How much should a rear brake and rotor job be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have skipped the Royal Purple and got matching wheels for the truck from the wreckers.......

You put your priorities in a seriously wrong order.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I would have skipped the Royal Purple and got matching wheels for the truck from the wreckers.......

You put your priorities in a seriously wrong order.

Ok. But I changed the oil about 3 months ago. This wheel incident happened last week!

*FWIW: Oil was said to not have been changed in "years."
eek.gif

I also changed it with a Royal Purple oil filter, too. Both bought from Amazon.com ... I used my hand, since I could not get my oil filter wrench tool on it. I did it myself. Purrs real nice now.

Considering a short OCI, due to lack of changes..

^^ so, let me clarify: I did NOT "go out and change the oil" over the past week or so.. after this wheel/tire thing. I did that sometime in September or so.

The oil is probably good for another 2k or 3k. Perhaps I should simply top off, perhaps change filter.. put 20% MMO in, too. (Slow and gradual. And yes, with RP.)

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
That truck also needs to have Amsoil or Royal Purple in the tranny, transfer case and differencial. That would be next on my list.

"Need"? Really? I'm all for catching up on fluid maintenance, but there's no "need" for Amsoil or RP brands in his unremarkable non-arctic domestic non-high-performance vehicle. Any properly spec'ed brand name fluids will do. Change them more often if things are gunked up, you'll need to do that with any brand.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
That truck also needs to have Amsoil or Royal Purple in the tranny, transfer case and differencial. That would be next on my list.

"Need"? Really? I'm all for catching up on fluid maintenance, but there's no "need" for Amsoil or RP brands in his unremarkable non-arctic domestic non-high-performance vehicle.

Pretty sure KrisZ was just being sarcastic, given the content of this thread.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: HangFire

"Need"? Really? I'm all for catching up on fluid maintenance, but there's no "need" for Amsoil or RP brands in his unremarkable non-arctic domestic non-high-performance vehicle.

Pretty sure KrisZ was just being sarcastic, given the content of this thread.

Oh. Sorry. My credulity meter maxed out a while ago and I'm having trouble identifying sarcasm. I'll be back after I recalibrate.

I think someone is letting air out of our tires.

ad9dea105681e712962815a6576f54f7.jpg

Blizzards, and flat tires. Hmmm..

At Dunkin Donuts now, awaiting the shop to open. I let the job know what happened, and why I will be a little bit late.

This is getting a bit ridiculous, isn't it.

Will shop for matching wheels, and tires.. then I will have a SPARE. Also. The TOOL, and JACK ...

WAITING ON:

96b56c19e58d4a97804523b3fb63fa7d.jpg

..TO OPEN.

And I mouth off to bums. I don't care..........

If your rims have burrs like they appear to, your bead seating surfaces won't seal, and you'll get flats.

I'd get hooked up on a rim plus tire, both matched, and previously not run by yourself. See if the "brothers" can hook you up.

I found the ad for the 4 wheels and tires. I could spend less if I found the wheels that match the drivers side of the truck. http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/4786495537.html

I really, really... really need to get at least a jack and tool to take off the lugs. Then practice using it. I had the same kind of experience in the S-10 Blazer when changing tires: The trucks are so high off the ground that you need some kind of HUGE jack to change. Especially since my Blazer has the 31x10.5R15LT tires on it..

Why don't you read your owner's manual? My F150 came with a little bottle jack that fit under the axle. It beats lifting the frame and having the suspension unload itself.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Why don't you read your owner's manual? My F150 came with a little bottle jack that fit under the axle. It beats lifting the frame and having the suspension unload itself.

You know its all been stolen and otherwise removed from this truck, right? The Owner's Manual has, too.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

You know its all been stolen and otherwise removed from this truck, right? The Owner's Manual has, too.

Some owner's manuals came be downloaded off the internet. Not quite as good as a "real" hard copy but better than nothing. Other option is ebay - sometimes quite inexpensive.

I found the ad for the 4 wheels and tires. I could spend less if I found the wheels that match the drivers side of the truck. http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/4786495537.html

I really, really... really need to get at least a jack and tool to take off the lugs. Then practice using it. I had the same kind of experience in the S-10 Blazer when changing tires: The trucks are so high off the ground that you need some kind of HUGE jack to change. Especially since my Blazer has the 31x10.5R15LT tires on it..

Those are almost 8 year old tires. Look for something newer.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

Some owner's manuals came be downloaded off the internet. Not quite as good as a "real" hard copy but better than nothing. Other option is ebay - sometimes quite inexpensive.

I wasn't saying that I couldn't get another OM if I wanted, I was saying I don't have one lol.

BITOG makes owners manuals obsolete. Particularly with oil grade "recommendations" by the manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: silverrat

Those are almost 8 year old tires. Look for something newer.

Agreed.
thumbsup2.gif

I took this unfortunate and unplanned "oopportunity" to get better pics of the caliper area. The brake pedal has been firming up. Tookna long time to do so, but is almost back to normal!

b797c74ed668c58c9cd32314be7039ec.jpg

a971ad8e2cc0ac29c631a8b4ee1002e9.jpg

0989d53d08b1665ad0f2d71a0f20c733.jpg

Drove 1 mile, not 25+ this time.

cf6713d3c3ceb68b2e88e10d924e1de8.jpg

a40caf9f55ff837df84168107c11b15e.jpg

What's your car insurance company (if you have it)? Roadside assistance is like $0.75 a month. Yes, 75 cents. At least it was when I had Farmers Insurance and now State Farm. My grandmother's Geico has it for like $1.25 a month. They'll pay for up to $100 of towing, change a tire, provide lockout assistance, bring you 2 gallons of gas if you run out, and jump start a battery.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
What's your car insurance company (if you have it)? Roadside assistance is like $0.75 a month. Yes, 75 cents. At least it was when I had Farmers Insurance and now State Farm. My grandmother's Geico has it for like $1.25 a month. They'll pay for up to $100 of towing, change a tire, provide lockout assistance, bring you 2 gallons of gas if you run out, and jump start a battery.

That's how I KNOW you don't live in NJ!!!!

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
INEXPENSIVE INSURANCE! NEW JERSEY! -NEWARK!!- CAR THEFT CAPITAL OF THE FREE WORLD!!!!

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

lol.gif
Wait until I get paid from Amazon, man. I am PERSONALLY gonna buy you a JetBlue ticket, man. We going to Six Flags. In Jackson, NJ. In the Honda. Fly in to Newark EWR. I'll show you a good time...
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back