Ruger SR9c for home defense...lack of $$$ limits choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SR series of pistols are just fine. I own an SR9, SR40, SR45, and SR1911. They all shoot and shoot well. Use only factory mags in the SR9c you own and it will never fail you.

My only contentions is that the SR9c has a manual safety and it has a magazine disconnect. The disconnect is easily removed, but make sure you train with the manual safety.

I was in an upbeat mood until I read this thread. My heart aches for young (or old) people that must deal with medical bills that require selling your own personal items to satisfy bill payments.

I lived week-to-week in the early 1970s, but never that broke to be more than two months in the rears on incoming bills. I saw daylight on those bills and stayed in daylight from the mid-70s-on. I secured a worthwhile job in the beer business with adequate health care attached.

Been almost 50 years now, where the wife and I have lived comfortably..... what a blessing from Above.

I buy FMJ ammo for all my several pistols. Either Fiocchi, American Eagle or Federal brands. All shoot flawlessly.

I have full size but my H.D guns are 5 and 6 shot. What matters is it go bang and you can get to it if you need it

SR9C was made a while ago, back when things were made right before pandemic quality issues. It was made in the USA. 9mm round. What's not to like? Sounds great to me. I am sure the new owner will love it. Sorry it had to be sold.:(

2nd update (since I keep getting replies); this handgun is gone! sold along with multiple other poppers to offset medical bills & upcoming surgery; thanks for feedback but thread is no longer pertinent!

I am in a financial pinch (gonna be months or years before I can recoup) and I find myself using a clean used Ruger SR9c (came with 6 10rd mags) as my primary home defense piece; anybody else use a 'less than full size' handgun in such a role?

currently have a 'stash' of hollow point ammo consisting of Nosler ASP 115gr jhp's and Fiocchi Defense Dynamics 124gr jhp's...hoping the 3.5" barrel gives enough velocity for good expansion; if I get some spare funds what 'affordable & effective' ammo should I look at?
Except for their awkward field stripping takedown lever I think it's just fine. I bought a SR45 and it was a monster 👻, bought for 250 NIB , sold during the recent times and got way ahead or at least I feel like I did. Inflation and the market have juiced the value of things and its even crazier for Staccato, H&K and a few other premier $$$.

There are a couple of decent 9mm budget rounds. If you can have ammo shipped to you then that opens up a world of possibilities.
This can be spun off into a new thread if necessary, but what are others paying for 9mm rounds (each) ? I'm close enough to AIM Surplus and can buy ammo for $0.24 (each) every day, from PMC, CCI Blazer, Norma, Fiocchi, Remington, etc and personally, I've never had a glitch. I don't find anything online + shipping that's competitive to this. Chains like RangeUSA, Cabela's, etc, including regional chains, are typically 25% higher.

MidwayUSA has Norma for $15.99 while AIM is $11.95. Am I just lucky ? 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back