Oil for 2018 Ram 1500 Hemi

I have a 2017 Hemi 2500 at work. It's the 6.4L

Was running 5w20 but I switched to 0w40. When it's cold, it clatters bad for a good 30-40 seconds. It's not so bad with 0w40.
I try to keep it plugged in, or just leave it running 24/7 if it's near -30* or colder.
Has about 9,000hrs on it. 24,000 miles
So just out of curiosity, why are you running 5W20 in that 392 when it calls for 0W40?

I only run that 5W20 in my 5.7 because I’m bound to it because of my lifetime warranty. If it wasn’t for my warranty, I’d be running 5W30 in it.

Soooo, the +/- iron content PPM isn’t an indicator of more or less metal on metal wear?
Sure but you are looking at an outcome not a causation. And beyond that all fully formulated oils cause low wear. Any differences are deep in the details and a wide field test such as a random UOA cannot distinguish this tiny difference from the background.

Soooo, the +/- iron content PPM isn’t an indicator of more or less metal on metal wear?

But I’m not purposely drawing any unwarranted conclusions. I’m going off what I’ve read a lot from from other forums but according to you that’s inaccurate so maybe it is faulty understanding.
The iron content measured in a UOA does correlate pretty well with wear rates. The issue is that oil formulation normally has a very small effect on these wear rates, whereas engine operating conditions have a large effect on wear rates.

For instance, iron wear from piston rings and cylinder liners is highly dependent on engine operating conditions, mainly sensitive to high engine loads and cold starts. These components aren't very sensitive to anti-wear additives. In fact, there are no tests in the API standards that even measure this wear.

On the other hand, valvetrain wear is very consistent. These components can be sensitive to anti-wear and FM additives, but for most engines, any oil that is fully formulated to meet a certain standard will perform very similarly. Some engines, like the one chosen for the valvetrain wear test used by API, are sensitive to ZDDP and moly content. However, even for these engines, there may not be a large difference between an oil with 600 ppm phosphorus and one with 800 ppm.

So as an example, an engine may end up with 5 to 6 ppm baseline iron from the valvetrain and timing system, another 1 to 10 ppm from the rings and liners based on engine operating conditions, and maybe +- 1 ppm based on oil formulation. Any effect the oil formulation has gets lost in the noise.

This doesn't mean that some oils are not a lot better than others, it's just that it's not normal wear rates that set them apart.

The iron content measured in a UOA does correlate pretty well with wear rates.
And of course a UOA only samples a very narrow range of particle sizes, which exasperates the issue, which is why one can't draw meaningful conclusions about wear rates from small variances in PPM as observed through a UOA.

So just out of curiosity, why are you running 5W20 in that 392 when it calls for 0W40?

I only run that 5W20 in my 5.7 because I’m bound to it because of my lifetime warranty. If it wasn’t for my warranty, I’d be running 5W30 in it.
I'm not. I'm running 0w40.
Not sure why they were running 5w20 in it.

And of course a UOA only samples a very narrow range of particle sizes, which exasperates the issue, which is why one can't draw meaningful conclusions about wear rates from small variances in PPM as observed through a UOA.
Another factor is that excessive wear usually creates larger particles, which are easily filtered, so most of them wouldn't end up in the used oil even if the test could detect them. So a large increase in wear might show up as a small increase in iron in the used oil.

Metals tend to help form deposits as well, so wear metals might look good on a UOA only because a lot of metal is trapped within sludge and varnish.

There's a study using the radioactive tracer method that shows that the wear rate of some components actually seems to go negative in conditions where the wear rate is low enough, as the radioactive wear particles disappear from the oil through filtering or by other means faster than new wear particles are introduced. This might be why iron ppm/mile tends to trend downward over an OCI.

Another factor is that excessive wear usually creates larger particles, which are easily filtered, so most of them wouldn't end up in the used oil even if the test could detect them. So a large increase in wear might show up as a small increase in iron in the used oil.

Metals tend to help form deposits as well, so wear metals might look good on a UOA only because a lot of metal is trapped within sludge and varnish.

There's a study using the radioactive tracer method that shows that the wear rate of some components actually seems to go negative in conditions where the wear rate is low enough, as the radioactive wear particles disappear from the oil through filtering or by other means faster than new wear particles are introduced. This might be why iron ppm/mile tends to trend downward over an OCI.
And the ICP filters out even much smaller particles than the engine oil filter.

Without pre-processing such as an acid digestion you really cannot consider particles.

Oh and if anybody’s curious about my previous used oil analysis reports, here’s my latest one…

This was the mobil 1 extended performance. Before that on August 28, 2022, that was the Schaeffers 9000 extreme. The August 29, 2021 entry was the Amsoil SS and the first two on the right side of the column was the Pennzoil ultra premium.

View attachment 200894
It dosent matter really. The Hemis don’t need a special oil. semi synthetic Quaker state or super tech is just fine for 6 or 7k. It’s not a good candidate for extended ocis though cause it runs dirty.

It dosent matter really. The Hemis don’t need a special oil. semi synthetic Quaker state or super tech is just fine for 6 or 7k. It’s not a good candidate for extended ocis though cause it runs dirty.
I dunno. I’ve heard quite a bit completely the opposite when it comes to quality, oil type and oil weight so whether or not you’re right or wrong on that, I still choose to use what I think is good quality full-synthetic oil. I just can’t do the 5w30 because of my warranty.

But what are you saying isn’t a good candidate for extended OCI’s, the engine itself or those two oil brands you mentioned? Either way, I try not to go over 6500 miles on mine.

I dunno. I’ve heard quite a bit completely the opposite when it comes to quality, oil type and oil weight so whether or not you’re right or wrong on that, I still choose to use what I think is good quality full-synthetic oil. I just can’t do the 5w30 because of my warranty.

But what are you saying isn’t a good candidate for extended OCI’s, the engine itself or those two oil brands you mentioned? Either way, I try not to go over 6500 miles on mine.
it’s not a hard spec to meet. I use a lot of Quaker state all mileage. Going by UOA 7k is no problem with it.
I’m saying the 5.7 hemi isn’t a good candidate for extended ocis. They run dirty.

I’m at about 12,000 miles and 1 year on this OCI (HPL super car 0w20 and a Mobil 1 filter) in my Ram. I’ll be changing it tomorrow or Sunday and sending out a sample to be tested. Oil doesn’t look horrific, it’s not making weird noises, and otherwise doesn’t seem to mind one bit…. So we’ll see just how dirty it really is.

I’ll be using some decent filter I can actually find (Meijer had NO Mobil 1 or fram ultra filters for either of my cars last week) and HPL super car 0w30.

it’s not a hard spec to meet. I use a lot of Quaker state all mileage. Going by UOA 7k is no problem with it.
I’m saying the 5.7 hemi isn’t a good candidate for extended ocis. They run dirty.
What’s not a hard spec to meet? Are you talking about the Chrysler MS6395 spec?

I guess I just don’t understand how or why it’s relevant if the Hemi does or doesn’t run dirty as I figured sooner OCI’s were more for sludge prevention and just simply keeping fresher oil in it.

But ok, if they run dirty, could that be attributed to or partially attributed to the smaller oil filters they switched to on these engines? Example, the 5.7 Hemi in the 2008 Ram 1500 I had before called for a 57899 Wix OE equivalent filter that was a little taller and a little bit bigger around than the 57060 Wix OE equivalent filter my 2018 1500 uses.

I’m at about 12,000 miles and 1 year on this OCI (HPL super car 0w20 and a Mobil 1 filter) in my Ram. I’ll be changing it tomorrow or Sunday and sending out a sample to be tested. Oil doesn’t look horrific, it’s not making weird noises, and otherwise doesn’t seem to mind one bit…. So we’ll see just how dirty it really is.

I’ll be using some decent filter I can actually find (Meijer had NO Mobil 1 or fram ultra filters for either of my cars last week) and HPL super car 0w30.
Dang, I thought Amsoil SS and that Redline Performance oil was expensive but that stuff’s cheap compared to the HPI stuff you use so I guess I can kinda see why you run it that long.

What’s not a hard spec to meet? Are you talking about the Chrysler MS6395 spec?

I guess I just don’t understand how or why it’s relevant if the Hemi does or doesn’t run dirty as I figured sooner OCI’s were more for sludge prevention and just simply keeping fresher oil in it.

But ok, if they run dirty, could that be attributed to or partially attributed to the smaller oil filters they switched to on these engines? Example, the 5.7 Hemi in the 2008 Ram 1500 I had before called for a 57899 Wix OE equivalent filter that was a little taller and a little bit bigger around than the 57060 Wix OE equivalent filter my 2018 1500 uses.
No, it’s just due to the combustion chamber shape and part of why they use dual spark plugs.

Dang, I thought Amsoil SS and that Redline Performance oil was expensive but that stuff’s cheap compared to the HPI stuff you use so I guess I can kinda see why you run it that long.
Nah, I just like experimenting with stuff.

uh, no the specifications for your shampoo…..
I just wasn’t sure what you were talking about. No need to be a smartass.
No they run dirty regardless of filter size because they leave a lot of combustion by product behind. Apparently this is irrelevant to you, as you mentioned, so why worry about it. Put your Mobil 1 in and run along. It’s certainly not a bad thing.
Hmm, I wouldn’t think they would being how hot these engines run.

But you’re right, I don’t, necessarily but I am curious. That ok with you?

And yeah, I will run the Mobil. Thank you for your kind words.

Most 5w30s become 5w20s half-way thru the OCI.
I’ve heard that before but whether or not they’ll pull an oil sample or request to look at my maintenance records in the event I ever need warranty on my engine, I’d just rather not take that chance.

Back