Best 5w-40 and 0w-40?

Did no one read the diesel part?

If you want a stout diesel oil that's readily available try mobil delvac extreme 15w-40 or 5w-40.

The voa for the 15w-40 has 1300 zddp and 1200 phos. Higher than euro grades. Higher hths of 4.1 too.

The 5w-40 is a bit lower at 1100 zddp and 900 phos but that's still fine. Unless it gets to below 0 just use 15w-40.

There is no such thing as Delvac extreme 5w40.

I rather use a higher hths or thicker 0W-30 over a thin or any 0W-40 meeting the same spec and with more vii.

However, 0W-30's are in general more or sometimes much more expensive than 0W-40's ... That's why I settle with a good 10W-30. lol

speaking of the royalty on bitog, M1 FS 0W-40 "Euro" is always cheaper than M1 EP 10W-30 which is one of my favorite oils with no European bells & whistles ... maybe they are trying to lure people in with cheaper 0W-40 prices but it has been like that for a few years. Maybe no one cares about 0W-40 and less demand and that's why it cheaper! Maybe vii are cheaper or maybe it's like EV, and consumers aren't biting yet! :ROFLMAO:

I rather use a higher hths or thicker 0W-30 over a thin or any 0W-40 meeting the same spec and with more vii.

However, 0W-30's are in general more or sometimes much more expensive than 0W-40's ... That's why I settle with a good 10W-30. lol

speaking of the royalty on bitog, M1 FS 0W-40 "Euro" is always cheaper than M1 EP 10W-30 which is one of my favorite oils with no European bells & whistles ... maybe they are trying to lure people in with cheaper 0W-40 prices but it has been like that for a few years. Maybe no one cares about 0W-40 and less demand and that's why it cheaper! Maybe vii are cheaper or maybe it's like EV, and consumers aren't biting yet! :ROFLMAO:

M1 anything is not cheap in Europe, 0W40 or otherwise.

He was planing to run 6k OCI in the other thread. How much do yout think a modern 0W-40 VII will degrade in that time..
WA/Seattle is also warmer then many parts of U.K.

Last edited:
M1 anything is not cheap in Europe, 0W40 or otherwise.

He was planing to run 6k OCI in the other thread. How much do yout think a modern 0W-40 VII will degrade in that time..
WA/Seattle is also warmer then many parts of U.K.

Nice weather graph.
So op's weather is hardly below 35F? Is that right?

I like to use the highest W rating that meets my winter temp requirements. In general I'm not a super fan of high vii oils and/or 0W's. I mean I just don't chase 0W's because it's a cool thing to do. If I need an oil to meet a certain specs that's only provided by a fancy 0W, then I have no issues!

Sounds like 15W as @JavierH19 was recommending might work for him based on the temp graph you have provided. No? assuming it meets his owner's manual other specs.

Your previous thread seeking the best didn't get anywhere:

Better known as Debbie Downer
The man is just asking and trying to learn
With your wealth of knowledge about oil
Just help him out

Hi there all.

Wondering what the best 5w-40 and 0w-40 options are out there on the market in terms of ZDDP levels with the best HTHS ratings, highest base number and general overall best engine protection.

Intended use is for a diesel engine without EGR and without DPF or DEF. Just a catalytic converter in the exhaust.

I've been looking at redlines offerings as they seem to be the highest in anti wear additives.

Anybody suggest anything else?

Many thanks!
Curious what your Owners Manual recommends.... and what vehicle & engine is this for?
Other than that, many here seem to recommend the Mobil-1 ESP for their light diesels.

I'm leery about using the ESP Delvac-1 with your catalytic converter system. But I haven't seen the SDS specs on the Delvac-1, so Trav might be right and it could be safe to run in yours.

Curious what your Owners Manual recommends.... and what vehicle & engine is this for?
Other than that, many here seem to recommend the Mobil-1 ESP for their light diesels.

I'm leery about using the ESP Delvac-1 with your catalytic converter system. But I haven't seen the SDS specs on the Delvac-1, so Trav might be right and it could be safe to run in yours.
The original landrover manual for the 2.7 tdv6 recommends a 5w-30 meeting B1/B3 specifications. But I know these don't exist anymore. So I believe a A3/b3/b4 to be the replacement.

A few people in the landrover community recommend running a 5w-40. So I thought a 0w-40 would be a little better for cold start given the colder climate in the UK most of the time.

I cold start the car twice a day morning and evening driving to and fro from work. She does 15 miles each way before being shut off. I then do a fair bit of towing in the evenings etc dragging broken down cars about. I average 250-300 miles a week. Sometimes more.

Average temperatures in Devon, where I live in the UK range between 5 degrees C to 25 degrees C at this time of year. And quite often drop to 0-5 degrees C in winter. Not massively cold.

The vehicle is a 2009 discovery 3 with the 2.7 ford lion tdv6 in it. 134k miles on it and I tow 3 ton with it probably at least twice a week. Gearbox oil temps are taken care of by an additional cooler mounted behind the grill and I regularly change the oil too.

I've looked into mobil 1 delvac but it appears to be hard to get in the UK. 15w I've been told is a little too thick as the crank bearings in the 2.7 are known to spin.

Just wanted to say, all of this help is greatly appreciated! I can't thank you guys enough!

Hi there all.

Wondering what the best 5w-40 and 0w-40 options are out there on the market in terms of ZDDP levels with the best HTHS ratings, highest base number and general overall best engine protection.

Intended use is for a diesel engine without EGR and without DPF or DEF. Just a catalytic converter in the exhaust.

I've been looking at redlines offerings as they seem to be the highest in anti wear additives.

Many thanks!
i have used valvoline extreme blue 5w40 with success, and price is good

Why the hell so many forum members miss the fact the OP lives in the UK, not in America?
In the UK (like all Europe) oil choice is completely different to NA. No Phillips, no Quaker State, no Shell Rotella, very few Mobil Delvac products in the UK. Many suggestions are not helpful, just because not available in Europe. One of the very few Delvac oils available in the UK:

A few people in the landrover community recommend running a 5w-40. So I thought a 0w-40 would be a little better for cold start given the colder climate in the UK most of the time.

It's not cold in the UK. 5W-30 is recommended and most probably ideal. Feel free using 0W-40 just if you feel better with it, but not a necessity at all.

Average temperatures in Devon, where I live in the UK range between 5 degrees C to 25 degrees C at this time of year. And quite often drop to 0-5 degrees C in winter. Not massively cold.

You got it. :whistle:

I'd consider running M1 ESP 0W-40, coming with reputable approvals:

PORSCHE C40
MB-Approval 229.51
MB-Approval 229.52
GM dexos2
VW 511 00

You're looking for "Best 5w-40 and 0w-40"? As mentioned there's no best.
However there's a tremendously huge range of appropriate and excellent
5W-30, 0W-40 and 5W-40.
"Best?" Look for those with the most of the "most reputable" approvals.
Maybe that comes closest to "best".
That's why I used to use recent years like Ravenol REP 5W-30, RUP 5W-40,
(RCS 5W-40 no approvals, but a high-SAPS version of RUP), M1 ESP 5W-30
and the mentioned M1 ESP X3 0W-40.
On a side note: I fully agree with the benefit of oil coolers and the importance
of oil temps. You should consider limited oil temps as the safeguard for your
engine, much more than "best" oils.

ps:
Very most 5W-30 are thinner compared to very most if not all 0W-40 at
freezing point.

Hi there all.

Many thanks!

With full emissions delete you can run any A3/B4 you want. The performance differences will be found in the length of the OCI. Oils must be formulated to balance protection and deposit prevention. Burning ULSD means you don't benefit as much from older HEDO's which had very high TBN to combat the amount of acids generated by higher levels of sulphur.

Did no one read the diesel part?

If you want a stout diesel oil that's readily available try mobil delvac extreme 15w-40 or 5w-40.

The voa for the 15w-40 has 1300 zddp and 1200 phos. Higher than euro grades. Higher hths of 4.1 too.

The 5w-40 is a bit lower at 1100 zddp and 900 phos but that's still fine. Unless it gets to below 0 just use 15w-40.
JH, do you know why the Mobil Delvac 5w40 and 15w40 do not meet the approval for the Ford Powerstroke 6.7, yet the Mobil Delvac 0w40 is approved for the Powerstroke 6.7?

Last edited:
The original landrover manual for the 2.7 tdv6 recommends a 5w-30 meeting B1/B3 specifications. But I know these don't exist anymore. So I believe a A3/b3/b4 to be the replacement.

I cold start the car twice a day morning and evening driving to and fro from work. She does 15 miles each way before being shut off. I then do a fair bit of towing in the evenings etc dragging broken down cars about. I average 250-300 miles a week. Sometimes more.

The vehicle is a 2009 discovery 3 with the 2.7 ford lion tdv6 in it. 134k miles on it and I tow 3 ton with it probably at least twice a week. Gearbox oil temps are taken care of by an additional cooler mounted behind the grill and I regularly change the oil too.

I've looked into mobil 1 delvac but it appears to be hard to get in the UK. 15w I've been told is a little too thick as the crank bearings in the 2.7 are known to spin.

Just wanted to say, all of this help is greatly appreciated! I can't thank you guys enough!

The 0W would be prudent if you experience temperatures down to minus 30°C and lower. For your climate a 5W will be fine.

JH, do you know why the Mobil Delvac extreme 5w40 and 15w40 do not meet the approval for the Ford Powerstroke 6.7, yet the Mobil Delvac 0w40 is approved for the Powerstroke 6.7?
I just checked and extreme 15w-40 does meet Ford WSS-M2C171-F1, so maybe they updated their PDS. The 5w-40 doesn't but that doesn't matter much. Cheap Delvac 1300 can meet that spec, I doubt the 5w-40 can't because it's inferior.

Op also mention of using it in a 6.7 PDS unless he deleted the emissions equipment. Just a 2.7l Rover Diesel

I just checked and extreme 15w-40 does meet Ford WSS-M2C171-F1, so maybe they updated their PDS. The 5w-40 doesn't but that doesn't matter much. Cheap Delvac 1300 can meet that spec, I doubt the 5w-40 can't because it's inferior.

Op also mention of using it in a 6.7 PDS unless he deleted the emissions equipment. Just a 2.7l Rover Diesel
So I will take it you don't know why the Mobil Delvac 0w40 meets Ford's WSS-M2C171-F1, yet Mobil Delvac ESP 5w40 DOES NOT. And of note, if one goes to Mobil's oil selection site, the site does not offer any recommendations for the Powerstroke 6.7 manufactured after 2017.

Very confusing why the Mobil 0w40 does meet Ford's Wss-M2C171-F1, and the 5w40 doesn't.

Back