Best 5w-40 and 0w-40?

So I will take it you don't know why the Mobil Delvac 0w40 meets Ford's WSS-M2C171-F1, yet Mobil Delvac ESP 5w40 DOES NOT. And of note, if one goes to Mobil's oil selection site, the site does not offer any recommendations for the Powerstroke 6.7 manufactured after 2017.

Very confusing why the Mobil 0w40 does meet Ford's Wss-M2C171-F1, and the 5w40 doesn't.

Likely some silly reason related to the exact specific of the spec but most of it is arbitrary numbers needing to be met and not have the formulation properly performance tested. It's like Castrol not being ll-01 rated anymore but I doubt the bmw owners who didn't notice suddenly endangered their engines. Haven't heard of X CK rated hdeo being bad and causing any damage to the psd. Even so OP was talking about an older rover v6 and any CK rated hdeo is fine for it.

Likely some silly reason related to the exact specific of the spec but most of it is arbitrary numbers needing to be met and not have the formulation properly performance tested. It's like Castrol not being ll-01 rated anymore but I doubt the bmw owners who didn't notice suddenly endangered their engines. Haven't heard of X CK rated hdeo being bad and causing any damage to the psd. Even so OP was talking about an older rover v6 and any CK rated hdeo is fine for it.
JH, its ok to say "I don't know".

JH, its ok to say "I don't know".
And it's okay to say that you brought up power strokes in for no reason on a discussion for an older range Rover. I don't know where PSD came from, it doesn't matter to this discussion. Were you just bored today and started fishing the forums?

And it's okay to say that you brought up power strokes in for no reason on a discussion for an older range Rover. I don't know where PSD came from, it doesn't matter to this discussion. Were you just bored today and started fishing the forums?
I thought it was an applicable branch/ sequel question for this thread. But it is ok to say "I don't know".

Why the hell so many forum members miss the fact the OP lives in the UK, not in America?
In the UK (like all Europe) oil choice is completely different to NA. No Phillips, no Quaker State, no Shell Rotella, very few Mobil Delvac products in the UK. Many suggestions are not helpful, just because not available in Europe. One of the very few Delvac oils available in the UK:

It's not cold in the UK. 5W-30 is recommended and most probably ideal. Feel free using 0W-40 just if you feel better with it, but not a necessity at all.

You got it. :whistle:

I'd consider running M1 ESP 0W-40, coming with reputable approvals:

PORSCHE C40
MB-Approval 229.51
MB-Approval 229.52
GM dexos2
VW 511 00

You're looking for "Best 5w-40 and 0w-40"? As mentioned there's no best.
However there's a tremendously huge range of appropriate and excellent
5W-30, 0W-40 and 5W-40.
"Best?" Look for those with the most of the "most reputable" approvals.
Maybe that comes closest to "best".
That's why I used to use recent years like Ravenol REP 5W-30, RUP 5W-40,
(RCS 5W-40 no approvals, but a high-SAPS version of RUP), M1 ESP 5W-30
and the mentioned M1 ESP X3 0W-40.
On a side note: I fully agree with the benefit of oil coolers and the importance
of oil temps. You should consider limited oil temps as the safeguard for your
engine, much more than "best" oils.

ps:
Very most 5W-30 are thinner compared to very most if not all 0W-40 at
freezing point.
Thank you this helped massively!

So if it was your choice, which mobil recommendation would you go for? Delvac or the esp? I hate doing this but would you you run if it was your vehicle?

Thanks again!

With a modern Diesel most probably M1 ESP 5W-30 or Ravenol REP 5W-30
(but $$$). That's just me.
And best to monitor engine and transmission oil temperatures whenever you
haul a 3-ton trailer, including exact coolant temp (most factory gauges tend
to cheat).

With a modern Diesel most probably M1 ESP 5W-30 or Ravenol REP 5W-30
(but $$$). That's just me.
And best to monitor engine and transmission oil temperatures whenever you
haul a 3-ton trailer, including exact coolant temp (most factory gauges tend
to cheat
Thank you for that! Much appreciated! I'll look into those too!

I'm currently looking at grabbing a trio of gauges. Oil temp and pressure along with coolant temp just to monitor everything. See how hot it's all getting.

Thank you for that! Much appreciated! I'll look into those too!

I'm currently looking at grabbing a trio of gauges. Oil temp and pressure along with coolant temp just to monitor everything. See how hot it's all getting.
Hello sir
Thanks for being here and asking……Nobody here is the know all oil guy. We all learn something everyday
Good luck !!👍

Devon in the UK, cold, ha!
I'd use a 15w40 year round.
I'd run something like Shell Rimula 15w-40 which my garage I work at keeps in stock, just not heard of many people running it in a disco 3. Don't wanna cause problems see haha.

My garage also keeps Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5w30 in bulk too so may just end up running that as that's what my boss runs in his. I can get it for like £2.50 a litre. As a C3 spec has to have a HTHS of 3.5 minimum, that should be ok I think.
Hello sir
Thanks for being here and asking……Nobody here is the know all oil guy. We all learn something everyday
Good luck !!👍
Thanks!

Last edited:
Back