No Engine Oil Dipstick

And I just thought of another issue. When the oil does get changed how do you know that the correct amount was just now poured back in there? You can't just use the stick to find out. You have to start the engine, warm it up, meet its criteria, then hopefully view the level (in a vague format) on the screen. And I guess hope that you got it right!

Ugh..
Counting bottles can be a challenge.

The trend away from having a dipstick feels like its a way for OEMs to more easily monitor customer's oil level for warranty purposes. That way, oil level can be monitored by the ECM, and if it stays low for too long, it can be used as a way to void an engine warranty if the engine fails. The OEMs then just remove the dipstick since they are already have a different way to monitor oil level. On my Mazda I can check the oil level from my phone, but my Mazda still also has a dipstick.

And I just thought of another issue. When the oil does get changed how do you know that the correct amount was just now poured back in there? You can't just use the stick to find out. You have to start the engine, warm it up, meet its criteria, then hopefully view the level (in a vague format) on the screen. And I guess hope that you got it right!

Ugh..

I could be wrong, but my perception is most folks lease bmw's and mini's and have free maintenance and dump it after 36k so its someone elses problem after that.

The trend away from having a dipstick feels like its a way for OEMs to more easily monitor customer's oil level for warranty purposes. That way, oil level can be monitored by the ECM, and if it stays low for too long, it can be used as a way to void an engine warranty if the engine fails. The OEMs then just remove the dipstick since they are already have a different way to monitor oil level. On my Mazda I can check the oil level from my phone, but my Mazda still also has a dipstick.
My Audi A4 ecm tracks oil level among dozens of other things. Last read out I took with my obdeleven indicated it has never been below 95% oil level. Also said the lifetime average octane was 91.5 % if I recall correctly.

There was no transmission dipstick on my 18 Sierra as it has the 8 speed. I added one to it. I'm sure there is an aftermarket option that could be made to work if you want to spend the time and effort to do it.

What do y’all think about this new trend? Personally I’m old fashioned. I want to pull a stick and SEE the oil in my engine. The level, condition, etc. can be immediately identified if I can physically see/smell it. And a dipstick never fails. Electronic sensors do.
I prefer a plain ol' dipstick for the reasons noted above. Plus, I like the opportunity to look under the hood just to keep an eye on other fluids, look for leaks, and see if any wear items need attention. I once found a broken ground wire while checking the oil.

I think it would be great to make this a mandatory safety item. If you cannot check your oil, and the electronics are not accurate then during a medical emergency the engine can seize.

Also I hear all the time and read bulletins that new engines burn oil. This is a great combination to having an engine fail.

I think it would be great to make this a mandatory safety item. If you cannot check your oil, and the electronics are not accurate then during a medical emergency the engine can seize.

Also I hear all the time and read bulletins that new engines burn oil. This is a great combination to having an engine fail.
A mandatory dipstick for safety reasons seems a bit overkill. They all still have an level oil level monitoring system that is accurate enough to make it through the development cycle.

I don't think I saw it meantioned here yet but I sure like to not only check the level of the oil but the "condition" of the oil uusing the dipstick.

Is it milky, smell like gas, blacker than my soul, etc.

What do y’all think about this new trend?
It isn't, and I don't really care.

It is my opinion that no dipstick and a sensor is better for most drivers than a dipstick and no sensor.

Ugh..
Pour in the amount specified and drive on.

Not really a “new trend”. I’ve got an oil level sensor on a 2004 Volvo in addition to the dipstick.

Oil level sensors in place of the dipstick in both 2005 Mercedes. The system works well. It’s reliable. It’s accurate.

We‘ve talked about this previously.

Post in thread 'Post a photo of your oil on dipstick (with miles)'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...il-on-dipstick-with-miles.367127/post-6444288

Post in thread 'HPL oil choice for a 600hp V8 TT?'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/hpl-oil-choice-for-a-600hp-v8-tt.373657/post-6630080

And I just thought of another issue. When the oil does get changed how do you know that the correct amount was just now poured back in there?
When I change the oil in my cars, I don't check the level when I'm done. I know how much oil each one uses and I put that amount in. If I don't spill half of it or I don't forget to install the drain plug or oil filter (I do look underneath before I start it ! 😁), I know the right amount is in the engine.

Last edited:
The oil level gauge on my Stelvio:
1703120100935.jpg

The Cayman oil level gauge looks more like this:

1703120608218.jpg

The owners manuals for each vehicle tells you how much oil it takes to get from the minimum mark to the maximum mark, and may even tell you how much each individual segment is, if you can't divide the amount by number of segments yourself.

I have no issues accessing the gauge on either car.
Might even just be as easy as turning on the ignition, without starting the car.

Reading the owners manual does tend to make one familiar with how a car works, and people really should try it sometime.

To be fair, a couple of my cars in the past said to use 4.5 quarts, but I was able to dump 5 in each time, as verified by first using 4.5, running, let it sit overnight and checking. Current fleet, not so much, so I get to keep an open container going forward (well it is capped but you get the idea).

Ugh..

I always know how much something takes to fill it, before removing the drain plug.
So long as your close, good enough.
Start it, and let it run some till warm, then check it on the display. If you need to add some, do so.

Back