Using OEM Parts on 9 year old vehicle 223k miles...

Definitely getting harder. Rock Auto has everything - but there customer service doesn't exist. I order a couple things at a time so I can't get hosed too much of it goes South.

Napa Online has a lot more brands than the store. PartsGeek.com but there interface / search isn't very good. Amazon has a lot of stuff as well, but again your taking a risk - depends on what it is. There are good about taking things back however.
I see. Yeah my brakes always squeak bad until they're worn out, then I forget until it makes a metal in metal grinding sound

I learned the hard way: OEM is the only way to go unless you’re modding with high quality parts.
I agree, but the dealer doesn't make it easy. They don't do orders over the phone, so you have to drive down there for a part they most likely don't have in stock even something simple as brake pads, so you have to drive back up there 3 or 4 days later. One time I didn't pick it up for like 3 days and they sent the part back to the warehouse. Pretty sure it had been paid for too. I was so pissed, they ups it to my house the next day lol.

Where do you find name brand brands? All the auto parts stores ever have is Wagner thermo quiets, then whatever house brand name they have.
I pretty much only shop on Rock Auto.

Auto Parts stores are a complete ripoff. I did brakes on my previous 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I just priced out the parts on Rock Auto vs. O'Reilly's. $250 vs. $651.

2EC9364C-4CF5-4B2A-A4F9-0161548F502B.jpeg
09A4AA1C-D5FD-46E2-91E1-A2840AFCAE88.jpeg
3249CCFC-E4F6-4F2F-B83E-C6797C4F6599.jpeg

Last edited:
I pretty much only shop on Rock Auto.

Auto Parts stores are a complete ripoff. I did brakes on my previous 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I just priced out the parts on Rock Auto vs. O'Reilly's. $250 vs. $651.

View attachment 192645View attachment 192646View attachment 192647
and with the way people are getting damaged goods or previously used parts from Rock Auto.. doesn't look like the savings is really worth it.. I'm not saying to go to Oreilly but there are many other competitors to Rockauto and customers aren't getting used parts.. There's a thread already posted about this..

and with the way people are getting damaged goods or previously used parts from Rock Auto.. doesn't look like the savings is really worth it.. I'm not saying to go to Oreilly but there are many other competitors to Rockauto and customers aren't getting used parts.. There's a thread already posted about this..
I just checked my Rock Auto account, and I've placed 42 orders with them totaling $5,335. Zero complaints.

I have yet to have a problem also. I'm sure something will happen eventually as I've ordered a lot of times from them.

First question is how long do you expect to keep the vehicle. Then I think it depends upon the part. If it takes many hours of labor to install the part then probably going to use OEM. But brakes, probably not. Especially since Akebono pads are available for most vehicles. Wagner E-coated rotors are available for many vehicles. Good aftermarket calipers also available from companies like Raybestos.

whats the consensus on 3rd gen rx forums? Usually for toyota its either brembo blanks and a set of akebono/advics, but the brembos dont come coated.

I would typically recommend raybestos eh3s, but recently was let down on the quality.
In my opinion, based on my experience- Akebono will ruin rotors. Leave uneven pad deposits that cause pulsation. Fade, too. But YMMV

I have bought aftermarket pads and rotors for almost 2 decades with very little issues. Its all about process. That said, with the recent toyota/lexus OEM sales, there is no excuse to not buy OEM for a Lexus. Who puts junk parts on a Lexus anyway? :)

I have bought aftermarket pads and rotors for almost 2 decades with very little issues. Its all about process. That said, with the recent toyota/lexus OEM sales, there is no excuse to not buy OEM for a Lexus. Who puts junk parts on a Lexus anyway? :)
Brakes are the one thing I don't buy OEM. Lots of good quality aftermarket options. It's things that could leave me stranded that I try to buy OEM. I've gotten lucky a few times with OEM GM parts from Amazon (my intermediate steering shaft) and other parts through rock auto. It doesn't have to be OEM, I just don't want to buy junk. If I have to buy knock sensors, throttle body or maf sensor, I'm going to try to get OEM.

First question is how long do you expect to keep the vehicle. Then I think it depends upon the part. If it takes many hours of labor to install the part then probably going to use OEM. But brakes, probably not. Especially since Akebono pads are available for most vehicles. Wagner E-coated rotors are available for many vehicles. Good aftermarket calipers also available from companies like Raybestos.

I don't plan on getting rid of it. It runs like new, looks great inside and out and has zero mechanical, get from A to B issues. The repairs needed on it are:

1. Rear Hatch motor needs to be replaced ($350 part)
2. Rear washer pump needs to be replaced / connector checked (I should have done that Saturday while the RF wheel was off)
3. Sunroof doesn't work, I don't care. It does "kinda" work, but I have pulled the fuse to keep anyone from pushing the button and it hanging open.

Oil gets changed every 5-6k miles. I use a Toyota OEM filter and crush washer. It's due for a Transmission fluid drain and fill. I put a set of 70k mile Michelin tires on it 20k miles ago, new OEM rear pads and rotors about 10k miles ago. I have a set of OEM struts and shocks laying in the garage floor. I plan on getting them swapped out in the next two weeks. Plugs are due in 40k more miles. I'll do that, radiator drain and fill, throttle body cleaning, PCV valve.

This string will probably morph into a China Banging exercise, but on my 16 year old 3/4 ton Suburban I am using AC Delco “ Professional” and “Gold” parts typically made in China with GM quality control. The Burb was assembled at the Silao plant in Mexico.

F59314BB-FF17-4F8D-9055-EDF3D2A87716.jpg

Last edited:
Back