Inspecting old brake pads/rotors to find a problem..

Could be hose, as stated, or more likely the caliper. Take for a ten minute drive at speed, the problem one will be warm.

Of course, it could always be out back. Don’t fixate on what you touched last, it might be something unrelated.
I took my infrared thermometer gun with me and after a 20 min drive I pulled into a gas station. I checked the temp on both front wheels and the right was 215° and the left was 210°. They both seem normal

I had a 98 Camry that I finally sold when it had 200,000 miles on it. It still had the original rotors in great shape with only the second set of pads. Original pads lasted about 130,000 miles. It was my wife's car so the breaks were not babied. From a reliability stand point it was the best car I have ever owned. In that 200,000 miles the only thing I did to it other than routine maintenance was replace the rear sway bar links at 100,000 miles and the thermostat at 160,000 miles. That vintage of Camry were built like tanks. Didn't burn or leak a drop of oil, transmission shifted as smooth as the day I got it and had no rust on the body when I sold it.
Was her’s a 4 cyl or V6? I have the V6 and it’s been great so far. I’m still chasing a small clunk when shifting into gears from P to D and P to R. All of the mounts have been changed with OEM Toyota mounts too.

I wanted to buy a new car (gas saver) but over the course of maybe 8 months that I took my time researching, I came to learn that the 92-01 Camry’s were the pinnacle of Camry especially with the 1MZ-FE engine. Great car!

Could be hose, as stated, or more likely the caliper. Take for a ten minute drive at speed, the problem one will be warm.

Of course, it could always be out back. Don’t fixate on what you touched last, it might be something unrelated.
Great advice, thank you

Was her’s a 4 cyl or V6? I have the V6 and it’s been great so far. I’m still chasing a small clunk when shifting into gears from P to D and P to R. All of the mounts have been changed with OEM Toyota mounts too.

I wanted to buy a new car (gas saver) but over the course of maybe 8 months that I took my time researching, I came to learn that the 92-01 Camry’s were the pinnacle of Camry especially with the 1MZ-FE engine. Great car!
It was a 4cyl. Averaged around 28 mpg and had plenty of power for what we used it for. I did all the maintenance on it myself. Oil changes between 3,000 and 4,000 miles with the cheapest synthetic I could find and OCD filters. Tranny fluid/filter every 40,000 miles. I loved that car and wish I would have kept it till it died. Probably would still be on the road today.

So I took the brakes apart again this morning and double checked my work. Cleaned the caliper bracket bolt bores and applied fresh Sil-Glide again. The only thing I found that wasn’t right were some specks of tiny Sil-Glide I didn’t clean off completely on the rotor. Cleaned that up and torqued everything down and feels a little better now. I took my infrared thermometer with me and after I parked I checked the front brakes. Front driver was 152° and the front passenger was 165°. I don’t know if there’s an issue there with the difference in temperature or if it’s caused by more left hand turns I had to make when entering my street.

I will do a brake flush when my rear rotors come in on Friday.

Yes you’re right.. What sucks is that they have a high spot of sort or at least that’s what I feel by hand, and they make a scratching type noise reminiscent of a bent dust shield rubbing against the rotor, which I confirmed was not the case.

So I took the brakes apart again this morning and double checked my work. Cleaned the caliper bracket bolt bores and applied fresh Sil-Glide again. The only thing I found that wasn’t right were some specks of tiny Sil-Glide I didn’t clean off completely on the rotor. Cleaned that up and torqued everything down and feels a little better now. I took my infrared thermometer with me and after I parked I checked the front brakes. Front driver was 152° and the front passenger was 165°. I don’t know if there’s an issue there with the difference in temperature or if it’s caused by more left hand turns I had to make when entering my street.
It may surprise you and work itself out after a few short start and stop drives. If not I would bet on a caliper piston.

It may surprise you and work itself out after a few short start and stop drives. If not I would bet on a caliper piston.
That’s what I’m beginning to wonder too, Sammy.. I’m getting a little annoyed with this car LOL. I’ve literally repaired everything that the PO neglected on this car. I can tell that the attitude was “ehh it’s a Toyota it’ll live..” I say that because the lack of small repairs needed that accumulated over time was just plain stupid… Valve cover gasket leaks, thermostat stuck open, power steering lines leaking, CV boots leaking, out of round tires, and just a few more smaller items that needed attention.. I’m sure I have ADHD because I get really curious when cars make a noise out of the norm.

One thing I didn’t mention was that on left turns I felt a rubbing sound (speed dependent) at lower speeds under my feet. When I got out I noticed that the passenger side hubcap wasn’t fully seated and sticking out a bit… silly me. I’m hanging up my boots for the day on this car lol

That’s what I’m beginning to wonder too, Sammy.. I’m getting a little annoyed with this car LOL. I’ve literally repaired everything that the PO neglected on this car. I can tell that the attitude was “ehh it’s a Toyota it’ll live..” I say that because the lack of small repairs needed that accumulated over time was just plain stupid… Valve cover gasket leaks, thermostat stuck open, power steering lines leaking, CV boots leaking, out of round tires, and just a few more smaller items that needed attention.. I’m sure I have ADHD because I get really curious when cars make a noise out of the norm.

One thing I didn’t mention was that on left turns I felt a rubbing sound (speed dependent) at lower speeds under my feet. When I got out I noticed that the passenger side hubcap wasn’t fully seated and sticking out a bit… silly me. I’m hanging up my boots for the day on this car lol
I am confident it is a minor problem you Will solve sooner than later. I can tell you one thing from years dealing with cars from the 50s thru present day. Sounds will drive you up the wall trying to discover where they come from. At least we all can enjoy the vast greater quality control of today's cars over those of just back in the not too distant 90s / early 2000s. The 1980s! OMG those cars + trucks provided me with lots of work (on the side) repairing folks power windows. Again- good luck. You can whip that car into shape!

Back