new style Fram Ultra XG3614

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that last bit of my statement, that's likely key. If the cellulose is treated, it's not going to absorb water.
So if that is the case - and again I am asking - it would point back to a material design parameter.

Then the question is still why do none of the wavy pleat C&P's show any sign of water emulsification.

Would be a theory to test. Soak one new ultra in emulsified oil/water, and one in clean oil for some lengthy period. The issue might be without pressure through, it may not exhibit the same behavior.

So if that is the case - and again I am asking - it would point back to a material design parameter.

Then the question is still why do none of the wavy pleat C&P's show any sign of water emulsification.

Would be a theory to test. Soak one new ultra in emulsified oil/water, and one in clean oil for some lengthy period. The issue might be without pressure through, it may not exhibit the same behavior.
As noted in the section of the article I quoted, you won't get emulsification if the water level is below the saturation point of the lubricant.

And yes, it would be a materials selection decision by the manufacturer as to whether they want water resistance or not, or what level of water resistance they shoot for, if any.

Ergo, I don't see it being unrealistic that oil with water below the saturation point, which would not appear to have water in it based on visual inspection, wouldn't result in some of that moisture being absorbed by cellulose media that's not treated to deal with water.
Especially on engines that are short tripped, oil doesn't get to full operating temperature much in cold climates, and those that might have a badly designed PCV system or one that's not operating well (ie, bad PCV valve, etc). Lots of factors involved when it comes to the level of blow-by moisture inside the engine over many cold starts and drives over an OCI.

Last edited:
Because as I've said many times, once a cellulose fiber absolves water and expands, it does not "snap back" into shape like a rubber band does. So even though you don't see any evidence of water contamination after a C&P, there was some water absorbed by the fibers over the OCI, and what you are seeing is the cumulative effect on the filter pleats.

Ergo, I don't see it being unrealistic that oil with water below the saturation point, which would not appear to have water in it based on visual inspection, wouldn't result in some of that moisture being absorbed by cellulose media that's not treated to deal with water.
Also to add, it could be that the cellulose based filters that don't show much if any wavy pleats do use a resin binder that helps "seal" the cellulose fibers from absorbing much if any moisture. We all know that not all media is created the same. Guess Fram will have to look into their binding resin and make some changes to help prevent wavy pleats to appease the customers. Maybe they already have, since this ugly subject filter was an early non-wire backed build per date code, and some newer ones don't look as bad ... or else they better ramp up the "wavy pleats crying towel" production to handle the outrage. 😜 😄

Boiled in water - once in can - once like this …
Have one more left to either use or play with …
(No waves by metal seam)
XG10575

IMG_9769.jpeg

Last edited:
Where do you think that water comes from? I'll tell you since it's obvious that you don't really understand an ICE. It comes from combustion blowing by the piston rings into the sump area. That blow-by going into the sump area will mix with and get into the oil. There is oil splashing all over the place below the pistons due to the journal bearings slinging oil up towards the pistons, and also some engines have piston oil squirters that bath the undersides of the pistons. So that blow-by can mix easily with the oil in the sump area.

The reason some of that condensation collects under the oil fill cap and other places like that as time goes on is because it's condensing on colder areas of the engine. In cold weather and with short drives, that collected moisture can become worse. Driving a car in Florida vs in Minnesota will have an effect on the level of water inside the engine. Also, the water that collects in a PCV catch-can is water vapor, some of which was also liquid water in the oil before the oil temps get hot enough to vaporize it out, that gets sucked out of the crankcase and condensed in the catch-can. It's apparent that you really don't see the whole piture and understand what's going on inside a running engine.

Did you look at that statement in the Machinery Lubrication article I posted earlier? You think that Machinery Lubrication has a bunch of armatures writing for them that don't know what they are writing about? Water can be absorbed by cellulose fiber type media, which can make them swell/grow and become wavy. Once the media swells and becomes wavy, it doesn't magically snap back into place once the moisture is burned off. If water absobtion is not a factor in oil filter wavy pleats then post up some other valid information that proves it doesn't and show what you think the real cause is.

View attachment 211414
Somehow all that justifies the new mushy fram ultra media even when others hold up fine? 🤣🤣🤣

Somehow all that justifies the new mushy fram ultra media even when others hold up fine? 🤣🤣🤣
Gotta say - when it was hot I turned it allot with a screwdriver and it was “mushy” - not technical - and don’t even have a basis for relative comparison - but this filter is in an odd position - cheaper filters stay mint - and the FE10575 has replaced the XG10575 IMO …
(For a long range high efficiency filter) …

As usual, you only read and comprehend what you want to with context distorted glasses on. I never claimed it was "justified", that's your twisting. The discussion is about what causes wavy pleats, and also how that really matters beside in a C&P centerfold contest. Show me how it actually matters besides being a visual aspect - crickets. You have any actual technical information to add to the discussion, or only trolling comments? 😄

If cheaper filters stay mint, then buy cheaper filters if straight pleats after use is the main reason to buy an oil filter. 😄

As usual, you only read and comprehend what you want to with context distorted glasses on. I never claimed it was "justified", that's your twisting. The discussion is about what causes wavy pleats, and also how that really matters beside in a C&P centerfold contest. Show me how it actually matters besides being a visual aspect - crickets. You have any actual technical information to add to the discussion, or only trolling comments? 😄
Do you have technical information proving that mushy filter media dosent matter? How do you know it doesn’t affect the filters ability to contain everything it’s caught or it’s effectiveness?
Not trolling, it’s an open forum for all that are members to comment on and anyone can read it.

Do you have technical information proving that mushy filter media dosent matter? How do you know it doesn’t affect the filters ability to contain everything it’s caught or it’s effectiveness?
Not trolling, it’s an open forum for all that are members to comment on and anyone can read it.
Some info says that filters can actually become more efficient to a point as they capture water and the fibers swell and essentially reduce the pore sizes in the media. And of course if the level of water is very high, like when the oil is actually becoming cloudy milkshake looking, then too much exposure to that level of water contamination can cause problems like clogging the filter, regardless what the media is made out of. The level of water contamination in the sump in a normal operating engine due to combustion blow-by is far from that level of water because it doesn't look "milky". And as mentioned before, the combustion blow-by will burn off for the most part every time the engine is ran for a while at full operating temperatures. Engines that don't get that treatment will result in more moisture exposure to the guts of engine and the filter. There are other bad aspects of higher concentration of water in the guts of the engine than not, like corrosive acid formation. Too much water contamination can also shorten journal bearing life, from what I'm finding. I always get a kick out the guys who say they fire up their sports car once a month during winter storage and just let it run for 10-15 minutes. That's the worse thing you could do for an engine !! :rolleyes:

1711934840872.jpeg

But it could cause wavy pleats in some filters, which will do more harm to the C&P beauty pageant judge's mental state vs the filter itself. 😄

Guess if you wanted to spend a few thousand $$ you could have Ascent run an efficiency test on a a new and a used non-wire Ultra model that has a 10K mile run on it and see how much efficiency it's lost compared to the new one. ;)

Last edited:
Some info says that filters can actually become more efficient to a point as they capture water and the fibers swell and essentially reduce the pore sizes in the media. And of course if the level of water is very high, like when the oil is actually becoming cloudy milkshake looking, then too much exposure to that level of water contamination can cause problems like clogging the filter, regardless what the media is made out of. The level of water contamination in the sump in a normal operating engine due to combustion blow-by is far from that level of water because it doesn't look "milky". And as mentioned before, the combustion blow-by will burn off for the most part every time the engine is ran for a while at full operating temperatures. Engines that don't get that treatment will result in more moisture exposure to the guts of engine and the filter. There are other bad aspects of higher concentration of water in the guts of the engine than not, like corrosive acid formation. Too much water contamination can also shorten journal bearing life, from what I'm finding. I always get a kick out the guys who say they fire up their sports car once a month during winter storage and just let it run for 10-15 minutes. That's the worse thing you could do for an engine !! :rolleyes:

View attachment 211537

But it could cause wavy pleats in some filters, which will do more harm to the C&P beauty pageant judge's mental state vs the filter itself. 😄

Guess if you wanted to spend a few thousand $$ you could have Ascent run an efficiency test on a a new and a used non-wire Ultra model that has a 10K mile run on it and see how much efficiency it's lost compared to the new one. ;)
Thats all good information and all but I don’t think anyone is buying into the idea that recent fram ultra media is becoming mushy because of excessive moisture.
It’s as if your trying to minimize the problem or portray it as though it’s just some unavoidable issue that can’t be helped.
Why is that by the way?

Thats all good information and all but I don’t think anyone is buying into the idea that recent fram ultra media is becoming mushy because of excessive moisture.
It’s as if your trying to minimize the problem or portray it as though it’s just some unavoidable issue that can’t be helped.
Why is that by the way?
Now it's "mussy" ... according to who? 😂 What's the criteria that determines its level of "mushiness". You're really digging deep, lol.

Again, as usual ... you fail to comprehend the actual conversations taking place. Instead, you try to read between the lines, twist it up and try to come up with something I'm not actually saying. It's a repeating pattern with your postings - why is that? Just trolling perhaps.

Let me lay it out in simple terms. I've said over the last 12+ years (you saw my old posts in the other thread where I said it because you didn't believe it) that wavy pleats are only a visual aspect and don't cause any real problems unless the media tears. Remember that thread? But wavy pleats don't tear unless maybe if they are widely spaced ... that's another topic of discussion.

This discussion is about wavy pleats not really being a "big deal" technically speaking. Obviously some here think the way a filter visually looks after use should be at the top of the list in an oil filter requirement. Some people are into that, great, whatever ... don't use filters that have wavy pleats. But don't claim it's "bad" in some other way without some proof to back it up. I used wavy looking Purolators for years - it didn't bother me because the media never tore and researching it way back then proved no ill effects except that it looks bad. But obviously when the Purolator filters started tearing media, a lot of people here went on to other filters for good reasons. If wavy pleats bother anyone, then use a different oil filter ... that goes with any brand that exhibits wavy pleats (or tears) after use. There are others that show wavy pleats beside the Ultra ... but wavy pleats on the Ultra has totally turned the ex-OG fanboy's world upside down. And of course they latch on to the one that's the worse like the one in this thread, and then think they are all going to be that way - which they are not (no worse than those Purolators I posted earlier) if you've been keeping up here, It's pretty hilarious actually. 😄

Last edited:
You think torn pleats are from water? 😂 Or you don't think water absorption by the media is a factor that causes wavy pleats. If you think water absolution has nothing to do with wavy pleats then tell us all what causes it.
No no no, I mean it’s just that the water has somehow been primarily singling out a specific manufacturer’s filter line. I know this because you said so.
I’m so ashamed to be a part of the blue planet now. Water prejudice!

No no no, I mean it’s just that the water has somehow been primarily singling out a specific manufacturer’s filter line. I know this because you said so.
I’m so ashamed to be a part of the blue planet now. Water prejudice!
It hasn't "singled out a specific manufacturer's filter line". Well, in case you didn't know ... Fram changed the media to a cellulose blend from the full synthetic media. You been hittin' the sauce tonight, lol? It's now susceptible to water absorption resulting in some wavy pleats - Just like those Purolators and Motorcraft I posted photos of earlier in this thread. Again, it's just not Frams ... it's possible with cellulose in the media regardless of brand. And if you payed attention to what Overkill posted, it's possible that filters with cellulose can use a resin binder that inhibits moisture absorption. That's a reason why some cellulose based filters don't have wavy pleats and others can. Maybe Fram will play around with the binder as time goes on ... time will tell.

The Ultra is now in the "wavy pleats club", and doesn't qualify anymore for the C&P beauty pageant contests. 😄 And it's really crushed a lot of OG fanboys along the way ... such a sad state of affairs. 🥲 ;) You think when Purolators are posted up with wavy pleats that people will lose their minds to the same degree? :unsure:

Last edited:
Funny how Premium Guard filters are not looking totally jacked up by water….

And those are clearly synthetic blend filters too. Their regular oil filter line and the XL premium filter line.

So… maybe welfare First Brands should….

Get better filter media….

Just like M+H need to get better filter media to deal with those tears they have.

Because I would not trust the welfare Fram Ultra filter from this thread that looked that bad after just 5800 miles to make it to 3 times as many miles and not have a major problem.

Nor should a Mann Hummel filter that is synthetic blended filter media be trusted to go for a long run either.

Last edited:
Funny how Premium Guard filters are not looking totally jacked up by water….

And those are clearly synthetic blend filters too. Their regular oil filter line and the XL premium filter line.

So… maybe welfare First Brands should….

Get better filter media….

Just like M+H need to get better filter media to deal with those tears they have.

Because I would not trust the welfare Fram Ultra filter that looked that bad after just 5800 miles to make it to 3 times as many miles and not have a major problem.

Nor should a Mann Hummel filter that is synthetic blended filter media be trusted to go for a long run either.
All media is not created the same ... as you and most here know that by now. The level of the cellulose blend ratio would have a factor also. Also the resin binder as discussed earlier could be a factor. While doing some research, I also found some info on some synthetic material used in filters can also absorb water just as bad as cellulose can. So who knows exactly what the "synthetic" part of the blend material really is in some of these filters.

Overkill posted info that showed some binders are purposely used to inhibit water absorption by the media fibers. So who knows what filters are using what kind of binder(s) in their media design. It's all trade secrets. But yes, Fram obviously has new media in the Ultra that seems pretty sensitive to water absolution. So if someone is hung up on having straight pleats after a cut-open then too bad for them ... they'll have to go find a filter they like the looks of better, one more suited for the C&P centerfold, and to forego the purchase of a wavy pleats crying towel. ;)

I don't recall you getting too upset about all those Purolators having wavy pleats back in the Purolator days when they were posted quite often.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back