I Would Like to Try a 5W30 in my 2022 Pathfinder

FMC

After much back and forth over 0w20 vs 5w30, I would like to try a 5w30 in the Pathfinder 3.5L V6.

Factory is 0w20

So based on viscosity at operating temperature,(100*C /212*f) what 5w30 would you guys recommend ?

Mobil 1 - 10.7
Mobil 1 EP -10.1

Castrol Edge - 10

Pennzoil Platnium - 9.8

Quaker State Ultimate - 11.7

Valvoline Extended Protect - 10.7

I'd b running 5-30 in a Pathfinder. You never mentioned OCI so keeping it generic, I prefer Mobil 1 as I've had excellent results for decades but of the oils listed - ANY will do well with a reasonable OCI & decent filter.

I wasnt sure if I should pick a viscosity closer to the 20 grade range, or go to with the heavier 30 grade like the Quaker State at 11.7 ?

Im not concerned with Brands

I run 5w30 in the VQ35DD in my 2019 Pathfinder. Same engine as your 2022.

I encourage you to read up on all the severely sludged VQ35DDs out there if you haven't.

There is a few theories on why, and some are due to neglect of course, but there appears to a problem with these particular GDI V6s.

I don't exceed 3500mi between OCIs on ours. Currently 90k miles on it.

I run 5w30 in the VQ35DD in my 2019 Pathfinder. Same engine as your 2022.

I encourage you to read up on all the severely sludged VQ35DDs out there if you haven't.

There is a few theories on why, and some are due to neglect of course, but there appears to a problem with these particular GDI V6s.

I don't exceed 3500mi between OCIs on ours. Currently 90k miles on it.
Yes, Im aware of this problem, I think the direct injection is part of the problem, so I have been doing 3000 to 4000 interval, the car has 14,000 miles on it, and within 1500 miles after oil change the oil is sooted very dark black.

Reactions: JTK
Yes, Im aware of this problem, I think the direct injection is part of the problem, so I have been doing 3000 to 4000 interval, the car has 14,000 miles on it, and within 1500 miles after oil change the oil is sooted very dark black.
There's a few post on an infinity forum (pathfinder clone) where a dealer tech has seen squishy, deformed or collapsed PCV valve hoses on some of the effected 35DD's but no one knows if it's the cause or a symptom.

As you've probably seen on yours, these engines turn the oil jet black in no time.

We've owned ours since 2019 w/ 25k miles on it. Ours was an ex rental.

For a few years I was keeping track of all the sludge threads, but I've lost count now.

I own another GDI Nissan in my 2022 Frontier. The VQ38DD. Currently just shy of 20k miles. This engine doesnt blacken the oil nearly as bad. I've run 5w30 in it as well.

There's a few post on an infinity forum (pathfinder clone) where a dealer tech has seen squishy, deformed or collapsed PCV valve hoses on some of the effected 35DD's but no one knows if it's the cause or a symptom.

As you've probably seen on yours, these engines turn the oil jet black in no time.

We've owned ours since 2019 w/ 25k miles on it. Ours was an ex rental.

For a few years I was keeping track of all the sludge threads, but I've lost count now.

I own another GDI Nissan in my 2022 Frontier. The VQ38DD. Currently just shy of 20k miles. This engine doesnt blacken the oil nearly as bad. I've run 5w30 in it as well.
Do you have any particular 5w30 that you use ?

Back