Older wore out truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1983 Toyota truck 22r with a ton of miles, odometer broke. Smokes a little. Told on another thread on maintenance that I have excess blow by and need valve guide seals. Having said all that, what oil should I use while I save $$$ for rebuild? It may be a while. Thanks.

Given it's age and design (carb'ed), all of these mentioned issues(excessive blowby, worn valve guide/seals, etc.) will exacerbate the oil deterioration further.

If compression check (wet/dry) came back within spec then I wouldn't mind just keep driving it and keep OCI to approx 3000miles. No need to spend extra money on truck this age and just use it as daily/beater until it dies.

My 2c's worth.

Q.

p.s. any 10W40 or so should be fine.

Thanks, I live in hot weather,and drive it 50 to 75 miles a day, over half highway. I never leave home without oil. The dang thing starts and runs like it was built yesterday, just wearing out a little.

Oil consumption could be from leaky valve guide seals or from worn piston rings, or both. If the engine puts out smoke when you pull away after idling, and then the smoke goes away, that usually means the valve guide seal are leaking. If this is the case, you may be able to just replace the seals for a few dollars and drive many more miles. Usually a 22r will go 250K before an overhaul of the engine. Use whatever 10-30 or 10-40 oil is cheapest, check the oil deals elsewhere on this site. Don't bother with additives that purport to reduce oil consumption. For 22R rebuild parts, check the engnbldr.com site. There is a lot of information and they have reasonable prices and good parts. You might talk to Ted at engnbldr about just replacing the valve guide seals.

In the late 90's, a friend of mine had since new, an '80s something 20R or 22R in this faded orange/cracked dash/ripped seats Toyota(tiniest truck I've ever been in)pickup truck. Had 250,000 + miles and it too burned oil weekly. He drove around with a case of what ever 20W50. Never left home without it!

If you like the truck and it runs good do a dry/wet compression test and report back with the numbers. It could just be the valve stem seals are shot, and replacing them can reduce oil use a lot.

I have a daily beater that burns quite a bit of oil. The other day I tries some QS High Mileage and over about a hundred miles it hasn't burned a drop. I think the 5 quart jug was around $14 at Wally's. It's a little more than regular QS but if you don't burn 2-4 quarts per change you come out ahead.

I usually run 10w30, but whatever i have in the garage is sometimes what it gets. Thanks for the responses.

you could try Mobil 10w30 high mileage oil. Then you could try 10w40 High mileage oil.

Originally Posted By: Travis1963
Thanks, I live in hot weather,and drive it 50 to 75 miles a day, over half highway. I never leave home without oil. The dang thing starts and runs like it was built yesterday, just wearing out a little.

You really don't have anything to lose. Buy cases of the cheapest 20-50 you can find, and keep on truckin'. Your habits of highway driving in hot weather is perfect for the 20-50 oil (If you did short stop & go in cold temps, it would be different). This 20-50 strategy helped my old truck for years. I am speaking from experience. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back