Oil for 2018 Ram 1500 Hemi

Pennzoil is the Only you should be using in the hemi
Egh, I disagree. I used PUP for the second, third and fourth oil changes and I wasn’t impressed.

Go back up to my post #17 where I posted the Blackstone report and compare the two far right side columns to the other three entries. The far left one was Mobil 1 EP, the one to the right of that was the Schaeffers and the one to the right of that was Amsoil SS… that’s why I ain’t using Pennzoil anymore.

Been running whatever Full synthetic 5w20 that I find on sale/rebate or on rollback at the time in my brother’s 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 from about 130k till now, last change was 210k. He forgets it’s due most of the time so anywhere from 8k to 10k plus it’s brought over for an oil change and it’s still running getting around 20mpg. ( majority hwy). I don’t think the Hemi really cares what it runs as long as it gets changed by the OLM.
He must be one of the lucky ones then because 8 to 10,000 mile OCI’s in these things scares me and I even have one of the last lifetime warranties they were offering, too.

But does he not idle a lot? I hate to admit it, I idle quite a bit and, my commute to and from work is less than 3 miles. The truck is almost 6 and a half years old with only 52,000 miles on it.

He must be one of the lucky ones then because 8 to 10,000 mile OCI’s in these things scares me and I even have one of the last lifetime warranties they were offering, too.

But does he not idle a lot? I hate to admit it, I idle quite a bit and, my commute to and from work is less than 3 miles. The truck is almost 6 and a half years old with only 52,000 miles on it.
Probably not much idling other morning start up for a few minutes. Approximate daily commute is 80 miles round trip, plus kids sports/practices, etc. I probably change the oil about every three months.

Yeah, idling and three mile trips are the worst for it. I’d look at a cost efficient full synthetic like Kirkland/Supertech and just cut back on the change interval.

Guy at work has over 200k on his 2011 5.7L 3/4 ton Ram truck, he short trips a lot and the occasional long trip up to the cabin. He religiously changes every 3k with plain old Valvoline and a Mopar filter.

Probably not much idling other morning start up for a few minutes. Approximate daily commute is 80 miles round trip, plus kids sports/practices, etc. I probably change the oil about every three months.
Well yeah, running them out on the open road at highway speed is best for any engine.
Yeah, idling and three mile trips are the worst for it. I’d look at a cost efficient full synthetic like Kirkland/Supertech and just cut back on the change interval.
Who makes that Sams Club/Walmart oil? Is it good oil? But as it is now with the Mobil 1 full-syn EP or the Schaeffers, both of those UOA’s have given great reports and Blackstone even said from the TBN results that I could’ve gone farther than I have but I still back the OCI down to 5,500-6,500 miles preferred because of my short trips. And when I say I idle, before going to work and before coming home at the end of the day, we’re talking around 5 minute idling average.
Guy at work has over 200k on his 2011 5.7L 3/4 ton Ram truck, he short trips a lot and the occasional long trip up to the cabin. He religiously changes every 3k with plain old Valvoline and a Mopar filter.
Was the cam and lifter failure a thing back in those days? I was thinkin’ it didn’t really start untill the days of the MDS and if I remember correctly, that 5.7 in your co-worker’s truck didn’t have MDS so he’s probably got nothin’ really to worry about like guys like me do.

But does he use a full synthetic even though he changes it every 3,000? I only ask because by ex father-in law did a lot of short trippin’ to and from work in his 2001 Powerstoke and even though he changed his oil religiously at 3k, he still ran a full synthetic.

Egh, I disagree. I used PUP for the second, third and fourth oil changes and I wasn’t impressed.

Go back up to my post #17 where I posted the Blackstone report and compare the two far right side columns to the other three entries. The far left one was Mobil 1 EP, the one to the right of that was the Schaeffers and the one to the right of that was Amsoil SS… that’s why I ain’t using Pennzoil anymore.
I switched from PUP to M1 EP in my 2018 5.7 and think the engine is quieter on M1 EP. MDS engagement seems more positive as well.

But on the other hand a cheap spectrographic analysis is not an adequate means of determining comparative oil quality. People keep trying to cite this but it's nowhere near the proper tool for that job - especially the way it is being used here.

Last edited:
So then if UOA’s aren’t adequate means of determining comparative oil quality then what’s the point of even taking them in the first place and spending the money to have it analyzed? What tool is there for comparing oils?

So then if UOA’s aren’t adequate means of determining comparative oil quality then what’s the point of even taking them in the first place and spending the money to have it analyzed? What tool is there for comparing oils?
This type of inexpensive analysis can show contamination in the oil from various sources such as the cooling system or fuel (as long as the proper test is used), and also indicate TBN or TAN for extended service. Perhaps an impending failure of the engine, but even here this isn't guaranteed if the failure is catastrophic since a UOA can see only very small particles or elements in solution. Larger particles are ignored.

The standardized tests for comparative oil quality are complex and expensive. You're nowhere close with a $30 spectrographic analysis and the myriad of uncontrolled variables in a UOA. You really are seeing a glimpse of how the engine is doing, not the oil.

All of this is a common misconception about what you're getting for $30. Blackstone themselves have stated that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA results from any oil they have ever tested.

This type of inexpensive analysis can show contamination in the oil from various sources such as the cooling system or fuel (as long as the proper test is used), and also indicate TBN or TAN for extended service. Perhaps an impending failure of the engine, but even here this isn't guaranteed if the failure is catastrophic since a UOA can see only very small particles or elements in solution. Larger particles are ignored.

The standardized tests for comparative oil quality are complex and expensive. You're nowhere close with a $30 spectrographic analysis and the myriad of uncontrolled variables in a UOA. You really are seeing a glimpse of how the engine is doing, not the oil.

All of this is a common misconception about what you're getting for $30. Blackstone themselves have stated that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA results from any oil they have ever tested.
Makes sense, I can definitely see what you’re saying on how an oil analysis report can’t really be used for comparing oil qualities in that much of a general sense as much as using it as a tool to see what’s going on in your engine but it would appear to me that the main reason why so many people rely on UOA’s when they test different oils is to compare the additive amounts to see how much wear takes place with one oil to the next and how well that oil holds up compared to the next one versus similar OCI’s and driving styles. I’ve read a lot that these engines do well with a high moly PPM.

My driving style really hasn’t changed a whole lot but it’s interesting to me how the iron content has gone down pretty significant after choosing to not use PUP anymore. I guess that could be attributed to the higher moly ppm in the Amsoil, Schaeffers and Mobil EP, possibly? Which, I will say, those oil samples for the PUP was taken in the early stages of my engine but still, does it take 20,000 miles for a gas engine to get broken in? I would think that after the second oil change my truck had when the copper content went down that that would pretty much mean my engine was good and broken in at that point, yes?

People rely on a cheap spectrographic analysis for lots of things, very few of which are warranted. Vast prognostications on the significance of a particular “dose of moly” or “slug of boron”, and subsequent predictions of relative quality. Lots of times they then try and correlate that to some preferred brand to promote or denigrate, similar to here.

People rely on a cheap spectrographic analysis for lots of things, very few of which are warranted. Vast prognostications on the significance of a particular “dose of moly” or “slug of boron”, and subsequent predictions of relative quality. Lots of times they then try and correlate that to some preferred brand to promote or denigrate, similar to here.
Sorry for the late response but OK, if you’re saying a used oil analysis is pretty much next to worthless for what a lot of people use them for and being that not all oils are created equally, what is a good way to compare one engine oil to the next? Just like a lot of people, I figured a used oil analysis was good enough so that you can at least see how much of what additive an engine oil might have in it and based on other test results, just how far that oil can go on any given oil change interval. Wouldn’t that be considered as useful information?

Sorry for the late response but OK, if you’re saying a used oil analysis is pretty much next to worthless for what a lot of people use them for and being that not all oils are created equally, what is a good way to compare one engine oil to the next? Just like a lot of people, I figured a used oil analysis was good enough so that you can at least see how much of what additive an engine oil might have in it and based on other test results, just how far that oil can go on any given oil change interval. Wouldn’t that be considered as useful information?
Well for one thing a UOA does not show additives, it shows certain elements from decomposed compounds. One may be able to read some of those tea leaves but that's about it. Not all additives are compounds that contain metallic elements either, nor are all compounds the same even if they are composed of similar elements. Molybdenum additives are a good example.

Yes a TBN or TAN can help determine how far you can run an OCI but that's about it.

And yes they are pretty much next to worthless for what a lot of people attempt to use them for. Other than blender or manufacturer reputation and trust, the only real indicator of documented superior performance is having a manufacturer approval that demonstrates that performance. No blender nor manufacturer bases any license, specification nor approval on the results of a cheap spectrographic analysis.

Pretty much the same response as in February, above. Perhaps you missed it.

Well for one thing a UOA does not show additives, it shows certain elements from decomposed compounds. One may be able to read some of those tea leaves but that's about it. Not all additives are compounds that contain metallic elements either, nor are all compounds the same even if they are composed of similar elements. Molybdenum additives are a good example.
So then when an oil analysis shows an amount in parts per million of those additives, that’s not showing how much of said additives remain in the sample? I don’t understand that part. And what is it about molybdenum being a good example of that?
Yes a TBN or TAN can help determine how far you can run an OCI but that's about it.
So then the amount of additives that show in the sample is not a good reason why that would be?

Other than blender or manufacturer reputation and trust, the only real indicator of documented superior performance is having a manufacturer approval that demonstrates that performance. No blender nor manufacturer bases any license, specification nor approval on the results of a cheap spectrographic analysis.
How is that supposed to tell me that one engine oil is better than the other one?

And I never said anything, hinted nor implied about any given engine oil manufacturer that I guess bases their quality from a used oil analysis.
Pretty much the same response as in February, above. Perhaps you missed it.
Well I guess I did miss it or perhaps I didn’t understand it because if I did, I wouldn’t have asked you a second time.

So then when an oil analysis shows an amount in parts per million of those additives, that’s not showing how much of said additives remain in the sample? I don’t understand that part. And what is it about molybdenum being a good example of that?
There are different molybdenum compounds that have varying effectiveness. One oil might show say 100ppm and another might be showing 500. But the oil showing 100ppm is using a more effective molybdenum compound so they can use less of it to achieve the same result as the 500ppm sample.

There are different molybdenum compounds that have varying effectiveness. One oil might show say 100ppm and another might be showing 500. But the oil showing 100ppm is using a more effective molybdenum compound so they can use less of it to achieve the same result as the 500ppm sample.
So without having MSDS’s for the products I’m about to use as examples, the 50 PPM moly in Pennzoil Ultra Premium 5w20 has the same effectiveness or quality as say, the the 300+ PPM of moly in the Schaeffers Extreme 9000 5w20 or the supposedly 400+ PPM of moly in that Redline Performance 5w30?

The reason I ask is because when I ran three oil changes of PUP, my iron content on the oil was pretty high even at 22,000+ miles on the odometer and after using one OCI of Amsoil SS 5w20 and the Schaeffers, the iron PPM went down pretty significantly.

So without having MSDS’s for the products I’m about to use as examples, the 50 PPM moly in Pennzoil Ultra Premium 5w20 has the same effectiveness or quality as say, the the 300+ PPM of moly in the Schaeffers Extreme 9000 5w20 or the supposedly 400+ PPM of moly in that Redline Performance 5w30?

The reason I ask is because when I ran three oil changes of PUP, my iron content on the oil was pretty high even at 22,000+ miles on the odometer and after using one OCI of Amsoil SS 5w20 and the Schaeffers, the iron PPM went down pretty significantly.
Not necessarily. You can dump a ton of the more potent moly into an oil, or do a mix of them. On a UOA it’ll all show as just molybdenum.

And an SDS is nearly equally useless in many regards. It’s not a recipe. Look up what it’s for and why it’s produced and get back to us.

Your iron content was not due to the oil either. UOA are about the engine and operating conditions not the oil. You’re drawing unwarranted conclusions based on a faulty understanding.

And an SDS is nearly equally useless in many regards. It’s not a recipe. Look up what it’s for and why it’s produced and get back to us.
I might’ve used the wrong words when I said a MSDS but what I was talking about was what antiwear additives they put in it and how much and as far as how one would find that out.

But I’m not sure I follow what you mean when you say look up what it’s for and why it’s produced.
Your iron content was not due to the oil either. UOA are about the engine and operating conditions not the oil. You’re drawing unwarranted conclusions based on a faulty understanding.
Soooo, the +/- iron content PPM isn’t an indicator of more or less metal on metal wear?

But I’m not purposely drawing any unwarranted conclusions. I’m going off what I’ve read a lot from from other forums but according to you that’s inaccurate so maybe it is faulty understanding.

I have a 2017 Hemi 2500 at work. It's the 6.4L

Was running 5w20 but I switched to 0w40. When it's cold, it clatters bad for a good 30-40 seconds. It's not so bad with 0w40.
I try to keep it plugged in, or just leave it running 24/7 if it's near -30* or colder.
Has about 9,000hrs on it. 24,000 miles

Back