Valvoline Synthetic Oil

I believe a key to potentially using is how has your engine been maintained , what type oil you use , what oil filter you use , what is your OCI and how well you maintain / change out your PCV ? … If you use a good name brand D1 / Gen 3 synthetic oil , Fram Ulter (or equivalent) oil filter , 5K Mile / 6 month OCI and keep your PCV in hood shape - then your engine should be in good shape and the new Valvoline oil should not be needed . Conversely , buying a used vehicle - then all bets are off and I would try the new Valvoline for a couple of OCI’s for cleaning . Lastly , I would probably use the New Valvoline for a couple of OCI’s back to back on a well maintained engine every few years (just for residual cleaning).

How soon before the surgeon will let you crawl back under the vehicle for an oil change?

I'm not a Valvoline fan anymore either. Besides the ownership-thing, they use too much Calcium in their Dexos oils.
Their Calcium level reads above 1000 (Valvoline generally reads 1400-1500), Mobil-1, Castrol Edge EP and Pennzoil hang around the 8-900-mark lately.

Everyone seems to be on the anti-carbon (carbon neutral) bandwagon lately. The more Calcium in these Dexos oils - the more carbon.
No thanks!
I sure did like it's performance / quietness level under the hood and do miss using it. It was recently voted by Seoul South Korea citizens as the quietest engine oil this side of the DMZ zone. The Poll was taken in my overnight Dreams.

Last edited:
How soon before the surgeon will let you crawl back under the vehicle for an oil change?

I'm not a Valvoline fan anymore either. Besides the ownership-thing, they use too much Calcium in their Dexos oils.
Their Calcium level reads above 1000 (Valvoline generally reads 1400-1500), Mobil-1, Castrol Edge EP and Pennzoil hang around the 8-900-mark lately.

Everyone seems to be on the anti-carbon (carbon neutral) bandwagon lately. The more Calcium in these Dexos oils - the more carbon.
No thanks!
I sure did like it's performance / quietness level under the hood and do miss using it. It was recently voted by Seoul South Korea citizens as the quietest engine oil this side of the DMZ zone. The Poll was taken in my overnight Dreams.
I will be down for about 3 months at least, I think the R&P has less calcium. About 1100, I didn't know high calcium causes carbon...🤔

I will be down for about 3 months at least, I think the R&P has less calcium. About 1100, I didn't know high calcium causes carbon...🤔
Wishing you all the best with recovery. I had my fusion in 2010 which was told same time frame. Rest is key for first month then working back to normal. I didn't get comfortable for 2 years then woke up one morning and couldn't believe how good I felt. Been almost 14 years and now it feels like it is getting worse. I had 12 good years and still walking. Mine ruptured so emergency surgery was done. I don't regret getting it done although I am now disabled. Most people make a mistake and go have another surgery before healing is done. Oh Valvoline has never caused any problems for me.

Last edited:
Wishing you all the best with recovery. I had my fusion in 2010 which was told same time frame. Rest is key for first month then working back to normal. I didn't get comfortable for 2 years then woke up one morning and couldn't believe how good I felt. Been almost 14 years and now it feels like it is getting worse. I had 12 good years and still walking. Mine ruptured so emergency surgery was done. I don't regret getting it done although I am now disabled. Most people make a mistake and go have another surgery before healing is done. Oh Valvoline has never caused any problems for me.
I have been disabled since 2011 with COPD and asthma, I have had a bad back for many years, couple years ago, if finally got to a point, my knees were giving out, my sciatic, was constantly being pinched, I was constantly having spasms, I was diagnosed with herniated discs, spinal stenosis, ruptured discs.. now I have screws, rods etc . God knows whatever else.. LOL.. You won't do it again?

Hope you feel better soon. I have a friend that had to get vertebraes fused years ago and it sucks. Gotta be real careful with how you move and any small accident where you slip and fall is scary.

Restore and protect is nowhere near as effective as the premium blue restore that people think about which was commissioned by cummings to fix their poor design. Restore and protect is likely no better than any euro oil or standard hdeo in regards to cleaning. After using regular 15w-40 for the first few years the oil consumption in my yukon slowed before disappearing 2 years ago and almost disappeared by now in my sierra which had the worst consumption of the two and i still did extended drains on both.

Castrol edge euro 5w-30 has a ton of calcium, more than hdeo's and if your engine isn't a turbo gdi you'll be fine. Readily available at Walmart for $28 I believe. I bet it'll be more effective at cleaning than restore and protect which a voa showed it having little esters and standard additives. Pbr has a high ester count which does lots of cleaning much faster.

Last edited:
Thank you very much., I'm probably going to go ahead and use, Valvoline extended protection. I really don't anything to clean, as far as I know my vehicle's always been very well kept, it's always had synthetic blend or full synthetic, anywhere between 3 to 5000 miles. And probably just switch to 5W30

Thank you very much., I'm probably going to go ahead and use, Valvoline extended protection. I really don't anything to clean, as far as I know my vehicle's always been very well kept, it's always had synthetic blend or full synthetic, anywhere between 3 to 5000 miles. And probably just switch to 5W30

I vote for Maxlife full synthetic. Always liked it in older GM I had

Conversely , buying a used vehicle - then all bets are off and I would try the new Valvoline for a couple of OCI’s for cleaning . Lastly , I would probably use the New Valvoline for a couple of OCI’s back to back on a well maintained engine every few years (just for residual cleaning).
This oil does nothing special. Literally it's a marketing exercise.

I have been disabled since 2011 with COPD and asthma, I have had a bad back for many years, couple years ago, if finally got to a point, my knees were giving out, my sciatic, was constantly being pinched, I was constantly having spasms, I was diagnosed with herniated discs, spinal stenosis, ruptured discs.. now I have screws, rods etc . God knows whatever else.. LOL.. You won't do it again?
If I get to the point of not walking and legs giving out, then yes. Doctors wanted me to have neck surgery at the two month recovery and I said no. I am a believer that you leave well enough alone until you have no choice. I learned to live with a high tolerance for pain, however the falls and dropsy are aggravating. I can do only what my body allows.

If I get to the point of not walking and legs giving out, then yes. Doctors wanted me to have neck surgery at the two month recovery and I said no. I am a believer that you leave well enough alone until you have no choice. I learned to live with a high tolerance for pain, however the falls and dropsy are aggravating. I can do only what my body allows.
I can definitely relate to that.. I definitely wish you the best..

Well some of you know I just had back surgery on Tuesday, first day I'm feeling well enough to make a post.. I'm still in a great deal of pain I had spinal lumbar fusion and decompression surgery.
My question is in regards to Valvoline oil restore and protect, I remember a lot of people posting that they were going to try it, those people if you tried it did you notice any difference?? Because I'm considering trying Valvoline Advanced in 5W30 instead of Mobil 1 in 5W20

Thank you.
I hope your recovery goes well.

I had a decompression laminectomy on Sept 1st, definitely helped with the compressed nerves.

My wife had a decompression laminectomy done and then had the spinal lumbar fusion. She was in the hospital for a week, her recovery was rough. While I can’t say I feel your pain as I have not had a spinal fusion done ( and hope I never do) I can feel your pain with what I saw her go through. She had to use a walker for a while and still has some leg and back pain. They want to do some new procedure where they go in and burn the nerves but she is all set with that.

I do hope your recovery goes well

I hope your recovery goes well.

I had a decompression laminectomy on Sept 1st, definitely helped with the compressed nerves.

My wife had a decompression laminectomy done and then had the spinal lumbar fusion. She was in the hospital for a week, her recovery was rough. While I can’t say I feel your pain as I have not had a spinal fusion done ( and hope I never do) I can feel your pain with what I saw her go through. She had to use a walker for a while and still has some leg and back pain. They want to do some new procedure where they go in and burn the nerves but she is all set with that.

I do hope your recovery goes well
Thank you.. I really appreciate, your thoughtfulness.. I wish you and your wife well..

So has anyone seen any results from r&p? Like extra junk in the oil filter or something?

Back