The Disadvantages to using a larger oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
How about if you are worried about the warranty be honest and use what they recommend since its their engine till its out of coverage

My engine. And since stealerships are usually weasels, (mine is) I owe them nothing.
And yes, I do know better for filter selection on my engine.

They would likely try to blame a snapped camshaft on using the exact same oil filter that was 1-1/2" longer.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
How about if you are worried about the warranty be honest and use what they recommend since its their engine till its out of coverage

My engine. And since stealerships are usually weasels, (mine is) I owe them nothing.
And yes, I do know better for filter selection on my engine.

They would likely try to blame a snapped camshaft on using the exact same oil filter that was 1-1/2" longer.

Okay, Your engine and if it has a problem its YOUR problem.

Good to know that you will not bother with the mfg since they know less than you.

And the "exact same filter" is NOT the same if its 1 1/2 inches longer.

Its a different filter...

So I guess being dis-honest and putting on a different filter if something happens and taking the vehicle to the stealership is not going to happen. Excellent since I'd NOT want anyone thinking that BITOG has dis-honest members promoting acts like that on this site.

Take care, Bill

PS: And trust me, I have NO LOVE for stealerships (I only use them to buy new vehicles and warranty work. NOTHING ELSE) but can't have this site used to promoting illegal or dis-honest acts.

Last edited:
The point is...they can!! I ran a sm engine dealership for yrs, and their rules are even stricter than autos, for example a Kohler engine MUST use a kohler filter under warranty if you have lube related problems, they WILL say oh it has a fram on it, i lost one engine that way while i was in charge, from then on, id have a kohler filter put on, then id call kohler, to keep my customers best intrest in mind...

Originally Posted By: Munnsey
You cant go wrong choosing the OEM specified filter, but perhaps you may go wrong with the wrong filter.

With a new vehicle under warranty I would stick with OEM parts.
Agreed.

another example.....had a cub cadet come back with a blown hydrostatic tranny.....the guy had took his old filter and matched (size wise) to a purolator, it was ruled at fault as it did/didnt have a drain back valve (i cant remember if it did but shouldnt/ or didnt but should have)....

Originally Posted By: Munnsey

Disadvantages I have heard could be:

1. Oil pressure fluctuations.
2. Oil pressure build-up speed during a cold start may take a fraction longer.

I have come across a video where a Honda engineer mentions pressure fluctations with larger filter.

On a race car ... maybe. On a street car, really doubt a larger filter is going to cause any issues.

There are only two main things I would worry about personally (assuming other things like ADBV, Bypass, gasket, thread is all good to go)

If the vehicle is still under warranty (in that case I would use a spec filter), and the most important is any clearance issues.

For example, if the filter hangs below the oil pan, or frame/cross member. The idea here is that if the vehicle were to drive over something the frame or oil pan is what takes the beating, not the filter.

Or making sure there is enough room so when the engine twists under load, it does not push the filter into something.

edit:....whats up with the hose clamp on the oil filter in the video? I hope its not too tight!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life

edit:....whats up with the hose clamp on the oil filter in the video? I hope its not too tight!!

The clamp is there to prevent the can from expanding under pressure or pressure fluctuation. Just snug would do it on the clamp.

Cracks me up. Geez, they make it seem that the oil filter is an 'expansion tank' or 'balloon'. Put 1 band on the oil filter because it gets "warped". What about the rest of the filter?
I guess a cheap thin-walled OE Honda filter is not what I want on my car.

I use bigger oil filters when they fit always. But, I also don't have any under-engineered Honda engines in the driveway either.

I prefer the 2qt oil filter on my small block chevy than the smaller 1qt, only reason I do it is to double the filter media area and add that extra qt of oil, going on my 27th year of using the bigger filter with no problems
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
.With a new vehicle under warranty I would stick with OEM parts.
Can't agree with that. Since this an oil filter board, I'm specifically talking oil filters here. In my experience, quality aftermarket oil filters are every bit as good or better than OEM, readily available, and can generally be had for less money.

Now, using the correct size spec'd aftermarket filter while under warranty is another matter IMO. Filter size 'could be' a factor in voiding your warranty if there's an issue. Others have posted ways around it, I guess it's one of those comfort level things. The one specific example I can think of is the 14612 size vs 14610 size. Many Nissans spec the "shorty" (2 in. length and media area, that it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't be an improvement, but it's not an extreme change.

Otoh, there are some here that just prefer OEM filters, I'm just not one of them.

...but can't have this site used to promoting illegal or dis-honest acts.

"Promoting" What in the heck are you talking about?
I don't care what filters others use. I make no recommendations, but told what I use and why. I also will not use the factory filter because it does not filter to my satisfaction.

What is the board for if not for discussion?

Then don't. Dude, you need to get over your mod crush. Quite frankly, it appeared to be an A and B conversation. No C involved.

Just noticed the OP video. Funny thing about that is, the 01 Civic first went to the smaller 14610 filter for that year. The dealer was still selling/using the larger 14459 that was used in the previous years. Did so for some time because they couldn't get the smaller filter. I know because I bought several and had oc from dealer. Sort of ironic.

...but can't have this site used to promoting illegal or dis-honest acts.

"Promoting" What in the heck are you talking about?
I don't care what filters others use. I make no recommendations, but told what I use and why. I also will not use the factory filter because it does not filter to my satisfaction.

What is the board for if not for discussion?

Short term memory loss?

The oil filter will not cause a problem and the burden of proof would be on the manufacturer. If the engine blows, I can easily switch to the OEM filter before having it towed in to keep them from trying to weasel out of anything.

And;

Originally Posted By: AMC
If the engine blows, I can easily switch to the OEM filter before having it towed in to keep them from trying to weasel out of anything. That's the way I roll.

LOL that is my plan too! I am glad someone else thinks like me, makes me feel perhaps a little less crazy
crazy2.gif
I am a little concerned about the possibilty of having to change an oil filter on the side of the road with no ramps, no jack (well only the little one that came with the vehicle), no real tools, in the middle of winter with cars speeding by but hey, would I be a BITOGer if I let that scare me out of it?
cool.gif

Post something like that and expect to have some call you on it.

Its interesting that you know more and have more experience than the folks who MADE the engine / tested the engine in millions of miles all over the place.

You are correct, we have in the rules "members agree that they alone shall be responsible for any injury or damage resulting from the use of unreliable information that may have been posted in this forum" but I still like to see content that is dishonest or illegal to be called out.

I'd think since you know more than the stealership that you'd fix it your self. Why take off the "better" filter if its not an issue? What are you trying to hide if its so legal or honest to run the "same" filter even if its not?

Bill

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
i wouldnt argue w bill in utah!!

No worry unless the discussion goes against the rules of the board as it would be with any member.

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
i wouldnt argue w bill in utah!!

His accusations are completely inappropriate.
Bill has no idea of my honesty. Not a clue. But I will not be taken by the stealership on a bogus and unrelated warranty denial, either. As I said, I never recommended others use any type of filters.
Therefore, I'll argue all I want. It's just a forum. Kick me out. I'll just spend the BITOG contribution money on bigger and bigger filters. Bwahahahaha!

Well I disagree with what you said, Bill, and it made me mad at you. You are still on my buddy list, so it is not personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back