Fram Ultra 3614 cut open. 4 years/24,350 miles.

Would you be willing to wipe between the pleats with a white paper towel, take a picture of the paper towel, and post it here?

If I still had it, I would. It went out in the trash this am. BUT:

I did scrape the pleats with the screwdriver shown. You can see the result of a drop-test (what you are asking) in the first photo (spots on paper towel).

Honestly, it’s more like embracing the current technology and not staying stuck in the past.

“Penny wise pound foolish” is not a fair analogy and somewhat pejorative.

Pejorative, eh? Everything is inflammatory these days, isn't it, did you happen to read the title you wrote?

Penny wise pound foolish is a very accurate depiction of this IMHO; it's a $10.00 part and not the worth the risk to an engine.

But its your thread, I'll move on.

Pejorative, eh? Everything is inflammatory these days, isn't it, did you happen to read the title you wrote?

Humor is apparently not for everyone. Point taken.

Penny wise pound foolish is a very accurate depiction of this IMHO; it's a $10.00 part and not the worth the risk to an engine.

But its your thread, I'll move on.

Only after thread-crapping and insulting. Maybe it would have been best to just do that at the start?

Was it really filtering anything the last few thousand miles???
Ultras are rated for 20K miles, so there is probably some reserve in that rating. If you look at the inside of the can, there really isn't much debris - you can see some on the side of the can in photo #5, but it's not a lot. I've seen way more debris than that in other cut & posted filters with much less miles on the filter. I'd say the OP's engine is pretty clean inside, so not a lot of debris is seen. Plus, there were 3 oil changes over the period that the oil filter was used.

Ultras are rated for 20K miles, so there is probably some reserve in that rating. If you look at the inside of the can, there really isn't much debris - you can see some on the side of the can in photo #5, but it's not a lot. I've seen way more debris than that in other cut & posted filters with much less miles on the filter. I'd say the OP's engine is pretty clean inside, so not a lot of debris is seen. Plus, there were 3 oil changes over the period that the oil filter was used.
When I use a filter twice - it’s only going to see 10-12k net …
Like safety factors & getting under the vehicle for a 👀 around …
But, I wonder if the new oil helps the filter much if the filter is just dealing with internal combustion byproduct …
(short changes for GDI dilution)

So, legit question aimed at the site veterans here... Seeing as this small/medium sized filter is basically proof that 20k is doable on top notch filters, or at least the Fram XG's (though I presume Donaldson's/Baldwin's best would fare as well or better), is it at all logical to assume that, a filter of the same type that is twice as big as the OP's (or bigger), could go twice as long? Like, the FL1A sized equivalent or larger?

I know I will be berated by some, but math is math... I believe that a filter of the same type or better with twice the filter media should in theory be capable of 40k judging by the fact that this filter seemingly did not fail.

And to go down the rabbit hole... Is there not any super huge filter with synthetic media and wire backing, possibly twice the size of an FL1A, that could go even farther? Are there not any 2 quart (or even 1 quart) filters for like BBC's and diesels that one could put a remote location for the filter? Yes it's excessive and I'm not saying anyone should do it, this is a hypothetical/theoretical question about the legitimate mile usage for a larger filter of the same caliber.

Sure you could call that stupid. But again... Math. It figures that way. I mean, this little filter made it 20k+.

So, legit question aimed at the site veterans here... Seeing as this small/medium sized filter is basically proof that 20k is doable on top notch filters, or at least the Fram XG's (though I presume Donaldson's/Baldwin's best would fare as well or better), is it at all logical to assume that, a filter of the same type that is twice as big as the OP's (or bigger), could go twice as long? Like, the FL1A sized equivalent or larger?

I know I will be berated by some, but math is math... I believe that a filter of the same type or better with twice the filter media should in theory be capable of 40k judging by the fact that this filter seemingly did not fail.

And to go down the rabbit hole... Is there not any super huge filter with synthetic media and wire backing, possibly twice the size of an FL1A, that could go even farther? Are there not any 2 quart (or even 1 quart) filters for like BBC's and diesels that one could put a remote location for the filter? Yes it's excessive and I'm not saying anyone should do it, this is a hypothetical/theoretical question about the legitimate mile usage for a larger filter of the same caliber.

Sure you could call that stupid. But again... Math. It figures that way. I mean, this little filter made it 20k+.
Likely - it’s more trapping area …
The rating is considering the engine size as you point to with the big MC - a few folks achieve this with remote filter mounts …

Likely - it’s more trapping area …
The rating is considering the engine size as you point to with the big MC - a few folks achieve this with remote filter mounts …
Okay so let's run down the rabbit hole here... If somebody has a vehicle with a stock sump of 6 quarts, finds an aftermarket 8 quart sump and has it installed professionally, then places a dual remote filter system and uses two 2 quart top notch filters with synthetic media and wire backing... They have doubled the oil capacity and thus (if we can just play along here) uses 25k Amsoil SS oil then in theory, a 50k OCI could be possible.

I am gonna get fried for this aren't I? Still... I like playing devil's advocate for the sake of math and science.

Okay so let's run down the rabbit hole here... If somebody has a vehicle with a stock sump of 6 quarts, finds an aftermarket 8 quart sump and has it installed professionally, then places a dual remote filter system and uses two 2 quart top notch filters with synthetic media and wire backing... They have doubled the oil capacity and thus (if we can just play along here) uses 25k Amsoil SS oil then in theory, a 50k OCI could be possible.

I am gonna get fried for this aren't I? Still... I like playing devil's advocate for the sake of math and science.
How much more blow by are you going to experience while your engine gets up to operating temperature with double the oil?

A note on oil filter can size vs actual media area. You can't always assume a larger can that looks "twice as large" will have twice the media area. I've cut open and measured different sized PureOnes back when I used them, and a filter that looked physically larger actually had less total media area.

A note on oil filter can size vs actual media area. You can't always assume a larger can that looks "twice as large" will have twice the media area. I've cut open and measured different sized PureOnes back when I used them, and a filter that looked physically larger actually had less total media area.

So sorry for such a long list but I did my best here. I was hoping to find more with synthetic media but only a couple are...

Depending on the filter it may not even need double the media. I have some filters rated at 10k with 60 pleats & 15k with 78 pleats. BUT that is not the whole story either. You see counting pleats can be deceiving & more pleat counts may not equal greater media. That is where the DEPTH of the pleats come into play. You could have a filter with 78 pleats & not be very deep pleats but 60 deep pleats on the other filter & when you stretch out both on a table they could very well end up being the same exact length. So, reality is it could go either way & depends on the filters construction.

Depending on the filter it may not even need double the media. I have some filters rated at 10k with 60 pleats & 15k with 78 pleats. BUT that is not the whole story either. You see counting pleats can be deceiving & more pleat counts may not equal greater media. That is where the DEPTH of the pleats come into play. You could have a filter with 78 pleats & not be very deep pleats but 60 deep pleats on the other filter & when you stretch out both on a table they could very well end up being the same exact length. So, reality is it could go either way & depends on the filters construction.
Oh I understand. But I mean, there's got to be more than double the media or depth when comparing OP's filter to those massive ones. But for the sake of what you are saying, wouldn't an FL1A equivalent Fram XG have double or more of OP's filter?

Oh I understand. But I mean, there's got to be more than double the media or depth when comparing OP's filter to those massive ones. But for the sake of what you are saying, wouldn't an FL1A equivalent Fram XG have double or more of OP's filter?
Not familiar with that filter specifically but if there is an Ultra with double the media then generally yes. Then you must think about it holding up during those longer intervals which makes a wire backed endurance a better value. This is comparing a similar vehicle, age, mileage etc. You'd have to change the oil several times over that double duration as we've seen here though to get me on that approval.

The holding capacity is also dependant on the media type and design used. The wire-backed Ultra in this thread doesn't have as much total media area then the new non-wire backed Ultra in the same model number because they use two different media types. The total surface area in the new Ultra is higher so that the Ultra could retain it's filtering, dP vs flow and holding capacity performance.

Back