Valvoline's Response to Moly in Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the only point I ever made. My $2700 says it can be whatever I want it to be and I would give others the same respect. But noooo... the MaxJunk fan boys absolutely lose their minds. PROOF! PROOF! Give us proof!

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: strat81
Oil Changer serviced a transmission that has a reputation for being less than bullet proof. He may have installed the filter wrong. He may have underfilled it. He may have added Maxlife 10W-40 instead of ATF. He may have forgotten to fill it. Or maybe fate drew his card.

In any event, it is more likely Oil Changer is responsible for his problem than Ashland is.

His juvenile, trollish behavior only serves to destroy his credibility.

Or maybe none of the above. How does anyone really know?

Hey Oil Changer,did your tranny have alot of miles (I cant remember from the original thread)? I remember years back,I changed the fluid in my 87 Olds (had around 130k or so on it) with Chief Auto Parts brand atf. I did a pan drop/filter replace/refill. A few days or so later,the tranny goes out! Old school mechanic we used back then told me about the "if it's never been changed in alot of miles,don't change it" urban legend. Myth or fact,maybe both of our trannys were victims of that legend? Wonder if the Maxlife did some aggressive cleaning and dislodged something in your tranny and caused it to fail?

Then there's my dad's Delta 88 that had the same tranny (440T I think?) and it didn't go out till his car had over 500k on it w/original fluid still in it haha! Crazy,huh!

I think it just turned 73k.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Hey Oil Changer,did your tranny have alot of miles (I cant remember from the original thread)? I remember years back,I changed the fluid in my 87 Olds (had around 130k or so on it) with Chief Auto Parts brand atf. I did a pan drop/filter replace/refill. A few days or so later,the tranny goes out! Old school mechanic we used back then told me about the "if it's never been changed in alot of miles,don't change it" urban legend. Myth or fact,maybe both of our trannys were victims of that legend? Wonder if the Maxlife did some aggressive cleaning and dislodged something in your tranny and caused it to fail?

Then there's my dad's Delta 88 that had the same tranny (440T I think?) and it didn't go out till his car had over 500k on it w/original fluid still in it haha! Crazy,huh!

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I think it just turned 73k.

Yeah that seems like pretty low mileage to me,I don't blame you at all for being beyond upset! I remember when I changed the atf on my 3000GT,it had maybe 40-50k on it and I held my breath for a few weeks after I changed it haha. What was cool about that car,the tranny actually had a drain plug! I'd never seen that before,sure beat the heck out of doing a pan drop!

A couple weeks ago my neighbor asked me to help with his '99 G1500 van with the 4L60 with over 120k and the FF. Michigan's road salt ate through the cooler lines. Had him get new lines from the dealer with GM Dex VI.

Don't think I wasn't sweating bullets! He knows about my van, I told what could happen but he said go for it, so I did. I drained the fluid through the return line, dropped pan, replaced filter (WIX) and gasket, put the new lines on, and filled it up with the GM DEX VI.

I've checked his fluid a few times since. Perfect. He says it's running fine and nothing seems weird. I still have my fingers crossed.

I apologize for the hijack, OP. I almost exclusively post from the "Recent Topics" box on the left and normally don't even know what forum I'm posting in.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: BillyTheKid
How did this spin from oil to tranny fluid? This thing should be locked down.

Exactly what I was thinking.
The hijacked part is longer than the original discussion.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Why is Moly bad?

Too much can corrode copper.

It is also a metal containing friction modifier and will form ash at a high combustion ignition.

Does this include the Trinuclear Moly also Dave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back