Polaris/Horizon Labs Shipping Very High?

I have a 2011 Honda CR-V that I suspect might be having an issue with Fuel dilution.

Here on BITOG, it seems Polaris/Horizon is one of the go-to places for this test, since they use Gas Chromatography.

After a lot of hassle trying to sign up online, I was able to call in and get my account created.

I was then able to find the single Basic Engine Test Kit (OLBMPS) that covers Fuel Dilution % for around $30, and a USPS return label for about $5 more. Very reasonable.

However, when I went to check out, they seem to only ship the empty sample kit via UPS or FedEx, and the rates from Indiana to San Diego is about $40!!! When I called them, they confirmed this is correct.

I use UPS & FedEx almost every day, and I know that those shipping rates are extremely high for a tiny little empty bottle and envelope. It should be closer to $10. Or better yet, why don't they ship the empty kit via USPS for $5?

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if there might be any workarounds (other than flying to Indiana)?

Or perhaps a different testing lab for the average Joe that uses GC for Fuel Dilution %?

Side note: the rep I talked to said that they do tests for Chevron, Citgo, and Shell, suggesting those might be cheaper. Still looking into this route.

Thanks,

Chris

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 9.35.22 AM.jpg

they seem to only ship the empty sample kit via UPS or FedEx, and the rates from Indiana to San Diego is about $40!!! When I called them, they confirmed this is correct.

I use UPS & FedEx almost every day, and I know that those shipping rates are extremely high for a tiny little empty bottle and envelope. It should be closer to $10.
Something is really, really wrong with that rate of $40. It's not even a hazmat surcharge because you and I aren't qualified hazmat shippers (from our home). Maybe they're using an "air" service option.

Something is really, really wrong with that rate of $40. It's not even a hazmat surcharge because you and I aren't qualified hazmat shippers (from our home). Maybe they're using an "air" service option.
Sadly, that is ground service pricing. I even called them and they said the rates are correct (I politely disagreed).

To be fair, I live in a rural area, so after putting in an urban business address (wife's work), the UPS ground charge went to down to $26. But still way too high. Why won't they ship USPS TO you? They certainly will sell you a $5 USPS return label FROM you.

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 10.17.13 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 10.17.07 AM.jpg

I'm a Amsoil preferred customer for $20/yr. They sell OAI/Polaris kits.
I wait for an email, and a few times a yr Amsoil offers free shipping with $50 or $100 purchase. Arrives at my house in 2 days. I live in the sticks.
I order several OAI kits, #2 is $30 ea, and come with a pre-paid UPS shipping label.
I've been doing this for 14 yrs. Easy peasy :)

Last edited:
So I got some information that was enlightening, to me at least.

I called the number for OAI/Amsoil, because their website clearly shows FTIR as the test method for Fuel Dilution %, and not ASTM D7593 (Gas Chromatography).

I talked to a Data Analyst, and I asked who he worked for, and he said Polaris/Horizon.

He did indicate that the OAI website is sort of incorrect. He said that if the viscosity numbers are not abnormal, they would use the FTIR method (guesstimate), but if viscosity is abnormal, they re-run Fuel Dilution % test with ASTM D7593 method.

In the end, we both agreed that when sending the sample in, you should put a note that you are requesting the ASTM D7593 (GC) method be used regardless of viscosity results.

So I have more confidence now to use OAI/Amsoil for Fuel Dilution %, and it is much easier and cheaper than Polaris/Horizon direct.

Hopefully this helps someone else with the same confusion I had.

Chris

I called the number for OAI/Amsoil, because their website clearly shows FTIR as the test method for Fuel Dilution %, and not ASTM D7593 (Gas Chromatography).

I talked to a Data Analyst, and I asked who he worked for, and he said Polaris/Horizon.

He did indicate that the OAI website is sort of incorrect. He said that if the viscosity numbers are not abnormal, they would use the FTIR method (guesstimate), but if viscosity is abnormal, they re-run Fuel Dilution % test with ASTM D7593 method.

In the end, we both agreed that when sending the sample in, you should put a note that you are requesting the ASTM D7593 (GC) method be used regardless of viscosity results.

So I have more confidence now to use OAI/Amsoil for Fuel Dilution %, and it is much easier and cheaper than Polaris/Horizon direct.

Chris
https://www.amsoil.com/search/#q=oi...ProductsTab&sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=20
Pick your poison

Chris
Yes, They only test GC method if the viscosity falls below their "threshold". Those trigger viscosity's vary depending on the grade of oil. You can always ask if they can do it GC method but they might deny your request if viscosity is above the limits. Folks on BITOG don't do their own investigating & throw out what they hear as "OAI/Polaris does GC fuel" as if that's true in every case which it's not as you found out.

Back