New family truckster

I agree with some of the above statements. We wanted to like the 4 runner for a family vehicle. It’s very short and small inside. I don’t understand where they get their volume numbers from. Cargo capacity feels so much smaller than it’s rated at. Seating was way too small for us as a family of 4 plus a 45 lb dog. I’d like it for my personal car that the family is barely in (if I wasn’t worried about fuel) but not as the primary family hauler.

Cheezwiz, have you driven a 4Runner? A lot of people, myself included don't like the seating position of 4Runners and Tacomas- very sedan like. I like a truck to sit like a truck... lots of separation between the seat bottom and floor and feet more down that out. If you like the driving position disregard.
OK. Point taken. Please take my point it's not the right size for two kids, a large dog and everyone's luggage.
Pretty sure he said family of 5 + dog + stuff but who's counting? It sounds like they like the 4Runner in spite of it's shortcomings for the mission and are willing to put up with some discomfort. Get what you like/want and enjoy it! (y)

Reactions: CKN
CX-50?

mazda-cx-50-07-zircon-sand-1637042935.jpg

Cheezwiz, have you driven a 4Runner? A lot of people, myself included don't like the seating position of 4Runners and Tacomas- very sedan like. I like a truck to sit like a truck... lots of separation between the seat bottom and floor and feet more down that out. If you like the driving position disregard.

Pretty sure he said family of 5 + dog + stuff but who's counting? It sounds like they like the 4Runner in spite of it's shortcomings for the mission and are willing to put up with some discomfort. Get what you like/want and enjoy it! (y)
It'll be the wife's ride ... she loves it. I don't really care either way ... I like my 2500HD and my TJ!!!

If we do a week-long road trip we'll take the truck, the size will be fine. I am sure we will wind up with some kind of trailer for dirt bikes and a tent, so luggage isn't a huge concern either.

Not the same off road prowess and reputation. '23 Pilot Trailsport. Comes with rated recovery points front and rear, factory steel skid plates. The AWD system with Sand and Mud works very well and uses clutches in the rear differential. Watch the videos on it. At least worth a drive.
TFL Trailsport

Texas Truck

I've spent (a little, not much) time in a current gen 4Runner and it's NOT spacious inside at all. They feel cramped IMO. Not sure how you're going to like it.

I'm seriously thinking the published interior volume of the 4 runner was measured with all the seats removed. To me they seem much smaller inside than they look.

When my parents only had 2 kids (me and sister) we would go on road trips in a Jetta. Once there was 3 kids (one in a car seat) we moved up to a 4runner sized suv. At 5 kids we moved to a suburban. So you can fit 6 people in a small SUV just fine, if you don't mind the complaining.

When my parents only had 2 kids (me and sister) we would go on road trips in a Jetta. Once there was 3 kids (one in a car seat) we moved up to a 4runner sized suv. At 5 kids we moved to a suburban. So you can fit 6 people in a small SUV just fine, if you don't mind the complaining.
i love the sound of kids complaining. that's why i had them!!!

Nothing in those pics a Highlander couldn't do. Maybe change the tires first.(y)
ya know i have always found that pics never do those type of roads justice ... i def want LT tires, prob E rated. Getting a flat back there is just misery.

It'll be the wife's ride ... she loves it. I don't really care either way ... I like my 2500HD and my TJ!!!

If we do a week-long road trip we'll take the truck, the size will be fine. I am sure we will wind up with some kind of trailer for dirt bikes and a tent, so luggage isn't a huge concern either.

Post pics when she gets her new 4Runner.

It's amazing how the OP back peddled when reality set in.Trailer, tent, luggage isn't a concern, etc.

My wife and I bought our ‘22 TRD off road premium last year and are very happy with it. Old simple tech. Ours has the KDSS suspension. Nice driving compared to one without it, but I have no idea how issue free it’ll be. Supposedly it’s been around a while and used on the Lexus platforms so we’ll see. I originally wanted to do a leveling kit on the front to make it have more of a TRD Pro stance, but with the KDSS I’ll pass.

My biggest gripe with it is the trailer light plug. Pretty petty, but annoying nonetheless.

I am not too familiar with the models that have the 3rd row seats. Is it just the limited edition?

The 4R is rated to tow 5k and does it quite well IMO.
I guess that's a matter of opinion. When we bought our first travel trailer-it was a Shamrock 21RS. Well within the specs and with the 109.8" wheelbase our 4Runner had it was defiantly "the tail wagging the dog". It was an unstable rig for sure. Traded the 4Runner in for a Silverado.

Don't misunderstand-the 4Runner is a reliable SUV -but this thread is trying to make it in to something on pare with a GM body on frame SUV-and that's it's definitely not! IT doesn't have anywhere near the capabilities nor is the inside anywhere near as comfortable.

Back