Has anyone gone 20K miles with testing?

How about 30K?

Thanks for the good data point. 30K OCI driven hard gives me confidence that 20K OCI driven easily will work fine. Seems like that will easily get the car past 300K.

It's been done a few years ago on Mobil 1 by "Eric the Car Guy". Here you go:

This video has the test results:

That being said, HPL went 34K miles in a Pentastar engine here on BITOG. In certain fleets, the HPL PCMO runs for as much as the equivalent of 45K miles - as engine hours are used to for the OCIs, not miles. I believe one engine hour equals to 30 miles of wear.

Both HPL and Mobil 1 are very capable lubricants. The thing about @High Performance Lubricants is that the blending process is not constrained by having to meet a price point, therefore more expensive materials can be used that in turn enable HPL to create a superior product.

In the videos I linked above, Mobil 1 Annual Protection was used. Mobil launched it at $34.99/5 quart jug, around 6~7 years ago. No one wanted to spend that much money at Walmart, so Mobil killed it. It's not like Mobil, Shell, Castrol, Chevron, Valvoline, etc. can't blend higher quality oils, it's just that their target markets and buyers aren't willing to pay for them. HPL deals on a smaller scale, creating products for a niche that's happy to pay more for a higher quality product. That's all there is to it.

I remember seeing that video a few years back. He didn't look convinced to me. lol

I don't think HPL markets extended drain intervals. I don't think most people who buy it buy it for that purpose.

There isn't many people who actually want to change every 20k. The market for this type of product is very small.

Mobil are basically competing with Amsoil, which has a cult-like following.

I remember seeing that video a few years back. He didn't look convinced to me. lol

I don't think HPL markets extended drain intervals. I don't think most people who buy it buy it for that purpose.

There isn't many people who actually want to change every 20k. The market for this type of product is very small.

American and Asian vehicles don't have the sump capacity to support extended drain intervals. There are certain complexities that go into formulating an oil for extended drain intervals so that it functions for an extended period of time without compromising itself. There are specifications like BMW LL-01, LL-04, LL01-FE, MB 229.71, 229.5, 229.51, 229.52, Porsche C20, C30, and so on, and all of these have an extended drain interval component to them. Castrol even used the MB 229.71 add pack for their Extended Performance line of products so they could claim extended drain intervals.

Actually AMSOIL is competing with Mobil, not the other way around. 😉

?

We had one go to 34,000 with testing. On HPL. So, yeah, we have some extreme runs.

Thread 'Under valve cover & sump pictures - 2014 Dodge Durango 174,000 miles total, 34,000 miles on HPL HDEO 5w-20'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-total-34-000-miles-on-hpl-hdeo-5w-20.377792/
This could be an interesting idea / case study for anyone who does extended 20k OCI
to try going 20k miles (with periodic UOA's posted to BITOG)
sequentially with 1 20k OCI with each of these 3 oils that are marketed as 20,000 mile oils:

Mobil 1 Extended Performance.
Quaker State Ultimate Protection Full Synthetic.
SuperTech Advanced Full Synthetic.

Last edited:
ETCG did on his Honda, personally if I was to run any oil 20k it would be Mobil 1 EP or Amsoil SS but that wouldn't happen I do not believe in extended intervals.
Do you know which oil ETCG was using and if he did any UOA's at the end of the 20k mile interval.

I like Eric the Car guy.

American and Asian vehicles don't have the sump capacity to support extended drain intervals. There are certain complexities that go into formulating an oil for extended drain intervals so that it functions for an extended period of time without compromising itself. There are specifications like BMW LL-01, LL-04, LL01-FE, MB 229.71, 229.5, 229.51, 229.52, Porsche C20, C30, and so on, and all of these have an extended drain interval component to them. Castrol even used the MB 229.71 add pack for their Extended Performance line of products so they could claim extended drain intervals.

Actually AMSOIL is competing with Mobil, not the other way around. 😉
Tell that sump capacity to modern 5.0 owners......

And I'm really curious on this, how does 10 quarts of oil with 20k on it really differ from 6 quarts of oil with 20k on it? I've heard the argument that a bigger sump helps the oil run cooler - but does it really, and would 5 degrees really matter? Wouldn't you just have more hot oil?

My 2018 5.0 ran out the IOLM @ roughly 10k - almost 9 quarts
my 2018 2.7 runs out the IOLM @ roughly 10k - 6 quarts

30% more sump capacity should = 30% more miles - no?

Tell that sump capacity to modern 5.0 owners......

And I'm really curious on this, how does 10 quarts of oil with 20k on it really differ from 6 quarts of oil with 20k on it? I've heard the argument that a bigger sump helps the oil run cooler - but does it really, and would 5 degrees really matter? Wouldn't you just have more hot oil?

My 2018 5.0 ran out the IOLM @ roughly 10k - almost 9 quarts
my 2018 2.7 runs out the IOLM @ roughly 10k - 6 quarts

30% more sump capacity should = 30% more miles - no?

The sump is the engine's trashcan. The bigger the sump, the more trash it can hold. Yes, it's that simple.

Au contraire; if you read what David’s posted over the years, he specifically points out that if you’ve got the mindset that you’re blindly changing at 5k, don’t buy HPL because it will never deliver an ROI when compared to a commodity oil you can buy on any shelf. They make products that deliver for racing vehicles, fleet vehicles, fracking machines, industrial compressors, and other machinery where the cost of a breakdown dwarfs the cost of a lubricant, AND that their product will deliver extended protection on the order of 3-5x in most applications. Their fleet of 3.5 EcoBoost data shatters every misconception that almost every single EB owner on here holds; that the 3.5 EB is hard on oil and needs <5k OCIs- over the past decade, HPL has racked up over 2 BILLION miles on a fleet of 12k EcoBoost F150s on 15-20k OCIs.

This knowledge and formulation mindset is applied to their “pedestrian” engine oils, extending the benefits to anyone who wants to dabble in increased uptime, reduced overall maintenance costs, reduced failures…. The list goes on. Part of the reason I’m such a fan is that HPL has delivered some custom products for our industry that have delivered as much as a 30X increase in lubricant life.

No other lubricant manufacturer would even entertain even listening to our request- we got “this is our product, use it… or don’t”. Dave literally came to our plant, saw the application, and a week later we got a shipment of product that wasn’t even in the same ballpark- it blew away any expectations we had!

On the flipside, and probably to your point… Dave isn’t out there trying to change the minds of people who don’t see the benefits of the absolute best oil available. He’s essentially saying, “if you’re interested in improved performance, reduced maintenance costs, and are willing to rely on data to tell you when the oil is used up (in whatever application possible), give us a shot- we’ll smoke the majors who simply see you as a number in their chain.”

Of course those are my words of how I think Dave would phrase it, but since Dave is a down-to-Earth guy and I’ve worked with him personally and professionally, he may allow my artistic license here. In simple, short terms, Dave is one of us. He just happens to run a niche oil company that can go up against any commercial offering on the planet and still offer benefits significant enough to offset any initial cost differences between what you’re using now. Dave & HPL have delivered at least five completely custom products based on my personal and professional requests; XOM, SOPUS, and every other major that I would tend to trust gave me the finger and said their commercially available product was already good enough.

I don’t know about you, but I’m not spending money with companies who think the mundane is good enough. I want to wring every cent of value out of the product while still protecting my equipment. And IMHO, that means my $$ is heading to Manteno, IL, where I can get the best dam product on the market… as determined by the data.

The only way HPL makes financial sense is if you’re seeking extended drains and/or your current oil doesn’t offer protection for your use. And from what I’ve gathered over the past 18 months working with HPL, that’s right where they want to be.

ETCG did on his Honda, personally if I was to run any oil 20k it would be Mobil 1 EP or Amsoil SS but that wouldn't happen I do not believe in extended intervals.
I'd add Castrol EP (gold jug) to your list but it's hard to find nowadays. I wouldn't go 20K on any oil but those 3 would be the one's I'd venture beyond 10K if away from home and unable to change my oil.

It's been done a few years ago on Mobil 1 by "Eric the Car Guy". Here you go:

This video has the test results:

That being said, HPL went 34K miles in a Pentastar engine here on BITOG. In certain fleets, the HPL PCMO runs for as much as the equivalent of 45K miles - as engine hours are used to for the OCIs, not miles. I believe one engine hour equals to 30 miles of wear.

Both HPL and Mobil 1 are very capable lubricants. The thing about @High Performance Lubricants is that the blending process is not constrained by having to meet a price point, therefore more expensive materials can be used that in turn enable HPL to create a superior product.

In the videos I linked above, Mobil 1 Annual Protection was used. Mobil launched it at $34.99/5 quart jug, around 6~7 years ago. No one wanted to spend that much money at Walmart, so Mobil killed it. It's not like Mobil, Shell, Castrol, Chevron, Valvoline, etc. can't blend higher quality oils, it's just that their target markets and buyers aren't willing to pay for them. HPL deals on a smaller scale, creating products for a niche that's happy to pay more for a higher quality product. That's all there is to it.

I re-watched the video. Too bad the Mobil 1 engineer didn't comment about the presence of lead in the UOA.

Back