TBN DIY test kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone make a TBN home test kit? Seems like the only worthwhile thing for me to check on an oil if I'm extending OCI. This for the wife's forester. Trying to go the allowed 7500 mile OCI on dino, but a bit nervous. Got RT5w30cj in there now.

Check out Dexsil. We use their titralube with good results. The problem is that the cost/test for TBN approaches that of an entire spectral analysis/TBN via OAI. It is something that we use to verify our validation models with fleet OCI's after a few batches of oil have been put in the lube dispensing systems. You can also use their TAN test kit for monitoring gear lube and transmissions. We like this product a lot because there is very little downtime or waiting involved and essentially a trained simian could perform the analysis.

http://www.dexsil.com/uploads/docs/titra.lube.tbn.pdf

LOL no problem have fun on the TYO (test your own) road
thumbsup2.gif

FYI they aren't kidding about those glass ampules...they can bite you if you are not careful. When you get a kit be sure to push the plunger slowly for your final TBN number because you can overshoot the color change if you go too fast. Seriously though this isn't rocket science and the results are quite repeatable. Now if you need to know your TBN within 0.25 you had best buy some stock chemicals, a fume hood and a potentiometric titration rig.

I thought this thread would be more popular. I guess folks arent much intersted in the MOST useful oil life tool you can have in your garage when you're going for extended drain intervals ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back