So I put a Wix oil filter 51334 on my 2018 tucson base model 2.0L and immediately the check engine light came on.

Wix is made by Mann Hummel - - - - which is the OEM manufacturer for Hyundai Kia - - -
If you look on the box I bet it is also made in south Korea.

Strange - - - I run wix and man filters in both our Santa Fe and carnival - - - no issues or codes.
I too run WIX on the Palisaide and have in the past on many H/K models. Hopefully not something wrong with the vehicle.

Hopefully Grasshopper will return and help clarify some of the questions. I still want to know about the low oil pressure indication vs. the CEL.
I thought you were referring to David Carradine....

1711111089959.jpg

My guess is low oil pressure and the CEL was for the cam solenoids underperforming.

Hyundais are sensitive to the cartridge filters. Mainly because they use different ones in the same size motor but different models or the o ring left in/out.

Reactions: TCL
When I had my 95 neon, put a fram extra guard on,around 2002 Quaker state dino. It was around November,used 5w30. Immediately oil pressure light came on . Changed it next day, Mobil oil filter light never came on.

My guess is low oil pressure and the CEL was for the cam solenoids underperforming.

Hyundais are sensitive to the cartridge filters. Mainly because they use different ones in the same size motor but different models or the o ring left in/out.
Wix 51334 that the OP called out in the thread title is a spin-on M20x1.5 thread size (that MANY H/Ks use, along with a majority of Asian autos FWIW) which most closely resembles the Fram 3593A size. What do cartridge filters have to do with anything as far as the OP is concerned?

Wix 51334 that the OP called out in the thread title is a spin-on M20x1.5 thread size (that MANY H/Ks use, along with a majority of Asian autos FWIW) which most closely resembles the Fram 3593A size. What do cartridge filters have to do with anything as far as the OP is concerned?
Well I guess none. So the onus is on Wix. Sorry if I don't run cross reference on filters. :D

When I had my 95 neon, put a fram extra guard on,around 2002 Quaker state dino. It was around November,used 5w30. Immediately oil pressure light came on . Changed it next day, Mobil oil filter light never came on.
Those Fram filters. Whatever next?

My brother has the same vehicle and it did not like the filter from Valvoline instant oil change. But I think the filter they use is smaller than the OEM if I’m not mistaken.

My brother has the same vehicle and it did not like the filter from Valvoline instant oil change. But I think the filter they use is smaller than the OEM if I’m not mistaken.
Fast lube shops typically use filter models that fit as many vehicles as possible so their inventory doesn't have to be huge. So some vehicles may get a smaller sized filter than an OEM or some other aftermarket brand filter.

Fast lube shops typically use filter models that fit as many vehicles as possible so their inventory doesn't have to be huge. So some vehicles may get a smaller sized filter than an OEM or some other aftermarket brand filter.
Guess at that point you’d have to choose a shop that lets you supply your own filter. It was causing his to throw a light on the dash.

Although the CEL went out, the code should still be stored as a history (H) code. Pull the code and post it here.

It’s a coincidence unless the codes were VVT related ones.

However, HyunKia engines are known not to play nice with aftermarket filters - Fram had to tweak the PH3595A filters as PH9688 and M&H relabel(ed) the Korean-made Hyundai OE filter as the 51334. Caveat emptor if you decide to use a 6607/7317 sized filter on a HyunKia like the quick lubes do.

It’s a coincidence unless the codes were VVT related ones.

However, HyunKia engines are known not to play nice with aftermarket filters - Fram had to tweak the PH3595A filters as PH9688 and M&H relabel(ed) the Korean-made Hyundai OE filter as the 51334. Caveat emptor if you decide to use a 6607/7317 sized filter on a HyunKia like the quick lubes do.
Any info on what changes were made to those filters?

Bypass pressure, IIRC.
If that's all it was, then changing the bypass valve setting isn't going to change the dP vs flow performance of the filter. Only way oil flow volume can be reduced to the engine is if the back pressure on the oil pump (the flow resistance of the oiling system + filter) is so high that the PD hits pressure relief. An oil filter is typically about 15 times less flow restrictive than the oiling system. The pump hitting pressure relief is not going to happen at low RPM unless the filter is totally blocked, and the filter's bypass valve flow area is so restrictive that it acts like a choked down small orifice, and therefore causes the pump to hit pressure relief. Not likely to happen at all with a new filter like in this case.

I would chase this down (in order):

1. Scan and check the codes.
2. Put another Wix filter on (which would shed light on whether it is "the filter" or "that filter."
3. Put the original filter back on and see if light comes back.
I would ask the thread-starter to follow ^^^^Tom Young's lead^^^^ and.....
Do #3 again. I doubt the light comes back on.

Do it today please. Just change from your Easter Bunny outfit, prior to crawling under.

Back