Truth or Myth: Modern Engines STILL Require Break-in

You left all that metal circulating for 300 extra miles, unacceptable. Will only reach 234,456 miles now, not 234,475. Bummer.
Let me guess...you got up on the wrong side of the bed today. Not everybody wants to do things the way you do.

Previous owners and myself new just follow car maker standards and seem to rust/rot or breakdown expensively before engine failure into the 200k+ range.

I'm confused on this reply,I came here to try to learn the different experiences owners had on breaking in their vehicle.
What is confusing? I'm asking....why pick 450 vs. say any other number? There is no rhyme or reason to many folks' break-in procedures, just arbitray feel-good early changes to "get all the metal shavings out". If this was critical to the engine's health, the OE would tell you to do it. They often include a break-in procedure for the first 1K miles but don't say a thing about early oil changes. For every person that does some sort of early change out regimine and tells you "I always do this and my cars last forever" there are some multiple of that # of people that don't and have the same results. It's not necessary has always been my take. You ask for experiences, that's mine. Not necessary/100% feel-good move but if you like that, cool. But don't come in saying it's based on anything more than just that, feelings.

If it'll help you sleep better. I typically buy new and keep them until the wheels fall off.

I change the oil and filter as soon as I get home from the dealership, anywhere from 15 to 50 miles in the past. This is following some half throttle acceleration/deceleration cycles, then 3/4, then full, just to load and unload the rings.
Then I change it again at 500 miles then switch to my normal 5K intervals.

Not saying it does anything but I know that the oil pump pumps unfiltered oil.
Bravo...at least you are doing it when it should be done if the whole "metal shavings" thing has any weight to it. As soon as possible b/c all that wear is likely happening in the first few minutes/miles of use.

Let me guess...you got up on the wrong side of the bed today. Not everybody wants to do things the way you do.
On the contrary, good night's sleep last night, feeling great, good night planned. Not everyone wants to do early break-in oil changes b/c there is no data to support it does a thing.

It was his car,he picked the time and the mileage,some of us are here to learn of others experiences so we can make OUR choices right or wrong,Enuf said

It was his car,he picked the time and the mileage,some of us are here to learn of others experiences so we can make OUR choices right or wrong,Enuf said
So only that opinion is ok to post here/permittted? You are heading a variety including mine, take from what it you will....it's ok that not everyone agrees here. You have two camps. 1) early change and 2) normal change. Both have cars that last "forever". Therefore, I see no difference in the two.

Last edited:
Engine break-in is a thing, although Id say it happens much quicker than people think and the metal particles in the oil are not as harmful as people think.

So it seems for some reason my 450 mile choice to do my first oil change has struck a nerve.

I don’t feel I should have to explain myself, but if others can learn from it great. Toyota calls for a 620 mile break-in for the 3.5L. I generally always lean towards oil changes and what not earlier than later. It was just convenient for me and on the weekend and I decided to change it 450. I have spoken with many engine builders over the last 40 years. Most have always told me first oil change at 500 miles so I guess that’s my benchmark.

There seems to be quite a bit in this thread, as well as many on this forum, people want to debate and argue and nitpick what others do. I really don’t care what anyone else choices to do with a new engine.

I do try to remember that just because someone has an opinion that is different than mine, it does not make that opinion wrong it is just different.

Most of the wear metal in the oil that is large enough to cause wear will quickly get either trapped in the oil filter, or pulverized by the engine to a size that is unable to cause further wear.
Isn't this pulverization where additional unwanted wear is occurring?

What would be more beneficial is immediately replacing the OEM oil filter with one that is more efficient
What filter is the most efficient and best for this task?

Isn't this pulverization where additional unwanted wear is occurring?
Yes, but the point is that it's happening quickly and in a continuous process, so changing the oil doesn't help all that much, but filtering the oil does.

What filter is the most efficient and best for this task?
The most efficient one you can find, which for most vehicles might be a FRAM Ultra or Endurance. The break-in wear isn't so high that a more efficient filter is going to greatly extend the life of the engine or anything, it'll just be a bit more beneficial during break-in than it would be when the engine is experiencing normal wear.

My C8 Corvette tachometer displays a red line at 3500 rpm until the car odometer hits 500 miles. Then it goes up to the "post break in" 6300 rpm. I think it may also limit the maximum torque during this period.

I recall the owners manual stating the break in period is over at 1500 miles.

The Dual Clutch transmission requires an initial filter change at 7500 miles before going to a post break in maintenance schedule

When I get my next new car home I'm going to suction out and replace 1/2 the oil and put a filtermag on the filter. This way I can get the metal particles stuck to side of canister but I also satisfy the early and normal OCI fans. :ROFLMAO: My luck it will be a cartridge filter with plastic housing and ruin all my plans.

What is confusing? I'm asking....why pick 450 vs. say any other number? There is no rhyme or reason to many folks' break-in procedures, just arbitray feel-good early changes to "get all the metal shavings out". If this was critical to the engine's health, the OE would tell you to do it. They often include a break-in procedure for the first 1K miles but don't say a thing about early oil changes. For every person that does some sort of early change out regimine and tells you "I always do this and my cars last forever" there are some multiple of that # of people that don't and have the same results. It's not necessary has always been my take. You ask for experiences, that's mine. Not necessary/100% feel-good move but if you like that, cool. But don't come in saying it's based on anything more than just that, feelings.

They used to say to do early changes. But oil changes must be minimized today.

I did an early change on my diesel: 10k miles instead of 22k miles as in the book. Pretty much kept that going though, 10-12k oil changes

America is wasteful. lol that’s why we’re being hit with high inflation the govt wants to teach us a lesson. Keep that oil in there stop short changing jk. Merry Christmas 🎁🎄

Is all that metal in the oil harmful, who knows.
Try this experiment: Post up a UOA with all that break in metal, and say the engine was well maintained with 50K miles on it. Then sit back and watch the comments.

IMO the sooner the break in metal comes out the better. Oh yea I read about the millions of cars on the road that had their first oil change at 10K miles, good for them. A lot of our resident experts seem to agree with dumping the FF early, and breaking in an engine, I'm in their camp. Merry Christmas!!!!

Lakespeed..."we do science here on this channel". Proceeds to speculate about why OEMs don't use break-in oil. I don't see any hard data or references on that. Classic. Ahahhahaha

BTW. Makes sense to me but still seems speculative/without a backup interview etc.

Back