How much for a new Tacoma?

Kinda thinking of getting out of my jeep and into a little truck. The jeep is great for playing but not very useful in town. Can't carry anything in it etc.

Plus I don't think we need two 4 wheel drive SUVs. I do need a 4x4 regardless.

Looking on Toyota's site I "built" my Tacoma and it came to $31k. But the local dealer wants $44k for it. They have a $7500 markup above window sticker and they tack on all kinds of stuff I don't want like window etching and other wallet flushes and they won't drop the price .

Is this normal now? No haggling?

That seems to be a part of the Toyota experience.
That's why everytime I tried to buy a Toyota, I generally came home with a Honda.
I'd recommend doing a nationwide search on Cars.com and other related sites, see what you can purchase the same truck for elsewhere, utilize e-mail, and contemplate a road trip.
The last car we purchased, a 3 hour drive each way saved us $4200.

There is only 3 available right now and out of my price range. I was really hoping for the 4 cyl and a manual but they apparently don't offer a manual any more?

You can get a Tacoma with a manual, but only with a V6 and 4WD. And I don't know if that includes every trim. I'm looking at the EPA MPG info for that.

I agree with looking nationwide. Toyota has regional distributors that exist to fulfill a contractual need from Toyota's early days, and now exist solely as money-bleeding leeches.

Only caveat is if they make a 46-state model that would be harder to bring into California. They say the Northeast Toyota distributor is one of the more reasonable ones, so maybe look in Taxachusetts as they also have CA emissions.

Sometimes you can find a buyers agent whose job it is to find the car and do the professional negotiation. My insurance has it as a free service - maybe they have some leverage that the regular buyer doesn’t?

Kinda thinking of getting out of my jeep and into a little truck. The jeep is great for playing but not very useful in town. Can't carry anything in it etc.

Plus I don't think we need two 4 wheel drive SUVs. I do need a 4x4 regardless.

Looking on Toyota's site I "built" my Tacoma and it came to $31k. But the local dealer wants $44k for it. They have a $7500 markup above window sticker and they tack on all kinds of stuff I don't want like window etching and other wallet flushes and they won't drop the price .

Is this normal now? No haggling?
Tacomas command a premium so the dealer is in control. Have you researched how uncomfortable the seats are for tall people? Have you discovered how poor the v6 auto transmission programming is and it constantly hunts for gears? This can be somewhat fixed with an aftermarket tune.

But the local dealer wants
Get it from a different dealer. Nowadays, people buy vehicles sight-unseen by phone/email/websites. I mean, you can look at local dealers to see what you like but then buy it from whoever will give you the best deal. Many will deliver it to your house !

I "built" my Tacoma and it came to $31k
The model you "built" with everything you picked just happened to be available at your local dealer ? Toyota's website shows (2) available at Valley Hi Toyota for either $28k or $31k. The dealer's own website shows the same thing

I would believe you won't find a low level trim Toyota anymore. Toyota like a lot of car companies are just not building the stripped down trims anymore - given they can sell everything they build - might as well build higher trims.

As for the market adjustment - try out of state as mentioned.

2024 will be either 4 cylinder turbo, or 4 cylinder turbo hybrid, do depending on you preferences wait, or buy soon.

Reactions: JTK
Back