2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe long term rental

So I rent about 90-120 days a year for work in any given year, and typically I either get German sedans (Audi, BMW) or large American SUVs (Expedition, Suburban, Grand Wagoneer, Explorer) depending on how far I’m traveling and what gear I have to take with me. Well, last week I got to the lot a little late so it was pretty well picked clean. They had a bunch of Nissan Rogues and Jeep Grand Cherokees.

Well, they did not mention all the Jeeps were 4xe models. Right off the bat, the battery showed less than 1% charge. Awesome, no EV or hybrid modes for me at least to start the trip. I don’t think there’s anything that needs to be said about the GC itself; it’s pretty well-known it’s a nice, well-appointed vehicle. This one had heated leather, the big moonroof, and the Alpine stereo (thankfully!) and the big infotainment screen. So that part of the rental was nice. Playing around on Jeep’s website, this is a ~$71k vehicle, for reference.

So, back to that >1% battery and the powertrain. As people likely know, I’m not a huge EV fan, since I have almost no “city” driving nor time to charge EVs when I’m on the road. The Jeep has a “hybrid”, “electric”, and teaser “e-save” mode that on-screen promises to save battery (but it LIES!). So, I thumb the E-save button and hit the road in sport mode, which is the only way to mostly disable the EV side, and also hit the button to enable max regenerative braking. After nearly 700 miles of city, local roads, and interstate, the battery had charged to 80%.

I decided to give the EV side a shot. With 81% battery, I drove gingerly, never exceeding 50% battery effort, for a 22 mile round trip, with the cruise set to 55. Upon arriving, the battery had fallen to just 7% remaining. So if I had this as only an EV, I could only make one trip to town and back on a full charge. Unreal IMO, to take the base price of a GC from $36,495 to $60,490.

On the engine side, the driving experience was fine power wise, about what you’d expect, but it certainly doesn’t accelerate like 375HP… even my F150 on the stock tune will smoke this thing. The issue was, the engine was NOISY, and sounded like a platoon of boot-making elves with hammers after ripping a few lines of blow. I have a video I may attach. If you’re even considering this vehicle, make sure you listen to it before purchase. It’s that bad.

In the end, it averaged 23.2mpg over 1650 miles that ranged mostly from 50-75mph. Not exactly going to save you any money if you thought a 4cyl PHEV is a fuel saver… the Grand Cherokee itself is a really nice vehicle. The powertrain IMO is an absolute disgrace, considering I’m currently sitting in a ‘24 Expedition Limited that has the same MSRP and is better appointed, and is getting 21.6mpg over similar driving, plus it can tow nearly 10k.

I’ll give the GC 3 out of 5 stars; the full 2 missing stars are because of the engine and silly PHEV choices Jeep made. They didn’t commit to either; and therefore, both choices suffer mightily.

I like the looks of the GC 4XE. Interesting to know about all the other things you mentioned. Some of which can't be noticed on a 10 minute test drive.

Even going 55 on the highway is not where PHEVs excel. It's most efficient to turn on the engine once you're on the highway and turn it off when you exit and use EV around town. That's mostly how I drove my Volt when I had to go anywhere that exceeded my EV range.

The issue was, the engine was NOISY, and sounded like a platoon of boot-making elves with hammers after ripping a few lines of blow. I have a video I may attach. If you’re even considering this vehicle, make sure you listen to it before purchase. It’s that bad.
Yep, it's not only noisy, but it sounds harsh and unrefined, especially when it is cold. When it is warmed up, it isn't as bad, but my direct comparison is to the X5 Xdrive 45e, which has the 3.0L I6 instead of a smaller 4-pot and it sounds fantastic, and scoots as well. Stellantis really should have put the Hurricane in front of this trans, doing what BMW did (same trans).

Even going 55 on the highway is not where PHEVs excel. It's most efficient to turn on the engine once you're on the highway and turn it off when you exit and use EV around town. That's mostly how I drove my Volt when I had to go anywhere that exceeded my EV range.
The problem is, even when the E-save button is on, the logic is extremely liberal in its use of the EV portion! You’d think with a “hybrid” and “electric” modes, that the supposed battery saver would disable all but the regenerative braking portion. But it doesn’t. You can’t get a pure gasoline mode, even in Sport mode. 🤷‍♀️

I like the looks of the GC 4XE. Interesting to know about all the other things you mentioned. Some of which can't be noticed on a 10 minute test drive.
It’s definitely sharp. But with the 4xe as a $25k “upgrade” to the GC, it’s like spending $15k in carbon fiber upgrades with GM for a garage queen. It adds nothing to the experience, but carries downside and risk that’s not exceeded by the supposed gains.

Yep, it's not only noisy, but it sounds harsh and unrefined, especially when it is cold. When it is warmed up, it isn't as bad, but my direct comparison is to the X5 Xdrive 45e, which has the 3.0L I6 instead of a smaller 4-pot and it sounds fantastic, and scoots as well. Stellantis really should have put the Hurricane in front of this trans, doing what BMW did (same trans).
I guess I’m glad to hear your confirmation; that it’s not just my example. I don’t think I’ve ever heard such a noisy gasoline engine, ever. It’s as loud as an old mechanical diesel but without the torque or reliability. How Stellantis engineers and marketing ever signed off on this will be a mystery to me.

P.S.- no, a high moly oil will not have any chance of quieting this engine! 🤣

I feel like the non E 2.0 in the wrangler is extremely noisy on cold starts as well. It’s an are you kidding me this is acceptable loud noise.

Drives well but way beyond my ok for noise level and refinement

It’s an interesting idea the 4xe. I suppose great if you work with in its range and can charge for free at work. Or be able to make your commute round trip within the operating range and charge at home daily

I feel like 40ish miles would cater to more people

I feel like the non E 2.0 in the wrangler is extremely noisy on cold starts as well. It’s an are you kidding me this is acceptable loud noise.

Drives well but way beyond my ok for noise level and refinement

It’s an interesting idea the 4xe. I suppose great if you work with in its range and can charge for free at work. Or be able to make your commute round trip within the operating range and charge at home daily

I feel like 40ish miles would cater to more people
I’ve said before there are some ways PHEV/EVs make sense for people. Even I acknowledge people who live in the city and close to work can probably find some upsides with EV use, especially if their employers have free chargers.

However, the 4xe is essentially an additional $1000 per mile of electric range. It doesn’t charge the battery very quickly even when in E-save and max regenerative braking, which handicaps the hybrid and battery modes.

At the base model, $34k, you “may” be able to get over the clatter of the engine. But at $70k like this one, you’re up against the very best large SUVs in the market, and a jackhammer 4-cylinder just doesn’t cut it.

See, @Torrid? I gave the Jeep EV a fair shot. Still can’t justify the cost or shortcomings over a plain ol’ gas engine. This is a perfect example where the Hemi with MDS, or even a hopped-up 3.6 would be a much better premium option.

This being a stellantis first effort at hybridization it certainly shows. The claim to fame on these are the huge discounts coupled with ev rebates.

Which would probably save some gas being easier to move just on ICE.

I’ve said before there are some ways PHEV/EVs make sense for people. Even I acknowledge people who live in the city and close to work can probably find some upsides with EV use, especially if their employers have free chargers.

However, the 4xe is essentially an additional $1000 per mile of electric range. It doesn’t charge the battery very quickly even when in E-save and max regenerative braking, which handicaps the hybrid and battery modes.

At the base model, $34k, you “may” be able to get over the clatter of the engine. But at $70k like this one, you’re up against the very best large SUVs in the market, and a jackhammer 4-cylinder just doesn’t cut it.

See, @Torrid? I gave the Jeep EV a fair shot. Still can’t justify the cost or shortcomings over a plain ol’ gas engine. This is a perfect example where the Hemi with MDS, or even a hopped-up 3.6 would be a much better premium option.
I wholeheartedly agree on the 4Xe. I don't know who this vehicle is for. My experience with it is looking at the Wrangler because I was interested in one for a bit, so those are the numbers I'm using here. 40 miles of range just gets me to work to use the gas on the way back and it's not exactly a fuel sipper. Seems most are only getting mid 20s out of it and that's not a great tradeoff. If I was buying a new Jeep I'd want the 3.6 with the current available options. If I could charge on both ends and get in the 40-45 mpg range that might make sense. The biggest issue for me is it's not the right vehicle for my use as it would just likely be a pavement princess and I'm just not one for that image personally.

I fail to see the benefit in a plug in hybrid for my use. I have no problem with EVs obviously, but the half measure takes away any desire for the vehicle I would have. It seems to just add weight and complexity. I see there's certain vehicles that can benefit from it efficiency wise, but I think it ruins both driving experiences personally.

I wholeheartedly agree on the 4Xe. I don't know who this vehicle is for. My experience with it is looking at the Wrangler because I was interested in one for a bit, so those are the numbers I'm using here. 40 miles of range just gets me to work to use the gas on the way back and it's not exactly a fuel sipper. Seems most are only getting mid 20s out of it and that's not a great tradeoff. If I was buying a new Jeep I'd want the 3.6 with the current available options. If I could charge on both ends and get in the 40-45 mpg range that might make sense. The biggest issue for me is it's not the right vehicle for my use as it would just likely be a pavement princess and I'm just not one for that image personally.

I fail to see the benefit in a plug in hybrid for my use. I have no problem with EVs obviously, but the half measure takes away any desire for the vehicle I would have. It seems to just add weight and complexity. I see there's certain vehicles that can benefit from it efficiency wise, but I think it ruins both driving experiences personally.
To me, and I don’t yet know how it would work, I don’t understand why the PHEVs don’t have a high voltage alternator commuted into DC that was driven off the driveshaft. This would only sap a couple HP (similar to a fully engaged engine alternator) but give the battery pack much more significant charging whenever the vehicle is moving. I’d think that using the drive motors as generators probably induces way too much drag, but that’s definitely used in the max regen braking.

As this system is, it is merely a safety feature for people who forget to fill up and would otherwise be stranded. It’s like the “emergency reserve” on old dirt bike gas tanks… 😕

To me, and I don’t yet know how it would work, I don’t understand why the PHEVs don’t have a high voltage alternator commuted into DC that was driven off the driveshaft. This would only sap a couple HP (similar to a fully engaged engine alternator) but give the battery pack much more significant charging whenever the vehicle is moving. I’d think that using the drive motors as generators probably induces way too much drag, but that’s definitely used in the max regen braking.

As this system is, it is merely a safety feature for people who forget to fill up and would otherwise be stranded. It’s like the “emergency reserve” on old dirt bike gas tanks… 😕
Isn't that basically how the Ram eTorque works? I know it only uses that same generator to add power to the drivetrain so it does not have a separate electric motor to the wheels, it only is a low RPM torque fill and to supplement fuel use.

I’ve owned a Wrangler Sahara 4xe since October and I have a contrary opinion. I do agree that the 2.0 sounds unrefined when cold, but I find it much more acceptable in a Wrangler than I would in a luxury-oriented SUV like the GC. However, in my case the PHEV powertrain makes perfect sense; I have a 24 mile round trip work commute, so the 2.0 rarely kicks on. I’ve taken it on longer trips and both my wife and I think that it performs well. Since I plug it in every night the fuel economy has been even better than expected; over 2,600 miles it has averaged 47 mpg. I love it and my wife plans to take it over and sell her X1 when my term ends in 11 months.
I need an SUV with real off-road capability, and once that box has been ticked I only consider coupes or sedans. What could possibly lure me back into the BMW fold would be either the M5 PHEV or the G30 550e PHEV powertrain in a 2er or 3er.
But that’s just me.

What Jeep is 34k? The 4x2 base starts at like 36 and would be very hard to find one if they even make it. The 4xe starts over 60

Back