Mobil 1 0w-40 vs German castrol 0w-40 vs rotella?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2002 Audi s4 2.7 twin turbo. I'm wondering which oil is going to be the best for me. Mobil 1 and gc both me specs for vw 502, and I've heard so many good thing about rotella t6 5w-40 that in considering it as well. I'm wondering which is best with everyone's experiences in turbo applications. My car is stock. I know the rotella is a tad thicker at cold start but will here really be a difference between 0w and 5w and will it hurt at all? I need opinions please! I've searched a lot about every oil for this car and of course you have people who say one or the other but then you have people that say don't use each of these as well. All of these I have found locally on the shelf so that's not an issue. I don't have a warranty so I don't NEED vw 502 spec. But I figure if they approve its worth trying to get something within spec.

Also most German castrol a I've seen are 0w-30 I have actually found a 0w-40 on the shelf. So that's why I'm comparing to Mobil 1 and rotella.

For a 13 year old Audi 2.7 twin turbo, I would use Mobil 1 0w40. In my experience T6 5w40 will be fine, but its higher NOACK means you will have to top up the oil more frequently.

I'd go with a 0w-40 in NY, not a 5w- due to cold weather, as it would make a small amount of difference in cold flow.

Two great oils. Since you have a turbo, I'd go with Castrol 0w-40 A3/B4, (the 5-quart jugs in Walmart). Castrol has a flash point 10 degC higher than M1. Both have about the same specs like 502, MB229.5, etc, so gotta decide based on something. Also, I like the use of titanium antiWear additives in the Castrol, something M1 doesn't do. At least your decision would be based on some facts. Don't listen to anecdotal differences between the two, use some kind of sound reasoning to choose.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
For a 13 year old Audi 2.7 twin turbo, I would use Mobil 1 0w40. In my experience T6 5w40 will be fine, but its higher NOACK means you will have to top up the oil more frequently.

Any reason for using M1 in a turbo Audi other than "I would use it"?

I have T6 in a 5KW generator. I was able to start it one mourning
when it had cold soaked all night at four degrees with ONE pull. I'd say that's pretty good low temp performance. I use it in two cars, and notice a slight reduction in cranking speed only when it gets well below zero.

If I ended up with a 5w-40 I was going to switch to a 0w-40 for the winter. But thanks for the reply! I've never really paid too much attention with my cars oil manufacturer. I've just out what I thought was pretty good but I haven't had a higher performance car of this level so I definitely want "the best" I can get easily from the store. I could go exotic but then if I need a quart I have to buy another offline. I want something I can get at the store. Now my question is though. My local Walmart and autozone sell 5qt jugs of German castrol 0w-40 but I need almost 7. They both individually sell quarts of 0w-30 German castrol. Could I mix the 5 quarts of regular and 2 of 0w-30?

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Originally Posted By: scurvy

Any reason for using M1 in a turbo Audi other than "I would use it"?

Doesn't he reference Noack...? Seems like he gave a reason to me.

Last edited:
Factory claimed specs for all three oils below. I would go with Mobil 1 just based on this info. Perhaps UOA's from other S4's will tell a different story?

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 No gas certifications
Saps 1.0
Tbn 9.9
Flash 410
Noack 12.8%
Hths 4
VI 170

Castrol Edge 0W-40 ACEA A3/B4, API SN, VW 502/505, LL01, A40, 229.5
Information tough to find since Castrol hasn't published a lot of the official numbers
Saps > 1.0
Tbn > 10
Flash > 392
Noack < 13%
Hths 3.5
VI 169

Mobil 1 0W-40 ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, API SN, VW 502/505, LL01, A40, 229.5
Saps 1.3
Tbn 11.8
Flash 446
Noack 8.9 (via blackstone voa)
Hths 3.8
VI 185

VR6OOM, http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/CE3FF44E27742B4A80257A6F00311A86/$File/BPXE-8XTLDK.pdf
shows better numbers on flash point than M1 0w-40.

Where did you find that? When I go to Castrol.com > Engine oil > Castrol Edge > Product data sheet, that one you linked is not there. There are two sheets that contain the 0w40, which is where I got my info.

Originally Posted By: VR6OOM
Where did you find that? When I go to Castrol.com > Engine oil > Castrol Edge > Product data sheet, that one you linked is not there. There are two sheets that contain the 0w40, which is where I got my info.

I'd like to know that too. Searching "Castrol 0W-40" for United States on Castrol's website brought up a newer PDS. http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...%20US%20PDS.pdf

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Could I mix the 5 quarts of regular and 2 of 0w-30?

You could mix. One poster on bitog works with or for Castrol in Australia and said the two products are practically identical in many ways. I'd even mix it with any Castrol Syntec 5w-30 bottles. Better yet, buy two 5-quart jugs and you'll have leftover top-off oil at a bargain price at Walmart!!

googled the terms: castrol 0w-40 flashpoint
Got This Document Link Clickeeeee Here

Last edited:
Must be either old or buried on that site. Either way, my info was correct. It says (greater than) 392F, which is true lol!

I can't give you specific links to evidence on this forum, but being an avid reader on here, I can tell you Visom isn't viewed kindly by many intelligent and experienced users on here for turbo-charged engines.

Castrol 5w30 almost always is.

But then again....Astro14 runs it in his 2006 Mercedes S600, which is a twin-turbo V12....So, heck, does it really matter. I have no personal opinion. Just relaying info I read on here.

Last edited:

Information tough to find since Castrol hasn't published a lot of the official numbers
Saps > 1.0
Tbn > 10
Flash > 392
Noack < 13%
Hths 3.5
VI 169

This oil's Noack is below 10%.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Saps > 1.0
Tbn > 10
Flash > 392
Noack < 13%
Hths 3.5
VI 169

This oil's Noack is below 10%.

I believe I read it was roughly 9%, which yes, is below 10%. Really good for an easy to find OTC, inexpensive synthetic oil.

Where did you find that?

It's a European PDS. Not sure it's the exact same product as we get here, but quite possible.

I use Mobil 1 0W-40 in my 2000 A6 2.7 and it has worked out very well. I change it out once a year and there is no sludge or varnish at all. Starts in the cold upstate NY winter just fine and I experience low oil consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back