Another oil from Valvoline…

Looks like an excellent product for the intended use. I'm a Valvoline user from way back and think their products are good across the board. I doubt they are fudging their results. Now using media influencers isn't great but they are not alone in this tactic.

Stank smell could be some sort of sulfurized additive, more common in gear lube. On sheet 13 of the SDS (across grades), Pennsylvania right to know contains a line item for an Afton Chem HiTEC 11188 - 000000276110 PROPRIETARY. If you search the Afton website, you can find 11180 (ILSAC GF-5, D1G2), and 11181 & 11183 (D1G3 add packs). 11188 produces no results.

Anyone with industry knowledge, could this point to a unique additive technology for Valvoline?

Edit: or possible it has similar chemistry, albeit less aggressive to premium blue restore and uses the technology of Valvoline patent US20170029734A1
Seems to be a Pennsylvania specific disclosure requirement; neat find. I wonder what is different about this state's disclosure requirements that would necessitate listing that information.

Restore & Protect showed up at the AutoZone here for $38.99 and same as all of the others they did not have any of the Extended Protection left on the shelf and quite honestly their selection for Valvoline as a whole wasn't really all that great to begin with and didn't have any jugs of their Euro oil but did have the 5w40 in quarts. I am glad that I don't buy oil from the parts stores anymore, unless you can get it on sale they are easily overpriced by $10 if not even higher.

Valvoline Restore and Protect is already on a bundle deal at AutoZone.
5 QT Jug + STP Oil filter for $37.99 not bad

20231226_105107.jpg

I just did an oil change last week with Valvoline Extended Protection. As soon as I see this at Walmart, I will buy some for my next change in 5,000 miles!

valvoline with new extra-super-duper-better additives. great...

i would like to see an actual ingredients list.
Yeah, because that’s definitely what companies like Valvoline, Exxon, Castrol, Pennzoil, etc do. They just Willy nilly give out the ingredients and in what amounts.

I wonder if the release of "Restore and Protect" was intentionally delayed because the new owner wanted to be the "hero" releasing the new product. How long was the sale in negotiations? Who knows? I likewise got little help/info from a call to Valvoline, and their online chat. I got the AutoZone deal for my Ram, two 5 quart jugs, and two free STP oil filters. The Hemi for 36,000 miles has run on PP 5W-20. The "Restore and Protect" is in there now. It does seem to run better, but who knows?

Really!

I've noticed a difference in both smoothness and quietness when switching brands and when switching viscosities.
Strangely, my curent Amsoil Euro 0w30 is not one of them on a Plus Side.

Another that I don't use anymore (Valvoline) performed Best. When Global Inc sold to the Middle East's Aramco Co, I moved-on

Really!

I've noticed a difference in both smoothness and quietness when switching brands and when switching viscosities.
Strangely, my curent Amsoil Euro 0w30 is not one of them on a Plus Side.

Another that I don't use anymore (Valvoline) performed Best. When Global Inc sold to the Middle East's Aramco Co, I moved-on
Isn't that a change in valvetrain noise you usually notice?

Back