Best oil filter for Hyundai - OEM or another?

Best oil filter for Hyundai - OEM or another?

I have a 2022 Elantra Hybrid, and given Hyundai's history of oil consumption, I am trying to do whatever cheap insurance I can.

I am doing oil changes every 3,750 miles, and I am going to bring Quaker State Ultimate Protection 0W20 full synthetic to the dealership to substitute for the dealership's plain Quaker State full synthetic.

I was wondering if there are any oil filters that are clearly superior to the OEM. E.g., NAPA Platinum, Fram Titanium, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, etc.

My goal isn't to extend the oil past 3,750 miles. I'd love to, since frequent oil changes are a pain in the butt, but I won't risk extending the interval.

Instead, my goal is simply to optimize oil pressure and minimize contamination for those 3,750 miles.

If you go to the forums splash page and type "best oil filter" into the quick search, you'll find many similar threads that will give you hours of reading enjoyment.

1708271566429.jpg

How does one determine correct 'gas engine' mileage with hybrid vehicles?
What engine do you have?
Lastly, get the free dealer oil change without your jug. If they offer it at 7.5k, then change your own oil in-between (3.75k).
The dealers oil is synthetic and its plenty-fine for 3.75k.

I use Champ XL oil filters. They are virtually identical to OEM Korea. Get em' cheap from rockauto.com.
Take the word virtual with a grain of salt thou. (example) Our USA is not virtually identical to Korea.

Last edited:
The OE filter is the Mann W811/80, and Mann is also the parent company to Purolator and Wix (Napa's supplier). Sometimes, but not always, the Wix/Napa Gold will be a reboxed OE Mann. If the particular Wix/Napa Gold you buy is made in Korea, it's probably the reboxed OE Mann.

Another good filter at a decent price is the Full 2-OHY001, made by Siam Filter in Thailand. Siam/Full isn't the OE supplier to Hyundai, but they are an OE supplier. In fact, most oil filters made in Thailand, OE or aftermarket, are made by Siam Filter, regardless of the name painted on the can. Napa also has this Altrom Ultra8 filter at a decent price.

For such a short OCI, even the cheapest oil filter will do. The main benefits of the premium filters is that they last longer, which you don't need.

The Ultimate is also no better than the regular QS synthetic for a short OCI.

If you're worried about oil consumption, consider using HM oil.

How does one determine correct 'gas engine' mileage with hybrid vehicles?
What engine do you have?
Lastly, get the free dealer oil change without your jug. If they offer it at 7.5k, then change your own oil in-between (3.75k).
The dealers oil is synthetic and its plenty-fine for 3.75k.

I use Champ XL oil filters. They are virtually identical to OEM Korea. Get em' cheap from rockauto.com.
Take the word virtual with a grain of salt thou. (example) Our USA is not virtually identical to Korea.
My engine is the SmartStream 1.6 Hybrid non-turbo.

I'm just following the manual. It says 7,500 miles but 3,750 if severe maintenance. My daily driving is 60 miles roundtrip at 60 mph, so very NOT severe. But I also live in a place where they salt the roads, which also falls under the severe maintenance schedule.

One reason I want to use the Quaker State Ultimate Protection is that it comes with an extra $3,000 engine warranty.

I'm still going to have the dealer do every oil change. I just want to know if there's a better filter I can provide them.

Thanks.

Most store shelved filter will meet your 3,750 mile requirement so they're all the "best" in that regard. Purolator Classic or One is my go to these days.

My engine is the SmartStream 1.6 Hybrid non-turbo.

I'm just following the manual. It says 7,500 miles but 3,750 if severe maintenance. My daily driving is 60 miles roundtrip at 60 mph, so very NOT severe. But I also live in a place where they salt the roads, which also falls under the severe maintenance schedule.

One reason I want to use the Quaker State Ultimate Protection is that it comes with an extra $3,000 engine warranty.

I'm still going to have the dealer do every oil change. I just want to know if there's a better filter I can provide them.

Thanks.

For the salt, get a rustproofing done annually. Krown is the most well-known, but there are others. It helps a lot.

The salt/rust has nothing to do with the engine or oil and has no reason to shorten the OCI based on that alone. Anything the oil lubricates isn't going to rust, and the engine itself is aluminum.

If you're so concerned about warranty issues that you actually take it to the dealer for oil changes, just let them use the OEM oil filter and whatever oil they use. The extra warranty means nothing if it's actually covered by the regular Hyundai warranty or recall.

I've maintained an old 2002 model year Elantra for 22 years. I have always used the OEM Hyundai filter, P/N 26300-35505. These filters cost me $6.30 from an on-line source and they're very well made. The latest batch I purchased came in some ugly blown cardboard box as opposed the former nice, glossy, blue/white boxes, but the filter appears the same.

There are a few on RockAuto that will save a dollar or two but for the difference I'd just stick with OEM. They just look good hanging on that engine.
Elantra filter 1.jpg

Quaker State may be suggested in the owners manual . Q.S.U.P. or P.U.P. be good choices . O.E.M. or MANN / HUMMEL for starters .

Last edited:
I've maintained an old 2002 model year Elantra for 22 years. I have always used the OEM Hyundai filter, P/N 26300-35505. These filters cost me $6.30 from an on-line source and they're very well made. The latest batch I purchased came in some ugly blown cardboard box as opposed the former nice, glossy, blue/white boxes, but the filter appears the same.

There are a few on RockAuto that will save a dollar or two but for the difference I'd just stick with OEM. They just look good hanging on that engine.
View attachment 204240
IIRC, Hyundai marketed filters have the box shown, while Kia marketed filters are the plain brown. Same filter inside.

For the salt, get a rustproofing done annually. Krown is the most well-known, but there are others. It helps a lot.

The salt/rust has nothing to do with the engine or oil and has no reason to shorten the OCI based on that alone. Anything the oil lubricates isn't going to rust, and the engine itself is aluminum.

If you're so concerned about warranty issues that you actually take it to the dealer for oil changes, just let them use the OEM oil filter and whatever oil they use. The extra warranty means nothing if it's actually covered by the regular Hyundai warranty or recall.
I got an NH OU oil wax-based rustproofing.

And yeah, I don't know what salt has to do with oil, but the manual specifically says to change the oil twice as often if the car is driven on salted roads.

I got an NH OU oil wax-based rustproofing.

And yeah, I don't know what salt has to do with oil, but the manual specifically says to change the oil twice as often if the car is driven on salted roads.

Hyundai is probably thinking of colder temperatures and short trips (and possibly more idling while you warm up the car and clean the snow off) :unsure:

Back