Valvoline's Response to Moly in Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Yes I have figured it out. That worthless second-rate formulator denied any further involvement in part due to Zinc in the sample. They flat out said that MaxJunk has no Zinc. Well...you, me, and PQIA say different. Did you figure it out now?

You are a crybaby. It's a dead horse. You got your point across. Any other postings on the subject from you are just wah wah wah.

My God are you a grown man or a child? I have teenage girls that whine less than you.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I've used it before.
I'll use it again.
Never lost an automatic, a power steering pump or a manual gearbox to it yet (many spec ATF).
Parts and assemblies fail and the fluid used is almost never the cause.

Same here and I have used Maxlife ATF. Shifting did improve. 95K miles later that Mustang is still running. On the same Maxlife ATF because current owner does zero maintenance on transmissions.

I like the shift quality in my car as well with the Maxlife. It's a great bang for the buck for a synthetic ATF, especially if you buy it on sale like I did.

This was all discussed in the original thread. Nobody and I mean nobody did any mechanical work on this vehicle other than me. It is a fact that MaxJunk most certainly contains zinc.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Maybe you should be investigating why the zinc was in your ATF in the first place. Maybe someone sabotaged you by adding the wrong ATF as a prank? Does anyone else drive the vehicle? Maybe it was a mistake by an inexperienced person?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Clevy
10cent said:
I had need to contact Valvoline's customer care department and took the opportunity to ask if they had removed molybdenum from the full syn Maxlife as they had with the syn-blend. ... ... ...

This obviously comes as no surprise but I thought the part about a "much better" FM taking molybdenum's place was interesting and may help reassure those that felt the product had been cheapened with it's removal.

Pfftftt. They are using something else because it's cheaper,plain and simple.
No. high PPM moly FM packages don't pass current TEOST and piston deposit testing in the new standards - its a Dirty additive and organometals are cat and lambda killers. The Valvoline in my sig appears to keep my cars running cleaner ( from what I can tell) than QSUD or M1. though it contributes to noisier operation.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Clevy said:
10cent said:
I had need to contact Valvoline's customer care department and took the opportunity to ask if they had removed molybdenum from the full syn Maxlife as they had with the syn-blend. ... ... ...

This obviously comes as no surprise but I thought the part about a "much better" FM taking molybdenum's place was interesting and may help reassure those that felt the product had been cheapened with it's removal.[/

Arco. Your hate for moly is well documented here however if moly is so bad why is only Ashland dropping it.
The new ultra and platinum still have it,and they told is that the new formulations meet gf-6,so if they can make it work why can't Ashland.

And Castrol,with their oil that came in the winner in the teost testing by amsoil contains moly,as well as every single m1 product other than their bike oils.
Are you implying that all these oils aren't going to met the new standard because they have moly.

It's getting pretty thick in here. I've read some real whoppers posted by you before however you've outdone yourself this time.

Remember when mos2 ruined your engine. Hillarious.
This post is as credible as that one.
So 0w20 with high PPM (>500) dithiocarbamates now meet GF5 TEOST because you said so, disregarding all industry bench test that say it doesn't?( though it gets a pass in GF5 for non-turbo use). I'm not discussing GF5/6 lubricants with modest (<100ppm) levels of the newer infinium moly boron organometallic compounds. I like moly, but not high PPM of MoS2 from my experience in running the stuff in lambda controlled engines. In fact Im running under ~500PPM of LiquiMoly now in my VSP 0w20 - not the whole can of the stuff. Moderation is key - esp treating 1.5 litre displacement.

I also feel bad that your tranny failed... But, not all tranny's last even with maintenance and if I remember, you did not do a atf change until 71K miles. Maybe you should blame GM or the mechanic.

The OM calls for 100k interval under non-severe conditions so technically, I was being proactive. That was addressed in the original thread too. I choose to blame Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I also feel bad that your tranny failed... But, not all tranny's last even with maintenance and if I remember, you did not do a atf change until 71K miles. Maybe you should blame GM or the mechanic.

Last edited:
The OM calls for 100k interval under non-severe conditions so technically, I was being proactive. That was addressed in the original thread too. I choose to blame Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

How many fluid changes did you conduct prior to using Maxlife?

I drained the FF. This is outlined in detail in the original thread.

How many fluid changes did you conduct prior to using Maxlife?

Well then the argument can be made you were not proactive in the maintenance. Because your owners manual recommends ATF service every 50K even on long highway service/non severe.

Pages 6-6 and 6-11 of your owners manual recommends this.

Actually it doesn't and this was discussed in the original thread too. 100k was/is the recommended non-severe interval. If you haven't read that thread, you should. Lots of good information came out of it.

P.S. Just referred back to my GM factory service manual and it most certainly says 100k.

Well then the argument can be made you were not proactive in the maintenance. Because your owners manual recommends ATF service every 50K even on long highway service/non severe.

Pages 6-6 and 6-11 of your owners manual recommends this.

Last edited:
6-11
2005 Astro owners manual
50,000 miles 83 000 km

"If you have not used your vehicle in severe service conditions listed previously and, therefore, have not changed your automatic transmission fluid, change both fluid and filter."

Under severe service you are recommended to change the ATF every 30,000 miles. Your Astro did not have Dex VI as a factory fill it had Dex III so there is no 100K ATF recommendation.

So you exceeded your ATF service recommendation by over 20,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Why is Moly bad?

Because she cheated on me.

I would guess that it has to do with the fact that it is a metal.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Why is Moly bad?

Too much can corrode copper.

It is also a metal containing friction modifier and will form ash at a high combustion ignition.

I have the GM factory service manual. The FF was Dex III-H. The manual says 100k for non-severe service. 50k if "mainly" hills, towing, taxi... which Is non-applicable to the conditions the van sees. The manual is sitting right next to me as I type this. I basically split the difference between the two schedules.

Also in that thread it was mentioned that nowhere in any Valvoline literature does it say not to use if recommended service intervals were not followed.

6-11
2005 Astro owners manual
50,000 miles 83 000 km

"If you have not used your vehicle in severe service conditions listed previously and, therefore, have not changed your automatic transmission fluid, change both fluid and filter."

Under severe service you are recommended to change the ATF every 30,000 miles. Your Astro did not have Dex VI as a factory fill it had Dex III so there is no 100K ATF recommendation.

So you exceeded your ATF service recommendation by over 20,000 miles.

This is how all of this started. YOU are wrong. First, it's III-H, there's a difference. Second, my information is straight from the service manual, not an owners manual, factory GM manual that dealership mechanics use. 50k severe, 100k non. I didn't plan it that way but I split the difference. The trans was not neglected.

You are just wrong. DEX III was not intended to be a 100K mile ATF. 50K was the maximum service interval recommended by GM for a 2005 Chevy Astro. 30K on severe service schedule it is right here for everyone to see.

http://www.manualowl.com/am/Chevrolet/2005-Astro/Manual/383

I still wish they made the max life oil addative. It gave me a warm fuzzy feeling plus all the good maxlife addatives.

Last edited:
This is how all of this started. YOU are wrong. First, it's III-H, there's a difference. Second, my information is straight from the service manual, not an owners manual, factory GM manual that dealership mechanics use. 50k severe, 100k non. I didn't plan it that way but I split the difference. The trans was not neglected.

You are just wrong. DEX III was not intended to be a 100K mile ATF. 50K was the maximum service interval recommended by GM for a 2005 Chevy Astro. 30K on severe service schedule it is right here for everyone to see.

http://www.manualowl.com/am/Chevrolet/2005-Astro/Manual/383

The owners manual still recommends a fluid change of DexronIII-H at a maximum of 50K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back