Ruger SR9c for home defense...lack of $$$ limits choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in a financial pinch (gonna be months or years before I can recoup) and I find myself using a clean used Ruger SR9c (came with 6 10rd mags) as my primary home defense piece; anybody else use a 'less than full size' handgun in such a role?

currently have a 'stash' of hollow point ammo consisting of Nosler ASP 115gr jhp's and Fiocchi Defense Dynamics 124gr jhp's...hoping the 3.5" barrel gives enough velocity for good expansion; if I get some spare funds what 'affordable & effective' ammo should I look at?

I can't remember if mine is an SR9 or SR9C but it's one of my preferred pistols. Feels so much better in my hand than my LCP.

I can't remember if mine is an SR9 or SR9C but it's one of my preferred pistols. Feels so much better in my hand than my LCP.
I still have the SR9 I bought 12 years ago. It was one of the most accurate guns right out of the box I've ever shot. It is actually my favorite 9mm I own. I haven't shopped for another carry gun in a while but a Ruger would be one of the first ones I look at. I don't think they make the SR9 and SR9c anymore.

I carry a 6 shot .357 mag Colt revolver that also serves as home defense. I haven't run out of ammo yet. If you're really concerned with survival, worry about the most likely threats; cholesterol, high BP, diabetes, excess weight etc.

Last edited:
I have two of them, love them both they have great features for a homeowner. They shoot nice, manageable recoil and a decent trigger. Very reliable as well I’ve never had either misfire. Accurate in my larger hands as well, the range officer always tells me that’s my go to piece if I get into trouble.
I 100% recommend it for a home defense piece. PM me if you have any other questions about it.
My wife likes shooting it as well, easy to rack the slide.
As far as ammo the SR9C shoots anything, I use blazer brass for target and whatever self defense stuff is available…….its not picky.
Just be familiar with disassembling, you need to push the ejector down when removing the slide …… a little different than my others but not difficult.

Last edited:
Look around for various velocity tests - of you can find any out of that specific model, great, if not other 3.5" barrel guns will serve as a reference. They may not duplicate exactly, but should give you an idea of how your ammo will perform in a similar length barrel.

Worry less about expansion and more about putting shots on target at the longest distance you might shoot inside your house. Qualify your Ruger with however many shots without an FTF makes you comfortable with the ammo you have the most of and load up the rest in your mags. At least 5 mags (50 rounds) to prove the ammo. Then buy the cheapest FMJ ammo you can find and shoot the pistol.

although I have other long guns that would work for home defense, I also have a SD9VE (comparable). Equipped with two 17-round mags, loaded with self defense rounds, I think it is plenty sufficient for suburban home defense. I think you're doing well with what you have, don't sweat it, OP

Using what you have works better than what you want but don't have.

If you're stuck with the 10-round mags, practice magazines changes - especially in the dark - using empty mags until you're very comfortable with it, and have a good way to easily grab and keep accessible an extra 2-3 mags (bag slung over the shoulder, waist bag, whatever). If you can swing for a pistol-mounted light, even a cheap one, do it.

thanks all but things changed...again; sold the ruger for bill $$$ since missed more work this week cuz medical issue; bye y'all...

I am in a financial pinch (gonna be months or years before I can recoup) and I find myself using a clean used Ruger SR9c (came with 6 10rd mags) as my primary home defense piece; anybody else use a 'less than full size' handgun in such a role?

currently have a 'stash' of hollow point ammo consisting of Nosler ASP 115gr jhp's and Fiocchi Defense Dynamics 124gr jhp's...hoping the 3.5" barrel gives enough velocity for good expansion; if I get some spare funds what 'affordable & effective' ammo should I look at?
Nice gun. Any type of FMJ is effective.

You’ve got a good gun, and good ammo.

Don't worry about either, until you get through this financial situation and decide you want something different.

But it will be a want, not need.

I love the SR9c.

Btw, I have not read the whole thread, but you can use the 17 round mags in that gun, too. They fit right in and you can even get a spacer to extend the grip.

I carried a 9c every day. Now I carry a Ruger LCP Max with 13 rounds. Little bitty gun. Big capacity. Tritium front sight standard. But the 9c is MUCH better to shoot and you can put a light on it.

My HD gun is a S&W Bodyguard M&P EZ in .380. So yeah, I use a less than full size. It's a really nice shooter and it has 8+1 rounds and I have a light on it, too, which I prefer for HD. I'm running ammo with Hornaday XTP hollow points and keep two spare mags beside it.

I agree that any bullet will do, especially in a budget crunch. but for HD I do like hollow points In my carry guns I like Underwood ammo with Xtreme Penetrators or Xtreme Defenders, which are both all-copper. Especially in a .380, I like the extra penetration. But in my house I don't want as much of that, because there might be a kid on the other side of the wall and I want to lessen the chance of one penetrating an exterior wall. But the XTP does it just about right in the FBI gel test. Enough for acceptable penetration, but not too much. That's a lot of thinking about stuff that boils down to inches, but oh well. With 9mm, you'll get all the penetration you need with just about anything. That's more of a .380 concern, although not a huge one.

The advantage of FMJ is that it is cheap and you can afford to practice with what you shoot. Btw, I found myself to be very accurate with the SR9 and 9c, both. A little better than I am with Glocks. But at 6 or 7 feet, the difference doesn't matter.

Last edited:

There are a couple of decent 9mm budget rounds. If you can have ammo shipped to you then that opens up a world of possibilities.

The Fiocchi is not great SD ammo, but it's not horrible either.
Nosler ASP is something I don't know about.

Remington green and white box 115gr JHP. IF (and that's a big IF) you can get it local for around $25/50, and 50 round boxes are rare, is pretty good bare bones SD ammo. 100 round boxes are more common but I wouldn't pay more than 40-50$.

Best thing you can do, if you can find the squeezing green to spend 100 bucks is to use anmoseek.com to find yourself some affordable Remington HST 50 round boxes. 100 should get you 3 boxes. This stuff (and you could shoot 124 or 147gr) will do exactly what you want 99.999% of the time, as long as you hit what you are aiming at. They work very fine out of my smaller carry gun.

Otherwise I'd just practice with cheap with cheap ammo, really figuring it out and pack your defense mags with the S&B.

Regardless: give ammoseek a look. I swear by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back