Failured to Signal a Lane Change, Died Days Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The video posted by the Texas Department of Public Safety shows the trooper stopping Bland for failure to signal a lane change.

The conversation quickly turns hostile when the officer asks Bland to put out her cigarette and she asks why she can't smoke in her own car. The trooper then orders Bland to get out of the vehicle. She refuses, and he tells her she is under arrest.

A law enforcement expert from Maryland said he was troubled by the video "from start to finish."

Vernon Herron, a senior policy analyst with the University of Maryland Center for Health and Homeland Security, said if the trooper intended to give her a warning, that's what he should have done, no matter what the woman said to him.

"A person's attitude or their demeanor is not probable cause to make an arrest," said Herron, who has more than 35 years of experience in public safety and law enforcement.

http://news.yahoo.com/da-too-early-know-woman-died-texas-jail-071406087.html#

It seems like the officer who's making arrest abusing the power. The driver smokes in her car is not probable cause to make an arrest, even the trooper doesn't like smoking.

If the police arrested people here for not using signals changing lanes or other traffic violations, there would not be enough jails for holding them.

Early on this was escalated by both sides, from what I saw on the video. Common courtesy goes a long way and it never should have gotten that far.

How about this:

Trooper: "Please put out the cigarette."
Ms. Bland: "Oh, sorry it bothers you, I'll put it out."
Trooper: "Thank you, here is your warning, please use your signal in the future."
Ms. Bland: "I certainly will please have a good day."

/end video

Last edited:
Obviously the woman was mentally unstable like a lot of the public. The police need to learn how to deal with these people, the cop in this situation did nothing but escalate the situation - IMO.

I completely side with Ms Bland in this one. I heard the audio on the news today,and the way that [censored] hole cop screamed at her for asking why she should step out of her car and wouldn't tell her why she was being detained blew my mind. Guy sounds like a total douche-bag with severe cop syndrome.

The trooper is expected to be the professional. Clearly he wasn't and decided to escalate the situation. He knew what he was doing.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Early on this was escalated by both sides, from what I saw on the video. Common courtesy goes a long way and it never should have gotten that far.

How about this:

Trooper: "Please put out the cigarette."
Ms. Bland: "Oh, sorry it bothers you, I'll put it out."
Trooper: "Thank you, here is your warning, please use your signal in the future."
Ms. Bland: "I certainly will please have a good day."

/end video

Agreed. A little courtesy goes a long way.

Originally Posted By: Al
Here is a silly idea that would solve 99% of these problems:
"Yes sir officer".."No sir officer"

I agree.
There is an element of today's society that has no manners and less brains....

14 times is when she asked for the reason of her arrest. 0 times is when the cop gave her an answer.

Also, you do not need to be polite to the police in order to survive an encounter with them.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
14 times is when she asked for the reason of her arrest. 0 times is when the cop gave her an answer.

Also, you do not need to be polite to the police in order to survive an encounter with them.

Yeah....but it helps.....

Are you one of those who think Michael Brown had his hands up or do you realize he was attacking the PO and tried to take his weapon?

Being rude, while unpleasant, is NOT a crime. Period. This guy was under the impression that that which offends him is against the law.

Last edited:
Another instance. this time a white woman was killed. One of the shooters was videoed bragging about his marksmanship.

[...]“Let me get out there and get her out,” Malone calls out to the other officers, according to the GBI audio transcripts.

“Hold on, hold on,” one unknown officer responds.

“If she moves the car, I’m going to shoot her,” Simpson says.

Moments later gunfire erupts and Small is hit by police bullets.

After the shooting, Sasser and Simpson are heard on video discussing the shoot.

“Where did you hit her?” Simpson asks, according to a GBI transcript.

“I hit her right in the face,” Sasser says.

“I watched the bridge of her nose…I pulled the trigger and I watched it hit her at the same time I think I fired,” Simpson says.[...]

http://investigations.myajc.com/caroline-small-shooting/

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Another instance. this time a white woman was killed. One of the shooters was videoed bragging about his marksmanship.

[...]“Let me get out there and get her out,” Malone calls out to the other officers, according to the GBI audio transcripts.

“Hold on, hold on,” one unknown officer responds.

“If she moves the car, I’m going to shoot her,” Simpson says.

Moments later gunfire erupts and Small is hit by police bullets.

After the shooting, Sasser and Simpson are heard on video discussing the shoot.

“Where did you hit her?” Simpson asks, according to a GBI transcript.

“I hit her right in the face,” Sasser says.

“I watched the bridge of her nose…I pulled the trigger and I watched it hit her at the same time I think I fired,” Simpson says.[...]

http://investigations.myajc.com/caroline-small-shooting/

that lady's car was so close to the cop car, no way her car could have endangered them to justify shooting her. her car was blocked off. she probably didn't want to get arrested for drugs

I have always been nice and respectful when I get pulled over and of the very few times that has happened, I only got a ticket once. In fact The officer even thanked me for being courteous and I am sure that was why I got a warning.

I see someone who copped an attitude (no pun intended) then quickly found out where the bear sits in the buckwheat (pun intended).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back