everybody takes care of their cars differently and some cars are harder on oils than other etc. However I have several 3800s rattle too. So not scientific but just what I see daily.

I have used Pennzoil since my first job and it has done fine for me. Of course your experiences will vary but I vote Pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: casperfun
Vavoline Durablend

How did you like the Durablend? I may give it a try. They have an oil change special with it at AAP.

Personally, I thought the Durablend was quieter. As you know it was smooth driving from my perspective.

I also like the brochure which I read at the dealership. It said something about being good for hard driving, stop and go traffic and towing. Yet they say that about good synthetics too.

Well it was the best of both worlds I guess.

But yes I am guilty and fell into the FULL synthetic world but trust me I use it to its fullest potential and like the extended OCI's. In the 10,000-15,000 mile range!
36.gif

I am using PU because of the PP rave reviews all over the net and I thought PU was a higher better version. Then I will use Amsoil because I bumped into some at a local store.

Then maybe go back to PU or try Edge. Leaning towards PU because its gf-5 (over Amsoil), unless I am real happy with the Amsoil and I might retry it.

The brand name means nothing to me. I try to stay objective and buy based on empirical data whenever I can. I do not buy blindly into a brand name.

Both of those companies make good products so I would just look at the PDS/TDS and purchase based on that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jakegday
Originally Posted By: electrolover
any educated opinions??

nope, none so far.

but another vote for valvoline right here....

I will give you a my take. In the long long run your engine longivity will be the same on both of these oils. Pennzoil has been the best the best selling PCMO for how long? Valvoline has
a great product also. Either way you can not make a bad choice.

Originally Posted By: QuadDriver
they spell their names differently and have diffent colored bottles. that about sums up the differences.

other opinions will range from 'complete destruction of your motor with no survivors' to 'it makes you hotter to the babes'

...and Valvoline is clearer and lighter in color coming out of the bottle.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
they spell their names differently and have diffent colored bottles. that about sums up the differences.

other opinions will range from 'complete destruction of your motor with no survivors' to 'it makes you hotter to the babes'

for a website thats all about oil i would expect something more complicated than they are all the same
confused2.gif

for a website thats all about oil i would expect something more complicated than they are all the same
confused2.gif

The common oils meet the specs that they should are made to a price point and for 99.675840231% the oils are more than adequate. There are other oil companies and blenders that make oils that work better for more severe use in Syn and dino base oil .Usually if the extra isn't needed or used there is little if any advantage.

Then we would not know what we are talking about!

confused2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back