Question about hths and relation to wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edhackett
The HTHS viscosity is what keeps your bearings operating in the proper lubrication regime. ZDDP does not work in hydrodynamic lubrication, or with soft metals found in bearings. ZDDP only works at high pressures and temperatures when ferrous metals come in contact. HTHS viscosity and ZDDP are addressing different lubrication issues and one does not substitute for the other.

Ed

Ed's response here is my favorite so far.

A HTHS of 3.5 vs 3.4 may not seem like a big difference. That 0.1 mPa.s could be the difference between your bearing's operating in purely hydrodynamic, and boundary conditions. If that was the case, then the ZDDP and other AW chemistry would become active and hopefully protect the engine from wear. Because we are talking about two different lubrication regimes, as Ed said, they address different lubrication issues.

The problem with running a lower HTHS lubricant is that you are likely to increase the amount of exposure to boundary lubrication, in an engine that wasn't designed for that. This then can cause the additive formula to work harder (and therefore wear out faster). This could also result in increased temperatures, higher oxidation rates and other stresses on the oil. Of course this is all dependent on your operating conditions because speed and load of the engine can also play a big role in which lubrication regime you are operating in.

This is being kind of nit-picky on the performance and protection. It's probably not going to kill your engine if you decide to use the HTHS 3.4 oil, but when there are plenty of options out there that meet your required spec.

One could argue that in your specific conditions using the lighter HTHS could provide some fuel economy benefits, as long as you monitored the oil's performance and your operating conditions, to ensure that the increased exposure to boundary conditions didn't have negative effects on things like your oil drain interval length, TBN retention, or increased wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I asked a question for the "experts" on here. Why is it when someone asks a question they deserve to be degraded by everyone on here. I didn't say i was going to run RP. I had a mind boggling question that I couldn't answer and figured you guys could. Sorry for asking a question, thought that was why you guys were here

I think the question has been answered many times in the eight threads you've started about oil for your Audi. It's been explained that using a non spec oil, won't blow up your motor, but may not provide optimum performance resulting in a shorter useful life. The why's and how's of HTHS, SAPS, etc. are detailed subjects. I suggest you spend some time reading this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

I think I saw somewhere that your engine has twin turbos.
Personally, I would not even consider putting a non spec oil in that engine. Period! M1 0w-40 is what I'd be using.

01.gif
and
11.gif

Originally Posted By: BrianC
Personally, I would not even consider putting a non spec oil in that engine. Period! M1 0w-40 is what I'd be using.

And that is what he is using, but he's got an oil consumption issue, so he's trying to see if maybe using a different oil will help with that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

And that is what he is using, but he's got an oil consumption issue, so he's trying to see if maybe using a different oil will help with that.

Well then going to a lower HTHS oil would probably just make the matter worse, wouldn't it?

So between Mobil 1 0w-40, castrol 0w-40 and rotella t6 5w-40. Which one is the best? I live in ny so I will run 0w in the winter. But what about for the summer? Been reading some great things on rotella but should I go with that? Mobil 1 isn't have much of a consumption issue. Barely has went down at all. I thought it was using oil but I checked it on an unlevel surface without paying attention (stupid me)

The one on sale that meets VW 502. your engine doesn't care about names, only about specs.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

You and several others that posted similar answers will all receive a "Round-Tuit" coin that they can hold and cherish. This is a very valuable coin and can be given to anyone that has difficulty getting around to it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The one on sale that meets VW 502. your engine doesn't care about names, only about specs.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

You and several others that posted similar answers will all receive a "Round-Tuit" coin that they can hold and cherish. This is a very valuable coin and can be given to anyone that has difficulty getting around to it.

I shall never forget this heart felt moment!! LOL

OP - Where in NY are you? Do you really need to use a 0W40?

If consumption doesn't go back down to an acceptable rate (+/- a smidgen), I might try RT6 or perhaps M1 TDT. But I would most likely try M1 10W30 or 10W40 High Mileage. All of these choices have an HTHS of 3.5 or higher.

Last edited:
I asked a question for the "experts" on here. Why is it when someone asks a question they deserve to be degraded by everyone on here. I didn't say i was going to run RP. I had a mind boggling question that I couldn't answer and figured you guys could. Sorry for asking a question, thought that was why you guys were here

That's because a lot of people don't have actual knowledge and they'll attack a form of a question or a thought as oppose to focusing on a substance.

Check out this collection of engineering research on the subject. It establishes a direct correlation between HTHS and wear.

http://books.google.com/books/about/High_temperature_High_shear_HTHS_Oil_Vis.html?id=XjTaOqEgHeEC

I'm in upstate New York. In the summer we get 80-95 degree temps. But this past winter it was the coldes February in the past 100 years up here. Constant below zero temps and most -20 to -30 temps. I've only had the car since March though so I haven't driven it in the winter yet.

I'm in upstate New York. In the summer we get 80-95 degree temps. But this past winter it was the coldes February in the past 100 years up here. Constant below zero temps and most -20 to -30 temps. I've only had the car since March though so I haven't driven it in the winter yet.

As you know HTHS viscosity is measured at a certain temperature, and it does change with temperature. Therefore, manufacturers specify higher hths oils for engines that run hotter, like turbo engines.

For your location 5w is well suited, but 0w is even better not to mention more readily available in your case.

If you look at ACEA spec, oil companies must run many different tests to get certified. That ensures their oils meet wear, sludge etc requirements. How oil companies blend their products is mainly a proprietary information and you will not find much detail anywhere. Some address spec requirement through a base oil, others through additives, but almost always it's a combination of the two.

As a customer, however, you care about the ultimate test i.e. does the oil or does it not meet the spec. So, look at the specs oil meets.

I've used both M1 0w40 and Castrol Edge 0w40. Both ACEA A3/B4 certified, both MB 229.5 certified. M1 has a little higher hths. Both oils will do job required.

For more details you would have to get test results from the oil manufacturers, which they will not release anyway.

I posted this video over in the HDEO section. I thought it might be relevent to the conversation. It's a video from Shell showing an engine teardown after 500K+ miles using an experimental low HTHS 10W-30 HDEO. Very suprising results.

https://youtu.be/f3AqrLCBoqM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back