Valvoline's Response to Moly in Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having owned a bunch of GM cars, I'd be far more inclined to blame GM than Valvoline!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Having owned a bunch of GM cars, I'd be far more inclined to blame GM than Valvoline!
lol.gif

+1

I've ran Maxlife atf in my 188k mile Chevy 1500 pickup.
I've been using it for close to 50k, change it every 30k.
Tranny has never shifted better than with Maxlife. I do some moderate towing, so I follow the 30k severe service schedule.

I find it pretty cynical how all the Ashland fans try and
divert attention away from the FACT that the fluid analysis DEFINITELY found significant levels of zinc in a fluid Valvoline states has NO zinc whatsoever.

Following OilChanger's delivery of that fluid analysis to Ashland, the company suddenly ceased all communication with OilChanger.

It is pretty obvious that Ashland's legal department instructed the company to cease communication with the OP because of a
potential lawsuit. The reason any judge would find that the product was defective according to that legitimate analysis and it would require Ashland to compensate the owner of the vehicle.

@OilChanger:

Why not sue them in small claims court, well it probably is too late now, but for 50 bucks you would probably have won a settlement.

My guess is that some zinc was added in error and set out the door due to an honest mistake and a gap in QC.

99.8% of the time I'm sure that MaxLife is a very good product, but this time it wasn't and was defective. It does happen.

Last edited:
I dont think most here blame OC for his feelings towards Ashland, they're just tired of his posts concerning the vitriol. He has evey right to feel the way he does but when he posts his anger, the thread gets hijacked (probably not his intent) and that's not fair to the OP.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I dont think most here blame OC for his feelings towards Ashland, they're just tired of his posts concerning the vitriol. He has evey right to feel the way he does but when he posts his anger, the thread gets hijacked (probably not his intent) and that's not fair to the OP.

If Ashland would have done SOMETHING to make OilChanger reasonably
whole he wouldn't be posting like he has. They screwed up.

Last edited:
When OC posts no facts to back up his claims that Maxlife ruined his trans, its pretty hard to take anything he says seriously. He didn't even have the old tranny torn down to see what the actual failure was.For all we know it could easily have been a mechanical failure totally unrelated to the oil.
Valvoline doesn't owe him a dime if he can't come up with more than conjecture.

So this guy doesnt know what failed in his trans so he blames the fluid?
Usually when a trans goes south without warning it is not fluid related

Originally Posted By: cronk
When OC posts no facts to back up his claims that Maxlife ruined his trans, its pretty hard to take anything he says seriously. He didn't even have the old tranny torn down to see what the actual failure was.For all we know it could easily have been a mechanical failure totally unrelated to the oil.

You keep refusing to remember that the fresh MaxLife fluid that came out of his trans was loaded with zinc. Valvoline clearly indicated that their fluid contains NONE. The sample analysis identified it as Max Life but it had zinc in it. Pretty clear that in any case the fluid was flawed.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Or maybe the two of you could get a room.

I've given him a list of things he might have down wrong to cause the failure but he doesn't want to talk about that.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Or maybe the two of you could get a room.

I've given him a list of things he might have down wrong to cause the failure but he doesn't want to talk about that.

One factor we know is a certainty is that the Max Life fluid was flawed (filled with zinc) and that IMMEDIATELY following Ashland receiving that analysis conclusion the company ceased all further communications with Oil Changer, that in any small claims court would indicate a good likelihood of their liability.

This coming from a guy who's been a member here just shy of three months telling three of the most knowledgeable insiders this forum has ever had about oil. How's that been working out for you?

You keep refusing to remember that the fresh MaxLife fluid that came out of his trans was loaded with zinc. Valvoline clearly indicated that their fluid contains NONE. The sample analysis identified it as Max Life but it had zinc in it. Pretty clear that in any case the fluid was flawed.

OR... OC had a contaminated sample, had some trace zinc from previous oil or additives.
Other virgin samples have either shown no zinc or trace amounts. (3 or 5 ppm)

None of this changes the fact that OC does not know what the real failure of the transmission was.
I'm sure if OC had used Mobil or supertech, or amsoil, he'd be on here bashing them. "Brand X oil ruined my transmission, its sewer water", bla bla bla!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
This coming from a guy who's been a member here just shy of three months telling three of the most knowledgeable insiders this forum has ever had about oil. How's that been working out for you?

As bout as good as you do oil changes. I guess.

I watched the fluid get poured in the bottles and sealed and handed directly to me. The previous oil was the FF which we all know does not have zinc. I never use additives. Well, I put Stabil in my OPE.

OR... OC had a contaminated sample, had some trace zinc from previous oil or additives.

Witty comeback.

As bout as good as you do oil changes. I guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I watched the fluid get poured in the bottles and sealed and handed directly to me. The previous oil was the FF which we all know does not have zinc. I never use additives. Well, I put Stabil in my OPE.

What failed in the transmission?
If the output shaft broke in half is it still Valvolines fault?

Sorry but the chances of your sample being contaminated is much better than you getting the only batch of Maxlife on the planet that doesn't match any other.
Another option is a zinc part or zinc plated part inside the tranny contaminated your sample with wear metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back