I Would Like to Try a 5W30 in my 2022 Pathfinder

Valvoline 5w30 synthetic has an HTHS of 3.2 which is higher than most non-Euro lubes and why I personally picked it. HTHS is a better indicator of thickness than cst@100.

Quaker State is 11.7 cst@100? Many Shell lubes for passenger cars are thin for grade I need to look into that.

There's a few post on an infinity forum (pathfinder clone) where a dealer tech has seen squishy, deformed or collapsed PCV valve hoses on some of the effected 35DD's but no one knows if it's the cause or a symptom.

As you've probably seen on yours, these engines turn the oil jet black in no time.

We've owned ours since 2019 w/ 25k miles on it. Ours was an ex rental.

For a few years I was keeping track of all the sludge threads, but I've lost count now.

I own another GDI Nissan in my 2022 Frontier. The VQ38DD. Currently just shy of 20k miles. This engine doesnt blacken the oil nearly as bad. I've run 5w30 in it as well.
I do 5K intervals on my 2020 QX60 (VQ35DD) using Rotella Gas Truck 5w-20 and I do NOT see the same blackening of the engine oil. I also didn't notice that symptom when the dealer gave me a freebie using Mobil synthetic 0w-20 (not Mobil1). I continue to use 5w-20 for my climate and have considered 5w-30 like I use in my VQ35 powered Infiniti sedan, which remains quite clean at age 17 and nearly 130K. I don't do ANY city driving. Maybe that has something to do with it. Also, in my experience my older VQ35 runs noticeably stronger and probably cleaner on top tier premium fuel vs. regular.

Last edited:
Not sure if they correlate with your newer VQ, but my VQ40 was noisy on Edge. It was fine with M1, QSUS and the old Castrol Syntech - FWIW.

Also, the noisy probably didn't bother anything beyond my OCD.

That depends on whether you care about fuel economy or engine protection. Don’t let the manufacturers fool you into thinking you can have both. If you use their 0w-20 then you’ll be buying a new car within like 50,000 miles which is EXACTLY what they want
They'll last longer than that but 0w-20 has shown to accelerate timing chain wear and on turbo engines It can decrease the bearing's life unless the oil temps are known and they dont pass 190f. There are some vehicles whos oil temps hover around 170-190 and in those cases a thinner oil will act like a thicker oil at higher temps. But most of these modern high efficiency engines run the oil hot so I'd use something thicker. My low mileage 2021 escalade is already burning 0w-20 so i stopped using it.

Ok boys, just got back from Walmart, went with Valvoline EP 5w30, I have some factory nissan filters in stock.

Lets see how my "Butt Dyno" feels after this oil change, wish me luck .... I'm goin in !

After two pages of posts, only the thread starter, JTK and I have the engines in question. Everyone else is just speculating on this particular subject and this motor.
I don't have to own one of these engines to understand one. I don't have to use a thick (or thin) lube to understand the benefits and limitations, either. What's your point here? That unless we own something we can't understand it?
That's poppycock.

I don't have to own one of these engines to understand one. I don't have to use a thick (or thin) lube to understand the benefits and limitations, either. What's your point here? That unless we own something we can't understand it?
That's poppycock.
The point is first hand experience specific to a particular engine. That's not poppycock.

But 10w-30 would be even better protection and no real difference in MPG. And a 15w-40 would be even safer yet. Also adding an extra quart or two will help reduce oil degradation.

Mobil 1 EP 0w20 came out, Valvoline EP 5w30 is IN, now lets see how she drives.

CAFE no longer has a hold on me, I feel liberated !
I’m planning on Valvoline Extended Protection in my next change. I used the standard Advanced this time around simply because it was for a short change 3400 mile break in run.

Back