2.0 Civic: Extended Protection oils in 0W-20

Ive already posted a thread on my civic a while back, but running the car now for about 6 months got me thinking. I plan on using the OLM on the car and changing it around 15%. Ive driven the car 6500mi so far and the OLM states 50% left. ( I changed the FF at 2000mi ) Seeing as the car may get 10k mi between OCIs, I want to run an Extended Protection based oil, assuming that its not "marketing" and they actually do provide a bit more protection. Its just a commuter that lives on highway miles, not stop and go ( unless there is some traffic on the highway ).

Is there any suggestion on a brand's EP oil that actually lives up to the hype? Or once again, just grab whatever EP oil is sale and use that?

I know the Civic 2.0 NON-DI engine doesnt need anything special, and I also know we have a few members here that have some with mileage as well.

All in all, thanks!

Ive driven the car 6500mi so far and the OLM states 50% left.
The OLM is part marketing, in order to sell potential customers on the reduced maintenance aspect of the car. If you don't plan on keeping the car over 100,000 miles, by all means, follow it's advice. If you expect to drive it well over that, the lowest cost oil that meets the specs changed every 5,000 miles is a better idea. Oil is cheap, especially if you change it yourself.

Change it every 5K. Pretend that OLM is not there, unless you need to re-set it.
My GM Colorado P/U five cylinder (grandson's now) goes off every 10-11k. Been doing it for 20 years now. That vehicle would have been in it's graveyard several years ago, had I stuck with 10k OCIs instead of 4.5k OCIs.

Change it if keeping it longterm - like ours at 20 years. Don't change it and use that OLM, should you sell it by 100k.
I had no idea the Civic still comes with a non-turbo (guessing MPI) engine. Maybe now I can convince the wife to sell her Hamster Kia Soul and get this Civic.

Daughter had a Civic several years ago and my wife liked it a-lot. She drove a dealership Corolla and Cross recently (non turbo) and wasn't too thrilled with it's features. They are basically the same inside the two vehicles. Wife complained about the lack of seating comfort, dash/screen layout, safety electronics missing......etc.....etc.

Last edited:
I only went with EP because I do a lot of short trips

Regular Castrol edge would do great in yours

I have the same engine in my Civic and I'm running the Supertech 20,000 mile 0w20 in it. I also follow the OLM and it's typically around 10k. I'm likely going to switch over to Kirkland 0w20 because it's pretty much the same oil and costs even less.

I have the same engine in my Civic and I'm running the Supertech 20,000 mile 0w20 in it. I also follow the OLM and it's typically around 10k. I'm likely going to switch over to Kirkland 0w20 because it's pretty much the same oil and costs even less.
Have you sent the oil out by any chance to see how’s it’s wearing etc? Just curious because the Costco is not an extended like the 20k ST oil

Have you sent the oil out by any chance to see how’s it’s wearing etc? Just curious because the Costco is not an extended like the 20k ST oil
I haven't done oil analysis with this Civic yet actually. It's true, Kirkland doesn't claim a mileage for it's oils, so it's not known if it's a 10k or a 20k oil. However VOAs of the Supertech 10k vs 20k versions show also little difference between the two.

I haven't done oil analysis with this Civic yet actually. It's true, Kirkland doesn't claim a mileage for it's oils, so it's not known if it's a 10k or a 20k oil. However VOAs of the Supertech 10k vs 20k versions show also little difference between the two.
Interesting… thanks!

In my 2020 Civic with the port injected 2.0 engine I run the regular Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 following the OLM.

My OLM usually triggers 15% at 13,000 km to 14,000 km, which is a reasonable interval for this engine.

I used to dealer service during the warranty. There was an improvement with lower noise and increased fuel economy after switching to M1.

EP is a good choice imo, although I am happy with AFE personally.

Honda OLM works great. It takes into account how you drive, engine temps, etc. It's not just a mileage based timer.

We've got a gen 1 2011 Acura RDX, with 177,400 km. Been tuned on a Hondata Refresh tune since ~100,000 km. 13 years being driven in a city. We've been using the factory OLM whenever it beeps, car runs like a top still. Original turbo and all. This was Honda's first turbo engine from 2006 too. I used Acura/Honda oil until 2019 when I started using mobil1 HM. Switched to Kirkland 5W30 with the last oil change....done today.

edit: Forgot to mention car has also been remote started literally every cold winter day too.

I’ve used both Mobil1 EP and Mobil1 AFE for 10,000 mile intervals in my Toyota with great results. Seeing as how your Civic is non direct injected (like my Toyota), it’s probably easier on oil than most with the right driving conditions. The Mobil1 should handle it well. I’ve also used Amsoil Signature Series, but I think to get your money’s worth out of the Signature Series you’d have to push it beyond 10,000…and that’s what I’m doing now. But I don’t have the stomach for it and will probably bow out at around 12,000-15,000 miles.

Thanks all. From what I’ve gathered too, the engine isn’t nothing special and doesn’t require anything special. I’d still have a piece of mind I think running the EP and hoping that it’s truly a more stout oil versus the average.

Back