I Would Like to Try a 5W30 in my 2022 Pathfinder

I own a vehicle spec'd for 5/20
it gets 5/30 - and has for a couple dozen thousand miles. 5w30 is a good 1 size fits all - in MOST gasoline street vehicles. Some like up to 10w40 no matter what. I've seen more than a few say that 'since 50 is used in such and such high performance application that Xw50w MUST be the best', therefore I will use it.

I said something along the lines a few days ago to someone. If you look at all of the data here - it's pretty clear that any variety of major label oil in just about any weight from 0-20 to 10-40 will work just fine in just about any (gas) street vehicle. As always, there are a few exceptions. 5 30 is a very good grade of oil. Most quickie lubes have a big huge tank of 5 30 that gets filled up every so often. Most of them use a good label oil, I'm sure there are some that use 'maybelube', but most use something like Valvoline or another SOPUS product. It gets pumped into vehicles spec'd for Xw20's and Xw30's. A good portion of American vehicles run just fine on it until they get shipped off to Mexico or junked due to old age. As long as you change it every 5-9k it just doesn't matter. You tow 8000 lbs, this does not apply.... You drive your Ford/GM/Honda/Kia/Hyundai/Subaru/Nissan* etc... 15-20k a year - just change your oil at least twice in that time and you are muy bien to go. Change 3 times and you are extra muy bien to go.

*Drive a Chrysler and you need a new vehicle already. **

**jk...jk.... some folks don't like my sense of humor. They report me :cry:

Last edited:
The point is first hand experience specific to a particular engine. That's not poppycock.
I don't disagree with that comment.

What I disagree with is the concept that was implied; that if you don't own/operate one somehow that makes other opinions null and void. It's poppycock that because I don't own one, my understanding and opinion about the viscosity issues he's seeking to discuss are not valid.

Just got back from the store, maybe its my imagination, but I think the engine sounds just a bit quieter and smoother during light acceleration, certainly dont feel anything negative.

Just got back from the store, maybe its my imagination, but I think the engine sounds just a bit quieter and smoother during light acceleration, certainly dont feel anything negative.
Give it a bit to lay down it’s add pack and I’m betting you’ll like it even more.

As I stated in another thread-I just purchased a basically new (6,500 miles) 2023 Silverado w/the 5.3. It uses 0w/20. I just planned a vacation. The trip will be all over high elevations of Colorado. I will be towing a 5,000 pound travel trailer. It will run fine and not blow up.
Trying to second guess the manual is nonsense-IMHO.
I had a 2018 Silverado that used the same spec that towed the trailer.

Last edited:
Back