Best 5w-40 and 0w-40?

Hi there all.

Wondering what the best 5w-40 and 0w-40 options are out there on the market in terms of ZDDP levels with the best HTHS ratings, highest base number and general overall best engine protection.

Intended use is for a diesel engine without EGR and without DPF or DEF. Just a catalytic converter in the exhaust.

I've been looking at redlines offerings as they seem to be the highest in anti wear additives.

Anybody suggest anything else?

Many thanks!

Your previous thread seeking the best didn't get anywhere:

Your previous thread seeking the best didn't get anywhere:

Nobody replied. Have I done something wrong or does this forum just not help new people?

-Rowe Hitech synth RS 0w40
-Redline 0w40
-Amsoil SS diesel 0w40
-P66 Triton Arctic 0w40
-Ravenol a3/b4 0w40 offerings

All theses above are “heavy” 0w40 with an HTHS of 4.0+. Ravenol may have multiple choices available in Europe that we don’t have here in USA that you should look at.

-Rowe Hitech synth RS 0w40
-Redline 0w40
-Amsoil SS diesel 0w40
-P66 Triton Arctic 0w40
-Ravenol a3/b4 0w40 offerings

All theses above are “heavy” 0w40 with an HTHS of 4.0+. Ravenol may have multiple choices available in Europe that we don’t have here in USA that you should look at.
Thank you! This is very helpful! I shall go and have a look at those!
Motul X-Clean 5W40 GEN2. HTHS 3.9cP.
Much appreciated! Thank you
If there was a BEST oil this forum would not exist.
Talking about brands is totally useless in most cases.

A3/B4 is the "oldest" modern ACEA spec take a look at those oils.
The more I look into the whole brands thing the more I realise it's the data and ingredients behind it that mean more than the brands and their claims. Just looking for the best spec'd oils for max protection! And seeing what people have had good luck with! Thanks!

Thank you! This is very helpful! I shall go and have a look at those!

Much appreciated! Thank you

The more I look into the whole brands thing the more I realise it's the data and ingredients behind it that mean more than the brands and their claims. Just looking for the best spec'd oils for max protection! And seeing what people have had good luck with! Thanks!
What is max protection?
I ran Mobil1 0W40 on track pushing it to 150c oil temperature and ran it for 5k miles OCI. You won't push your car like that. HTHS 3.6cP.

You are correct I probably won't use my car to quite those extremes. Just after something that will give great protection when towing 3.5 ton which I do pretty often with my 2.7 tdv6. Thanks
What is max protection?
I ran Mobil1 0W40 on track pushing it to 150c oil temperature and ran it for 5k miles OCI. You won't push your car like that. HTHS 3.6cP.

You are correct I probably won't use my car to quite those extremes. Just after something that will give great protection when towing 3.5 ton which I do pretty often with my 2.7 tdv6. Thanks
Anything, literally anything that has usual Euro approvals: MB229.5/51/52, BMW LL01 or LL04, Porsche A40/C40.
I personally would go anything Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40, Motul X-Clean/Cess 5W40 GEN2, Shell Helix 5W40.
The key question is oil temperature! However, I would be more concerned with transmission fluid/temperature in your case.

Anything, literally anything that has usual Euro approvals: MB229.5/51/52, BMW LL01 or LL04, Porsche A40/C40.
I personally would go anything Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40, Motul X-Clean/Cess 5W40 GEN2, Shell Helix 5W40.
The key question is oil temperature! However, I would be more concerned with transmission fluid/temperature in your case.
Thank you for this! I will look into all of these and consider which one offers the best price to performance I think as most of them are around 3.5-4 HTHS ratings. Is there much benefit going for whatever one has the higher Zinc and phosphorus contents for the 2.7 tdv6?

Many thanks!

Nobody replied. Have I done something wrong or does this forum just not help new people?
You’re asking a question that is unbounded.

Like posting a thread, “What is the best SUV?”

You clarify a bit in your post, but it is still such a large, nebulous question, that nobody has an answer.

You focus on highest HTHS, and highest ZDDP. Which makes the question worse, because you are not asking about performance, but restricting the definition to two parameters that you have stipulated.

So, now, it’s like asking, “What is the best SUV, that has the biggest wheels?”

Who can answer a question like that?

You don’t tell us in what country you live, so we can‘t even make a recommendation because of the various products in different markets.

Edyvw makes some good sense - there are a lot of good oils.

Thank you for this! I will look into all of these and consider which one offers the best price to performance I think as most of them are around 3.5-4 HTHS ratings. Is there much benefit going for whatever one has the higher Zinc and phosphorus contents for the 2.7 tdv6?

Many thanks!

3.5 HTHS is the very minimum for a diesel. If you are working it hard it would be wise to not use the minimum.

I prefer Zinc and Phosphorus vs. the organic antioxidants and AW formulas. Ford seems to think 1000 ppm minimum of phosphorus is the minimum for their trucks.

Many thanks!
All of these approvals have minimum HTHS of 3.5cP:
MB229.5
MB229.51/52
BMW LL01 and LL04
Porsche C40
Porsche A40
VW504.00/507.00
Porsche C30.

Any oil approved for these approvals will have Zinc 900-1100ppm.
Any Porsche A40/C40 is also track tested oil.

But, again, towing, transmission fluid temperature! What is towing rating on that vehicle?

Did no one read the diesel part?

If you want a stout diesel oil that's readily available try mobil delvac extreme 15w-40 or 5w-40.

The voa for the 15w-40 has 1300 zddp and 1200 phos. Higher than euro grades. Higher hths of 4.1 too.

The 5w-40 is a bit lower at 1100 zddp and 900 phos but that's still fine. Unless it gets to below 0 just use 15w-40.

Back