New family truckster

:rolleyes:

Yes, because I've always been super serious...

The OP can do whatever he wants. It DID seem he made it pretty clear what his wife's intentions were. So the apparent attempts to change his mind seemed amusing to me.
I was actually sniffing one of my own farts when I read that :ROFLMAO:

:rolleyes:

Yes, because I've always been super serious...

The OP can do whatever he wants. It DID seem he made it pretty clear what his wife's intentions were. So the apparent attempts to change his mind seemed amusing to me.
If you think I was being serious in trying to sway him into buying a 15 year old passenger van converted to 4wd as his wife’s daily driver, then I have an even better suggestion
IMG_4907.jpeg

If you think I was being serious in trying to sway him into buying a 15 year old passenger van converted to 4wd as his wife’s daily driver, then I have an even better suggestion
View attachment 183779

Hey buddy, I don't know you at all. From your ahem 'reply', I figured you were probably sincere, much like @CKN and his longstanding disdain for the 4Runner.

Now run along and sniff your own farts...

The 4Runner is not a family vehcile. Narrow rear door opening-smallish back seat. You need to look at something bigger-and with a chasis newer than 20 years old.

Look at the sale numbers of the 4Runner-then the Chevrolet Traverse and get back to me. How often are you going to be blazing trails?

I have been all over that area-mini vans use those roads. This is about what you want-not what a good family hauler the 4Runner is-because it isn't.
As state above by at least two others - with a little objectivity-it will be tight from the get - go.
yea real smart . buy a chevy traverse over a uber reliable long lasting toyota 4 runner-real smart

yea real smart . buy a chevy traverse over a uber reliable long lasting toyota 4 runner-real smart
For ease of getting small kids in and out? Yes. Everything is long lasting now if you want it to be. A 4 Runner isn't the golden goose people make it out to be but it has its strengths and weaknesses like any vehicle.

youngest is 6, we're not talking a rear-facing car seat here. Just a booster on one of the outboard seats. I concede the kids may get a little grumpy on a longer road trip, especially as they get bigger. But hey, learning to deal is part of growing up. We'll have fun and they'll remember it for the rest of their lives.

When I was a kid, we did a lot of trips in a 65 GTO and in the back of an 82 C20, under a canopy. My brother and I don't look back on our youth and complain about the lack of air conditioning, the hot vinyl seats in the GTO, or getting slobbered on by the dog in the back of the truck. We talk about all the crazy fun times we had going all over the place, camping, to the beach, blasting Def Leppard and occasionally convincing my father to "peel wheels" when no one was looking.

If a Pilot or Traverse or Sienna is your bag, that's fine by me ... some people just love comfort more than adventure. We've got other ideas in mind and places to go where those vehicles don't really make sense. So we'll put up with the complaining in order to give the kids the chance to get out there and experience the wilderness, the feeling of watching the sun rise over north Idaho knowing no one else is within miles of your campsite is worth every bit of inconvenience, in my opinion.

We may hear about the tight seating quarters some over the next few years. But 20 years from now, I can absolutely guarantee you the kids won't be talking about cramped seats in the 4Runner, they'll be looking back fondly at all those trips sleeping in a tent, hearing the wolves howl and the wind blow, watching the sunrise and sunset, seeing storms roll in over the horizon, etc.

Oh, and I've still got that GTO and it still doesn't have air conditioning. So they'll also be getting familiar with those hot vinyl seats I was talking about ...

So this was a rhetorical question? Seems the OP was stone set on the choice when the post was made.

Reactions: CKN
If it will be your wife's daily driver (and even if it wasn't) I'd stay away from those E-rated tires. Even at lower pressures they will destroy what ride the 4runner offers. I know you have a fear of a possible flat tire but your everyday ride will be not good.

youngest is 6, we're not talking a rear-facing car seat here. Just a booster on one of the outboard seats. I concede the kids may get a little grumpy on a longer road trip, especially as they get bigger. But hey, learning to deal is part of growing up. We'll have fun and they'll remember it for the rest of their lives.

When I was a kid, we did a lot of trips in a 65 GTO and in the back of an 82 C20, under a canopy. My brother and I don't look back on our youth and complain about the lack of air conditioning, the hot vinyl seats in the GTO, or getting slobbered on by the dog in the back of the truck. We talk about all the crazy fun times we had going all over the place, camping, to the beach, blasting Def Leppard and occasionally convincing my father to "peel wheels" when no one was looking.

If a Pilot or Traverse or Sienna is your bag, that's fine by me ... some people just love comfort more than adventure. We've got other ideas in mind and places to go where those vehicles don't really make sense. So we'll put up with the complaining in order to give the kids the chance to get out there and experience the wilderness, the feeling of watching the sun rise over north Idaho knowing no one else is within miles of your campsite is worth every bit of inconvenience, in my opinion.

We may hear about the tight seating quarters some over the next few years. But 20 years from now, I can absolutely guarantee you the kids won't be talking about cramped seats in the 4Runner, they'll be looking back fondly at all those trips sleeping in a tent, hearing the wolves howl and the wind blow, watching the sunrise and sunset, seeing storms roll in over the horizon, etc.

Oh, and I've still got that GTO and it still doesn't have air conditioning. So they'll also be getting familiar with those hot vinyl seats I was talking about ...
I like it, that's what the original SUV's were designed to do. Now most are just cramped AWD minivans trying not to look like minivans... Also your kids will be wanting to borrow the 4runner for their own adventures soon enough.

Back