Run Away KIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I still see no need for these push button systems. Way too complex for such a simple task.

Agreed 100%. Its one of those things on a car that is there 100% for the "gee whiz!" factor and provides absolutely NO enhancement to function or really even to convenience whatsoever. The novelty will wear off, just like it did for pushbutton transmissions in the 60s (which I still think are very gee-whiz and cool, but if you ever saw the linkages required for pushbutton automatic, you'd think a plain old lever looks pretty darned good.)

Guess what happens when the battery in the Fob dies?

Yep no workie. Dead. Can't even GET INTO THE VEHICLE!

And the Fob battery is not a common size that you can get just everywhere.

One word on these "systems"... PASS

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Guess what happens when the battery in the Fob dies?

Yep no workie. Dead. Can't even GET INTO THE VEHICLE!

And the Fob battery is not a common size that you can get just everywhere.

One word on these "systems"... PASS

Bill, for my Nissan altima the key fob has two ways around your "issues". One: the key fob has a key inside of it which you use to get yourself into the car/trunk. Yes it still has "old fashioned" locks on driver door and trunk.
Two: you then take your dead battery key fob insert it into a access panel on left side dash near the steering wheel. This doesn't charge the battery BUT makes the key work with the system in order to start the vehicle.
Also my car has always let me know when the battery is near replacement.
I cannot think of going back to carrying keys.
So i'm not too sure about other makes but i'm sure they have their own ways for what I just went over.
Oh btw the battery is pretty common cr2023 which big stores, drug stores, even gas stations probably have them. So i'm not too worried about that.
So I wouldn't make a blatant comment before actually knowing said system.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: sciphi
They almost need to mandate a third pedal in the cabin that's a physical disconnect between the transmission and engine....

You mean a clutch?
wink.gif
Perhaps we do need more manual transmissions!

Thats my story and Im sticking to it!

Maybe it's just me, but the instructions from that manual seem overly complicated for such an important topic.

It sounds like she would have pushed the button for 2 seconds or 3 times in succession, whether she intended to or not. I wonder what the problem really was.

They almost need to mandate a third pedal in the cabin that's a physical disconnect between the transmission and engine....

You mean a clutch?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

You mean a clutch?
wink.gif

Bingo! I was waiting to see who picked up on it.

Again sounds like an electrical fault, and driver ignorance of how their vehicle operates. We need to do a better job of driver education.

Although, that lady might just want to borrow her husband's car and go compete in some autocross events. Some of the driving in that video took a lot of skill, and nerve.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

You mean a clutch?
wink.gif

Bingo.

If EVERY vehicle had a "third pedal" that "issue" would cease to exist.

Of course I also think this woman is another clueless driver who panicked unnecessarily and I would bet that she could have gotten the car into neutral but was too panic stricken to think things out. She and many other clueless idiots should not be allowed on the road.

Last edited:
fly/drive by wire stinks. i told you this before you did it. ( iam talking to the car makers) the only way it works on a FA117 is that they have 6-7 backup computers.

not all cars have an e-brake. most will have a parking brake, but not all have a e-brake. the "Obligatory woman driver comment." dont get me started down that road.

Last edited:
Must have a little Toyota DNA in it LOL

Originally Posted By: jdeare
I read that headline as "Run Away From KIA".

I suspect there will soon be a gov't requirement for the button to turn the engine off so that this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

Originally Posted By: morris
fly/drive by wire stinks. i told you this before you did it. ( iam talking to the car makers) the only way it works on a FA117 is that they have 6-7 backup computers.

It appears there were at least three ways for her to slow down - press and hold brake to kick in the override, hold or rapidly press the start/stop button, or shift into neutral.

While it's too early to know for sure, likely she just didn't know to do these things.

Long story short - don't blame the car just yet.

Last edited:
I did Formula SAE in university. One summer one of the other schools had a locked throttle incident. The driver, very likely a college aged engineering student with a supposed interest in cars did not think to put it in nuetral, pop the clutch or whatever other remedies where available and had a serious accident. The Formula SAE governing body then enacted a rule mandating a kill switch on the brake pedal should the brake pedal bottom out. The rule was/is totally unnecessary IMO, but it goes to show that in panic situations these things can/do happen even to non-grannies or teen aged bimbos.

I dont know what is wrong with an old school key or even just a switch if the manufacturs want to he all high tech and keyless.

If this the one I just saw on local news - so she had one hand on the wheel and was yappin to 911 - maybe holding the phone with the other hand. So she needed a 3rd hand to shift it out of Drive. So she must have applied the emergency brake before making that phone call.
I can see get home from work real fast then saying it was freaky but then suddenly started to work normal as I approached home.

I did have a pedal stay to the floor when the throttle return spring broke up by the carb. I shut the ignition off. But that was a much older vehicle. Kind of fun while I accelerated, but what a strange feeling when I let off the throttle and she kept screaming up rpm

Last edited:
I didn't see the brake lights come on in the video until the very end.

I would have been standing on that pedal and holding the button down. Then again, I have never been in a car that wouldn't shift to neutral. I can understand the Prius not working because it doesn't have a regular shift selector, but not the Kia.

Throw the proximity key fob out the window maybe. I don't know what the ECM will do when it loses the proximity fob signal, but it isn't going to make this kind of situation worse.

The parking brake? Probably those tiny shoes the size of a Honda Express moped inside the rotor hub. They wouldn't have much effect.

Couple of things to look at here ...

1) If it was something wedged on the gas pedal, she has no vacuum and probably wasn't thinking of pulling on the steering wheel to push the gas pedal to the floor. Anyone ever had to stop on a stalled vehicle from highway speed? I had to once (lanyard caught right and shut the cheroke off going 55 towards a stoplight). I had to practically pull the steering wheel out of the dash and push on the pedal for all I was worth to stop. The driver probably wasn't thinking that she had to do this. This would cause her to slowly burn the brakes out of it.

2)Everything is computed. If the computer freaked out and was thinking "wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open wide open " it likely wasn't thinking "Oh, lets turn on the brake lights" or "lets turn the engine off" or "lets put it in neutral".

The shifter on these cars aren't connected to anything put a sensor, the computer has to "think" of whether or not to put the car in neutral.

3) I would say a good portion of drivers don't know what the "N" is.

I have a mechanical linkage between my engine and trasnsmission that can get disengaged. While I haven't been in that particular situation, I'm pretty sure I'd push the clutch to the floor and let the engine bounce off the rev limiter until it scattered it's innards along the highway.

Originally Posted By: chiks
What is the e brake for? I am sure it is not a footrest.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

The parking brake? Probably those tiny shoes the size of a Honda Express moped inside the rotor hub. They wouldn't have much effect.

Yeah, those little things would go up in smoke... Even if it was the type that mechanically actuated the rear caliper (assuming rear disk), it was be unlikely to stop the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back