Chicago PD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
The judge has latitude to decide what sort of record keeping goes on in his courtroom. However it is public court and the defendant in this case could have brought his own lawyer, stenographer or other witnesses.

This is why we have courtroom sketch artists; photography is sometimes banned.

Judge Ito caught flack for allowing all sorts of video cameras in the OJ trial. He could legally have been tighter.

As for cops working in public or on the defendant's property, he has every right to tape what they're doing.

I don't really disagree that a judge should be able to not allow a video recorder in a court room. But he was charged with "wire tapping" and faces 75 years I guess for recording the cops in public or oon his property. And this is just the tip of the iceburgh of the corruption and abuses that the article talks about.

Originally Posted By: nazareth
Originally Posted By: volvos_rock
This article is from the Huffington Post, an outstanding news orginization
crackmeup2.gif

If he was taping without the consent of the judge, or the Police, at other times as the article seems to suggest, then in most states (listed in others replies) what he did was in fact illegal. And in keeping with the outsatnding reporting from the Huff, you can not be arrested for violating someones right to privacy (sued yes, held in contempt yes,he had to violate the wire tap laws, or some other specific law or ordinance). He should have hired his own stenographer.

and people like you are the problem
Yep, because I wrote the wiretap laws
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I don't care what news organization wrote the article. What they're doing in Illinios and the Chicago PD is indefensible.

What you are saying is not true. In most states no one including public officials have an expectation of privacy in public. Court proceedings are supposed to be a matter of public record. No one was ever wire tapping any public officials. It is just opressive and corrupt officials abusing an already over reaching law to harasses the public and keep it cover it up. Only the corrupt need to hide their actions from the light of day.

You need to re-read the wiretap laws....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back