Another oil from Valvoline…

Found on another forum. Some clearer pictures and marketing they're rolling out. Lack of details - no OCI, comparative oil used etc. Based on their marketing, the top row is a regular GF-6 oil ran to 100k miles. Then the bottom row are the same pistons at 300k miles. That's just based on what they claim in the FAQ section.

1707842730346.jpg

Here is a piston after a double length run on the IIIH test (Amsoil SS 5w30).

1707843110537.jpg

Found on another forum. Some clearer pictures and marketing they're rolling out. Lack of details - no OCI, comparative oil used etc. Based on their marketing, the top row is a regular GF-6 oil ran to 100k miles. Then the bottom row are the same pistons at 300k miles. That's just based on what they claim in the FAQ section.

View attachment 203374

Here is a piston after a double length run on the IIIH test (Amsoil SS 5w30).

View attachment 203375

Afton Chemical tweaked the detergent package for Valvoline. That's what deals with piston cleanliness. That's all it is, and that's why it takes at least 4 OCI to clean ... something. It can't even touch the cleaning power of something like HPL.

From an Infineum presentation: https://www.infineuminsight.com/media/1815/4-additive-components-na.pdf

1707844820147.jpg

I thought all modern oil is supposed to do this. I saw ad during the Super Bowl. Maybe the same thing with a new label. Maybe with a little magic glitter added to see when it’s drained.

If there is something in the add-pack that's doing the cleaning(deposits), i bet it's in the dispersants and not the detergents. ..something polar that attaches to deposits but also acts like a solvent. this would explain the low oxidation number.

Valvoline is kind of known for these niche oils - they invented the High Mileage oil. They then created Modern Engine which I thought was a great idea but it never caught on. Now they have Restore & Protect, which on the surface appears to be an innovative product. But that doesn't guarantee its success.

It's a hyper competitive commodity market. 99% of the public could care less about oil. Most shop based on price point.

The last few years I've been turned off by Valvoline. Their customer service is terrible. Some of them are flat out ignorant. One of their quick lube places also botched up an oil change and tried to blame it on Subaru. Pluse they're owned by Aramco, a SA company.

Valvoline Maxlife was actually the "darling" of BITOG in it's very early days before it became a message board type of format (before that, in the late 1990s to early 2000s it was more like a newsgroup format) due to it's high amount of moly back in it's original formulation. After they reduced that amount people got turned off it and it is one of those brands that has not really gotten much attention on here.

Looks like they finally made it to the shelves at my local autozone. The extended protection is confirmed to no longer be in stock according to the autozone employee and replaced with restore & protect line of oils.

Its like a dollar or two less than the mobil1 oils on the far right side of the shelf.

20240408_125450.jpg

Back