High mile 4.6 Ford - Ok to use heavier oil?

I cant read all the posts but I have owned over 30+ panther platform cars and I have safely used 0w-20 up to 10w-30. I highly recommend **NOT** going to a 40w as you can feel it. And you will also loose some MPG. I used german castrol 0w-30 in a 99 CVPI and at first I did not notice why I only got 19 mpg on the flat highway, and admittedly I did not notice the power reduction. When I swtiched back to motorcraft 5w-30 the power and fuel economy was back.

After researching that back in 2006, I found out german castrol of that era was a basically a 40 weight when hot.
Your butt dyno must be more finely tuned than mine! I can't tell a difference going from 20 to 40 myself. Also, mpg remains as it always does, between 22-24mpg on my mostly highway drive.

I grabbed 2 jugs of QS FS Euro 5W-40. My decision came after reading a lot of UOA’s of that oil on here repeatedly showing that they’re truly a thick 30 weight rather than a true 40 (by a slight margin). I think with the 100°+ summer’s we’ll see this year, it should be perform rather well.
If it is truly a 30-grade then that should be reported to the blender. I wonder if PQIA will notice?

That would be a detriment to me not a benefit.

GC is/was a 30-grade all day long.

It was at the very top end of the 30wt range though, and in my many UOAs running it in many different vehicles, it proved itself to start and finish at almost that exact same viscosity. So one could almost call it a thin 40wt, since it was right on that line (and we know that a lot of 0w40s will thin out into 30wt territory anyway)

Thank you for the explanation and advice on the oddball oil grade… Are you using Mobil 1 in your Tahoe? Also, is the Mobil 1 FS 0w40 a thinner oil vs. something like Castrol of the same flavor?

I have used it in the past. I've been using High Performance Lubricants HDMO 5W-30 for the last ~50k miles and Driven LS30 5W-30 before then.

M1 FS Euro 0W-40 is ~13.0 cSt @ 100°C. Though on the lower side of a 40 grade, it only sheared 6% in KRL which is up there with some entry level boutique oils.

There was a TSB out from Ford a while back to use 10w40 in the modular motors. It was for complaints from customers saying that the engines were noisy. I do not have it on me right now but I have posted about it before. I think a search would probably bring it up if someone was interested. I should have it around here somewhere, just can't put my hands on it right now.

We used 5w30 in our 96' Crown Victoria. The car had to be retired at 360,000 plus miles with the original engine and transmission because of severe rust issues with the frame and front suspension.

Reactions: wlk
That was for the 3v 4.6 and 5.4.

I don't think it was the engineering or oil viscocity that contributed to their longevity. I think it was just a well designed engine that made low power for its displacement.

When I was at a rural Sheriff's office we had about 15 4.6 powered Crown Vics that had the daylights driven out of them: cold starts followed by responding code, pursuits, idling for hours, you name it. They got 3k oil changes with 5W-20 Formula Shell at a local quick oil change. They never ran less than 100k before replacement, never lost an engine...just boxes of manifold studs.

If we didn't kill them whatever you're doing with your truck won't either.

I have a work van from 09 with the 4.6, over 262,000 miles. The van is rusting away and engine is leaking oil at the head gasket. It is at the point I do not care about engine longevity. So I just top it off with 10w40. Can't tell any different.

Twisted, as best as I can recall I had issued to me a 97, a 99, an 00, an 02 and an 04. Three were brand new. Fleet vehicles that used Delvac 5w40. Never had oil related problems. Used and abused in the worst way imaginable. The trannys are weak spot in those cars. I killed a lot of them.

Twisted, as best as I can recall I had issued to me a 97, a 99, an 00, an 02 and an 04. Three were brand new. Fleet vehicles that used Delvac 5w40. Never had oil related problems. Used and abused in the worst way imaginable. The trannys are weak spot in those cars. I killed a lot of them.
I gotta agree with you there. I had my 4r70w rebuilt because of that very thing but I do want to remove the TransGo shift kit that was installed and go with either a J-Mod or Sonnax built valve body. The TransGo VB is too harsh and there is no TV line adjustment on these transmissions since it’s all computer controlled so it’s not like I can soften it up a bit.

Reactions: spj
Mobil 1 FS 0w40 :)

The 4.6 will get along with pretty much anything you put in it, from a 5w20 to a 15w50.

All the "the tolerances are too tight for anything other than 5w20" from the forums is BS.

With that being said, plenty of 4.6s make it past 300k on 5w20.

I'd use a good 5w30 or Mobil 1 0w40.

Back