Handgun as primary

We’ve all seen the photos you’ve posted, there are plenty of “guns” in your house! :ROFLMAO:
1697632347026.jpg

I would carry and MP5 if it was legal to do so, but we cant......The guards around our nuclear plants carry them,,,it is quite impressive..so we the public are carrying mostly pistols, I suggest you carry 3 if you can,,,3 is a good number, chest, calf, and waist or pocket....you dont need alot of big pistol stuff,,but I like the theory of everything in 3s on some stuff...imho
If you end up banging through three pistols in a self-defense situation, they will write books about it and your story will be that of legends…

Occupation specific as stated by others. But look at law enforcement currently. Nearly every encounter they have with a firearm is one where they’re outgunned. That’s why so many agencies are throwing AR’s at their officers like they’re going out of style. My loadout for what I’d expect to rely upon would be an AR/AK platform, followed by an M92 PAP as a backup “long gun”, followed by a handgun on the hip. Of course that handgun is only if SHTF.

Occupation specific as stated by others. But look at law enforcement currently. Nearly every encounter they have with a firearm is one where they’re outgunned. That’s why so many agencies are throwing AR’s at their officers like they’re going out of style. My loadout for what I’d expect to rely upon would be an AR/AK platform, followed by an M92 PAP as a backup “long gun”, followed by a handgun on the hip. Of course that handgun is only if SHTF.
Well there is the issue that police cant just run around with sub machine guns at the ready.......they do have administrative things to do aswell, which constitute a majority of their daily grind. The typical officer does not "stack up" everytime they do a traffic stop

I argue that a pistol holstered is faster to deploy than a long gun in a slung hands free position.

We are on the same team in the AK world.

Well there is the issue that police cant just run around with sub machine guns at the ready.......they do have administrative things to do aswell, which constitute a majority of their daily grind. The typical officer does not "stack up" everytime they do a traffic stop

I argue that a pistol holstered is faster to deploy than a long gun in a slung hands free position.

We are on the same team in the AK world.
I absolutely agree. Great to hear on the AK. :)

Definitely agree with the issue of what is faster to deploy too. Many threats don’t wish to play the old “Wild West shootout”. Most run at the sight of a gun. What’s quicker (considering distance too) to deploy is what just about every gun owner wants and that’s the handgun!

So, another thread I started has went down a road that was unintended, but brings up a good question to the philosophy of use of a handgun:

In the modern day, should the handgun be treated like the primary? I think it should be, what do you think?
primary what?

If I can only have 1 I'd pick a handgun because I can have it with me nearly 100% of the time and confrontation can happen almost anywhere at anytime.

You can't have and carry a long gun with you anywhere really.

In any kind of protracted scenario (like the 92 LA riots) the short gun gets you to where you keep the long gun, or where I can maintain an easily defended position.

I agree with some on this thread. Although we SHOULD be able to carry a long gun, while impractical, most who carry a gun, carry a pistol of some kind, primarily. It is this reason that pistols, at least in the civilian role should be treated as a primary arm, with a training emphasis to suit.

If I can only have 1 I'd pick a handgun because I can have it with me nearly 100% of the time and confrontation can happen almost anywhere at anytime.

You can't have and carry a long gun with you anywhere really.

In any kind of protracted scenario (like the 92 LA riots) the short gun gets you to where you keep the long gun, or where I can maintain an easily defended position.
With body armor being used a the shot gun is beginning to look like a great idea . Talking to some of the people I know that went to the sand box they spoke highly of the shot gun for house clearing.

With body armor being used a the shot gun is beginning to look like a great idea . Talking to some of the people I know that went to the sand box they spoke highly of the shot gun for house clearing.

The shotgun is a great choice for many armed confrontations, although If I were taking on armor Id be using 00buck or a single slug, and if its house clearing standard thugs prob #4-6.

If I get to pick the time and place a confrontation occurs, and I have time to access and wield it the shotgun is awesome.

(I have a wide variety of barrel lengths and loads for a 12 gauge - 2- 50 cal lead balls with a SS string in between- dragon fire rounds rounds following 00 to light up a car. - and a whole slew of fun things if you have time)

The short gun is suboptimal for just about everything - EXCEPT being available when you need it.

Back