'16 F150 5.0 First Time Oil Consumption

I'll take input from anyone with knowledge on this, but have been reading through lots of PI sheets and I'm curious if you all might agree that Mobil 1 has a typo on the KV@100 for their FS 0W40 and really meant 12.8?
For comparison I will list some 40's I've looked at:

Mobil 1 FS 0W40 KV@100 13.8
Mobil 1 FS 5W40 KV@100 13.2
QS 5W40 Euro KV@100 13.3
Edge 0W40 PA KV@100 13.2
Edge 5W40 A3/B4 KV@100 13.4

Side note: did call Mobil 1 and spoke with a nice gentleman who is looking into it and said he will e-mail me what he finds out.
QS E 5w40 is 14.0 just looked it up when doing a change on my Expedition. The others are that low. If you want a robust 5w30 PP Euro L 5w30 has a cst of 12.5-12.9 depending on where you read things.

Reactions: wlk
Since you refilled with 2 new quarts I don't know how much a UOA would tell you much.

I would change it and monitor the level. If you didn't have this much burn before then something is different with this OCI.

Since you refilled with 2 new quarts I don't know how much a UOA would tell you much.

I would change it and monitor the level. If you didn't have this much burn before then something is different with this OCI.
I just wrapped up the change now.
I do have a theory on how the 2 quarts was lost, but it's not an engine issue. Believe it was my fault. Going to some investigating on what I think may have happened.

Not sure if it's been updated recently then, but this PI sheet lists is at 13.3
Maybe it is maybe I am thinking about another one. I just changed my oil and my Expedition and use 5 quarts of Total Quartz 9000 which has a CST of 14.7 and I looked up the Quaker State Euro 5w40. I could have swore I found it at 14.0 but all I can find is the 13.3 maybe that's the new one and the 14.0 is old one, who knows

Trying to find it as it is bother me but I ran across QS All mileage 10w40. If you want a real thicky run it CST is 15.7

7.6-8k mile OCIs aren't plans for long term ownership.

You already have oil consumption and want to extend the UOA? and the PCV was gunked up?

You are going the wrong way with OCIs. If you want long term ownership, you should shorten the OCI's to 5k and skip UOA data, which for many is a false sense of security.

I'd start running the higher hths 30 grades and even the 0w40's.
I completely agree. Piston ring deposits are a main cause of oil consumption and later engine overhaul. So it's imperative to keep the piston rings clean. UOA's can't measure the sludge/varnish/piston ring deposits being left behind by extended oil change intervals, so they are not useful for deciding if it's safe to extend oil change intervals.

The piston rings may be getting dirty and stuck from your long oil change interval.
If it were my truck, I would do a few engine flushes using BG EPR engine cleaner (on Amazon for $11 a can if you buy 4 cans as a group). Then, I would perpetually stick with short oil change intervals of 4k miles / 6 months (which ever comes first) and use a full synthetic oil with the Dexos 1 Gen 3 approval. Using oils that have this approval reduce the chance of sludge / varnish deposits forming.

I use Amsoil in both vehicles. The Honda I follow the olm 15% 4500-6500 and the Tacoma 6 months and averages 5000-7000 miles. I routinely check both engines for any consumption and so far none. I’d give HPL a try.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 5.0 as well. I started burning just a little bit, so I switched to 5W-30 and all good now.

My fiancé has a 2017 F150 with the 5.0 and 50,000 miles and it doesn't use a drop of oil. I do 5,000 mile oil changes with Motorcraft 5W-20 blend. Hopefully it stays that way. My 2014 Mustang GT uses the same oil and intervals and doesn't use any oil either but it only has 35,000 miles on it.

Back