Oil pouring out of bell hsg.

I know this is an oil form but this community is full of good experience.
I have a 2006 tahoe with 5.3, looks to have a massive oil leak behind the bell hsg, most likely crankshaft seal, or that plate that holds the seal on this engine.
Location Tampa Fl.
I have oil everywhere. Loosing a quart every 50 miles or so.
Not sure the cost to pull trans to fix it yet. Will call around day after Christmas, If I was younger I would do it myself, not these days. Truck has 235k but engine runs fine no smoke ect, been well maintained.
Thinking of getting a estimate on a new rebuild put in.
Anyone else had this similar issue ?
Any idea cost ?
Thanks

Last edited:
If you have it done, make sure they put a Speedi-Sleeve on the crankshaft seal surface, so the new RMS doesn’t leak. Hopefully they can fix it, not sure what people charge these days, but ~$1000 doesn’t sound excessive.

No clue what the going rate is for repairs.
Independent or dealership

Just throwing this out, due to ignorance....are you sure it's coming from a shaft seal? Where's the oil pressure sending unit on a Gen V? Can it be leaking from there there and running down the back end of the engine block?

Sorry, I still live in the Gen I world where the senders are on top/back of the engine block.

I have a 2006 tahoe with 5.3, looks to have a massive oil leak behind the bell hsg, most likely crankshaft seal, or that plate that holds the seal on this engine.
Location Tampa Fl.
Not sure the cost to pull trans to fix it yet. Will call around day after Christmas, If I was younger I would do it myself, not these days. Truck has 235k but engine runs fine no smoke ect, been well maintained.
Any idea cost ?
Thanks
It’s doubtful the rear crankshaft seal would start leaking that badly all of a sudden. Check oil sending unit etc.

It’s doubtful the rear crankshaft seal would start leaking that badly all of a sudden. Check oil sending unit etc.
I have had a small leak for 2 years. What ever is leaking now is bad. I will check the oil pressure sending unit Tuesday. I replaced it about 10 years ago

I had my RMS replaced on my 2005 5.3 about 3 years ago by a local 2nd generation transmission shop. $750 out the door including the oil pressure sending unit since it’s easy to access with the transmission out. After the fact, the owner said he used a Dorman plate and seal and I was a bit skeptical but so far it’s been dry with no leaks or drips. I’d definitely make sure it isn’t an oil pressure sending unit or valve cover leak before committing to the transmission pull.

I had my RMS replaced on my 2005 5.3 about 3 years ago by a local 2nd generation transmission shop. $750 out the door including the oil pressure sending unit since it’s easy to access with the transmission out. After the fact, the owner said he used a Dorman plate and seal and I was a bit skeptical but so far it’s been dry with no leaks or drips. I’d definitely make sure it isn’t an oil pressure sending unit or valve cover leak before committing to the transmission pull.
I do have what looks like a small valve cover gasket leak. Looked as best I could today but does not look like it's coming from there.
I already have the replacement gasket.
Gona pull the valve cover and replace the gasket Tuesday and will check(feel around back there) the oil sending unit also

There is no such thing. New is new, and rebuilt is rebuilt. Since most all major rebuild places just produce banged around gouged up, screwed up junk, who knows where to get one of those. New would be the better bet and a warranty that would be honored unlike all the horror story's about the warranty's from the major rebuilders.
Rainman ray? Another hammer and chisel youtube mechanic. No thanks. Most of the praise is from unknowing wana be mechanics.

Location Tampa Fl.
Any idea cost ?
Thanks
Before you do anything check the pressure sensor located at the rear of the intake manifold and make sure it’s not leaking down along the bellhousing.
Whoops, that was explained in #4.

Just throwing this out, due to ignorance....are you sure it's coming from a shaft seal? Where's the oil pressure sending unit on a Gen V? Can it be leaking from there there and running down the back end of the engine block?

Sorry, I still live in the Gen I world where the senders are on top/back of the engine block.
They still are and this can still be.

Hard to tell with pic
Could be valv cover or being slung up from under bell hsg.
Does not look like sending unit leaking.
guess could be crankshaft sensor also
20231225_102155.jpg

Last edited:
If it's motor oil, there's nothing there but thr rear engine seal. Tranny fluid, probably the front pump. If you are lucky, it might be a transmission cooler line being next to the bell housing.

Yep looked over it found my coolant leak from hose going to heater core.
Believe it's my rear main seal or that cover

Back