Use Valvoline Restore Protect in VW without VW 508.00 oil specification?

What problem could I face for using Valvoline Restore and Protect 0w20 in my Volkswagen golf sportwagen, which calls for 0w20, even though the Valvoline doesn't meet VW 508.00 oil specification? I've been using Mobil 1 since buying the car new, and now at 55,000 miles I thought maybe this Valvoline would be good to clean out any sludge that might have accumulated. Forget about warranty issues. I'm just curious to know what this VW 508.00 specification is all about and what mayhem might occur if I use the Valvoline.

What problem could I face for using Valvoline Restore and Protect 0w20 in my Volkswagen golf sportwagen, which calls for 0w20, even though the Valvoline doesn't meet VW 508.00 oil specification? I've been using Mobil 1 since buying the car new, and now at 55,000 miles I thought maybe this Valvoline would be good to clean out any sludge that might have accumulated. Forget about warranty issues. I'm just curious to know what this VW 508.00 specification is all about and what mayhem might occur if I use the Valvoline.

I have seen what BMWTurboDzl posted and that is a Red Flag on Motorapido!
A bigger Red Flag is that you have been using Mobil 1 since buying the car new, you use the words Sludge and might, but you have not shown us any evidence that you have an issue or a problem. Specifications are specificatications!

I think this new Valvoline Oil is geared towards cleaning out Ring Deposits!

If you’re concerned about ring deposits, use HPL EC with your VW-spec oil and don’t try to extend OCIs.

These days with the Europeans downsizing and “thinner” oils are being specified, there is now closer alignment between API SN Plus/SP and ILSAC GF-6A with ACEA C5-C7 but the OEs are free to deviate with their specs.

You should not be needing any "restoring" from a 55,000 mile vehicle that has been running Mobil 1 unless you been running extended intervals the whole 55,000 miles.

I would stick with Mobil 1 in this case.
80 percent of those miles were long highway trips of 100-plus miles non-stop. The balance came from shorter trips of 10 miles or so mixing short highway and suburban road driving. I highly doubt I have been building up sludge, but after reading the marketing hype for Valvoline Restore and Protect oil, I figured if it does no harm I'll give it a try at my next oil change even though I don't likely have anything to clean out of my engine. And that was what led to my specific question when I initiated this thread. Since Valvoline Restore and Protect isn't VW 508.00 certified, although it meets almost all the other certifications I know about, will I harm my engine if I use it in the proper 0w20 variety? This is what I can't find an answer to in my online research: What the heck is so special about the VW 508.00 specification, and how much mayhem could I cause my engine by using an oil that doesn't meet that spec? (And let's not get sidetracked by whether I need to clean and de-sludgify my engine. I'm sure I don't, but if the Valvoline will do me no harm, I might as well use it now and then in the remote chance that it will do me some good. I want to focus on figuring out what the VW 508.00 specification is and whether I will cause damage by using Valvoline Restore and Protect, which doesn't meet that VW spec.)

The V. R&P(all grades) is API SP and ILSAC GF-6A, the VW 508.00 is what it is.

That VW spec is higher in (anti)wear, sludge, deposits, soot thickening, aftertreatment compatibility, just a tiny bit better oxidative thickening and the same on fuel economy.

Lets take these one by one.

First off, what i state above is directly the V. R&P 0w-20 vs a good quality oil that actually has that VW 508.00 spec/license.

The sludge and deposit parts are two specific things that the V. R&P are supposed to take care of. Soot and oxidative thickening, if your engine causes these, can be taken care of by not using the V. R&P as an extended drain oil, keep it to 5k miles and not 10k or more and it should not be a problem at all. Does your engine have aftertreatment devices? If so, is it burning 1 qt. (or more) of oil every 500 miles? If not, i wouldn't worry about it.

However, if you use the V. R&P 5w-30, certain, specific things change. You would be increasing the HTHS by about .6, which means your increasing wear protection. Your fuel economy(mpg) would see no change, zilch, zero, nada. You would have to up the HTHS to crazy level to see a difference in mpg. VW508.00 has HTHS of equal to or greater than 2.6. V. R&P 0w-20 has HTHS of equal to or greater than 2.6. Valvoline R&P 5w-30 has HTHS of 3.2. All V. R&P is also API resource conserving oil.

That answers your specific question, just don't use it as an extended oil to eliminate any possible issues and that the 5w-30 version has an advantage.

I also want to state that i couldn't care less if you use Valvoline or not, or any other oil for that matter. I don't have stocks in Valvoline. I don't work for or used to work for Valvoline or any other oil company. I've never worked for any of the additive companies. My retirement doesn't depend on ANY of these. ....AND Valvoline does not sponsor me or any other oil/company.

Curious. You joined BITOG in 2019 and this is your first post?
I understand your dubiousness but i would also apply it to long standing members here and everyone really. Critical thinking is always good, sometimes things aren't exactly as they seem. I've read comments here that go directly against known science and known properties, for example, that (specific) polyolester (POE) as used in certain high performance oils has no solvency, which is completely false.

just finished a round of R&P with EC30 in it for 5k in the woman’s honda. looks clean other than the fill baffle.

IMG_6036.jpeg

IMG_6037.jpeg

What year and engine is that in your Sportwagen calling for 508/0W20? Has to be the 1.4?

At 55K you are fine...stop worrying about sludge. I'd run the oil with the correct approval and drive. 508 has shown to be a non-issue in the engines that call for using it if you spend some time reading/researching.

I see OP with 3 posts last seen a month ago likely isn't going to reply...haha

Restore & Protect is gimmick marketing and Mobil 1 is a totally solid product that there's no reason to switch away from.

Back